Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Dusty ST

Put another years road tax on it, was going to SORN it  :doh:, so good to go through Summer 2019 :onya:
'02 GSX1400 K2
'08 1050 Sprint ST (RIP :( )
'17 1050 Tiger Sport

Speedy1959

Thankfully I dont have a "season" as I ride all year round.

Mick_J

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Monday, 24 September  2018, 06:23 PM
Thankfully I dont have a "season" as I ride all year round.

And me but I usually sorn two of them.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

MarkN

Fitted the top box and pannier racks today with the fitting kit supplied by Givi. Took a month to arrive but better late...

I should say fitted it with half the kit and half with stuff from my toolbox/garage cupboards as literally half the stuff they supplied was no use - possibly for a different bike :frustrated.
The bolt to replace the footpeg was too short, I had to use a nut and about six washers to stop the left rack side fouling the bodywork :jack: I can only think there was a spacer of some sort missing from the kit. This will have to come off and be re-done another way as it looks shite 

On the plus side she's now ready for touring :boogie: (When the Heath Robinson nut and washer scenario has been rectified)

Hooli

That's odd on the pannier rack, mine have a tube attached to the rack that lines up with the bolt hole in the rack.

MarkN

Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 27 September  2018, 05:34 AM
That's odd on the pannier rack, mine have a tube attached to the rack that lines up with the bolt hole in the rack.

I think I must have been sent a Friday afternoon kit as I would be willing to bet I should have had something like that - will just have to see what I can sort, I would imagine I may as well pull faces at my c@?k as get Givi to send me the right bits

Hooli

If it's any help mine look like this & the tube bit is part of the structure of the pannier racks. It should be an allen bolt but I had to drill it out years ago & buggered the thread so a longer bolt was used instead.

Kiwifruit

Take tools to check fixings are tight have found mine do loosen sometimes.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

MarkN

Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 27 September  2018, 05:51 AM
If it's any help mine look like this & the tube bit is part of the structure of the pannier racks. It should be an allen bolt but I had to drill it out years ago & buggered the thread so a longer bolt was used instead.

Cheers for that Hooli, it's the sort of thing I had in mind, some sort of sleeve over the bolt. Shame it didn't come with the kit :bugga:

Hooli

The tube is brazed into the structure of the rack, but as you say a shaped bit of tube as a spacer would do the job fine.

froudy

Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

DTTW

Drained the oil and installed temperature sensor for my new oil temp/voltage meter. Still struggling where to install the unit but have got some idea already.

Now as the oil is out I have golden opportunity to get rid of those marks on engine side covers. I will keep them probably unpainted. What is the best method to get rid of the old lacquer, machine or manual work?

KiwiCol

You can do it yourself with lots of fine grade sandpaper, but easiest is to send to professional polisher, lot less work too & they usually come up very nice indeed.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

northern

Quote from: DTTW on Sunday, 30 September  2018, 12:34 AM
Now as the oil is out I have golden opportunity to get rid of those marks on engine side covers. I will keep them probably unpainted. What is the best method to get rid of the old lacquer, machine or manual work?
I use eccentric grinder. Also scotch brite wheel for small angle grinder. Also dremmel tool with small scotch brite bits. This is as a first step...
And a lot of manually wet sanding... And then polishing with buffing wheel...

But side covers aluminium is not the best to keep it's shine. (For example, audi oem wheels are much better). Last winter, I decide to point it over. White (bad choice). This winter will pain them to repaint them again. This time, for sure, will also cover them with strong clear coat (2K or powder)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk