News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seth

Well this morning looking out my stuff for a trip over the water next week .
Only to discover my mot ran out in January. After lots of phoning found a place not to far away that could fit me in got there and all was going well untill the final part when the front brake was pulsing.
FAIL doh
Que go home strip clean and refurbish the front brakes and disc including buttons and fitting new pads .Not how I was expecting to spend my Saturday.
All seams ok now will give it a test in the morning and re-mot either Wednesday afternoon or Thursday at 8am before heading to the ferry .
:doh: :facepalm:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

northern

Bike is 99% complete. New oil and filter is in! Tomorrow, battery and Power Commander adapted map from @seth (:hat:) for Yosh+Akra will be installed, and then 14 will first powered up with new cams.
Really hope so...   :notworthy:

seth

Good luck buddy youll soon have it run in and then on to the dyno for a full remap
:cheers:

Sethbot Postwhore

Red Biker

Quote from: seth on Sunday, 15 April  2018, 04:43 AM
Well this morning looking out my stuff for a trip over the water next week .
Only to discover my mot ran out in January. After lots of phoning found a place not to far away that could fit me in got there and all was going well untill the final part when the front brake was pulsing.
FAIL doh
Que go home strip clean and refurbish the front brakes and disc including buttons and fitting new pads .Not how I was expecting to spend my Saturday.
All seams ok now will give it a test in the morning and re-mot either Wednesday afternoon or Thursday at 8am before heading to the ferry .
:doh: :facepalm:

Bit of a mare that Seth! Hope you get it sorted on time  :onya:
Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

seth

Cheers buddy
All should be good now I just that bit of paper  :frustrated:

Sethbot Postwhore

Hooli

I popped down to Coventry to see the Shackleton there do an engine run, it's a bloody impressive noise I must say.

Then on the way back I did some testing on a private road, I've always thought my 14 felt a bit slower with the newer style air filter in. They've got a smaller inlet & a longer trumpet so won't flow as much. Well tests have proved that a bike which has always been able to indicate 163mph now only reaches 158mph.

Anyone know of a properly made air filter for sale that doesn't restrict the quickest version of a 14? (K2 B/W obviously).

KiwiCol

Is 5mph at that speed worth the effort?
My top end is restricted as well, but mine is more to do with the lump sitting on it!  Mine thinks it's 2 up all the time!
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Speedy1959

Quote from: seth on Sunday, 15 April  2018, 05:27 AM
Cheers buddy
All should be good now I just that bit of paper  :frustrated:
Maybe your powder coating was on a micron too thick Seth !! :stir:

Hooli

Quote from: KiwiCol on Sunday, 15 April  2018, 05:55 AM
Is 5mph at that speed worth the effort?
My top end is restricted as well, but mine is more to do with the lump sitting on it!  Mine thinks it's 2 up all the time!

Yes because it feels slightly down on grunt when pinning the throttle in lower gears too. Only very slightly but it's there & annoys me as I know it should pull slightly harder.

KiwiCol

Fair call.   K&N any good?    Seem to recall someone modified the inlet on the avail air cleaners to allow it to flow better, could of been T24, not sure.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

K&N was my first thought as a replacement to be honest.

I've have been considering using my dremel & getting the silly intake trumpet out of the filter too. If I bend it inwards as I cut around the top it should just drop out without much effort afterwards. The other advantage is it'd get rid of the crappy induction noise it causes.

Hooli

Oh forgot to say, it ticked over 115k miles today too.

Hooli

Right I took a look at the air filter today & the differences are pretty obvious in the first pic. A bit of thinking later & by running my angle grinder around the outside of the trumpet I cut the four spot welds holding that restrictive trumpet in. Pulled it out, filed the edge of the hole smooth by hand (with the filter upside down so the bits fell out) and that should be that.

Test rides will occur at some point, but I'm confident it'll have fixed it. Shame I can't replicate the small intake trumpet to smooth the air, but the solid section at the top of the filter (which the original doesn't have) is about the same depth so should do the same job.

gsxbarmy

It will be interesting to see how she runs without the smoothed edges Andy. Years ago on a Ford tuning forum i used to be part of, a guy went to some pains to smooth off the square edges of the air intake box, and gained a bit if performance as it "smoothed" the air into the aur filter.
So a question - with a bit of ingenuity would the trumpet off the old air filter fit onto the new one oerhaps?
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Hooli

If I cut back the hole by about 1/8th of an inch it'll be flush with the inner edge of the filter, I might do that if it doesn't run right. I don't think the small lip will restrict it much, certainly less than the massive trumpet thing it had in before.

I did consider trying to swap the top plate but as I can't see what holds it all together yet I've not bothered as I need the bike to go to Scotland on friday. I might well disassemble the 'new' filter when I replace it next to see if that's plausible.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk