News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Biker

Quote from: KiwiCol on Sunday, 25 March  2018, 05:16 AM
That looks bloody nice Red.  :smitten:

Cheers Col, was hoping to test the difference on the 4 pots but on Ice now 😩🤘
Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

Red Biker

Quote from: Mister Fishfinger on Sunday, 25 March  2018, 05:24 AM
Fitted my lovely new powder coated centre stand.

Also assembled my lovely refurbed forks, with rechromed stanchions and vapour blasted sliders, but in the process I broke one of the little plastic rings that goes on the bottom of the fork leg. I believe this is going to cost me £21 plus postage ...  :facepalm:

Yeah nice work Mr F, I'm contemplating removing the main stand as pointless now I'm jacked up 😳

Mister Fishfinger

Quote from: KiwiCol on Sunday, 25 March  2018, 05:31 AM
I do like the finish on your fork legs Fishy & the powder coated stand.   :onya:

Thanks, I did the engine cases the same as well, they look mint now. Well, a lot better than they did before. The nice thing about vapour blasting is the alloy gets peened on a microscopic level, so it resists corrosion for longer. Hopefully the occasional wipe with an ACF-50 soaked rag will keep them presentable. They aren't as shiny as the original polished-and-lacquered look, but we all know how long that lasts.

KiwiCol

No blue to play with, so cleaned, adjusted & lubed the chain on the black. Pulled the new renthals off, & removed the top yolk to get access to the head bearings. Re-greased both (no sign of rust there btw) & re-assembled. Used a cold chisel (as per Grog) to gently torque the head nut down to 'just right'  :facepalm: then put it back together.
The head nut wasn't very tight originally, was surprised at how easily it undid. 

Then decided I hadn't drilled the hole correctly in the bars for the indicator switch locator, so off with that & have a good look inside the switch to see what the gubbins are in there for when I get the blue back.

Elongated the hole so it's now an oval & the switch sits nicely for thumb activation. Assembled everything else & went (very slowly - like walking pace) down my street & back a few times. No rego, no warrant, no licence plate. Steering is a little firmer now, which is fine by me.  I know there's a spec for how much effort it should take to move the bars & reckon I'm still well under that. Before you could blow on it & it'd turn. 

Also, uncovered the boat, got both batteries out, tested & load tested each then put them onto charge. Tidied up me shed (a bit) & thought about washing the car, only got that far though.  Cleaned me up, made a casserole & peeled the spuds ready for tea. 
Beer o'clock now I reckon.  :cheers:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Speedy1959

Col I re greased and adjusted my steering head bearings whilst my tank was off.
In my case I suspected they were on the loose side as when I went over a pot hole (on our beautifully maintained roads in the UK) I noticed a loud metallic clunk..
Anyway since greasing and tightening there are no more clunks!

grog

Normally im not into measuring bearing pre load, feel works. With head bgs i decided to do by book. Bought electronic spring balance, maybe $10 off ebay. Has lasted 5 yrs or so, good value. I did up by feel & then measured. Cant remember numbers but found i could go a lot tighter to get to specs. Once set never seems to change.

Mister Fishfinger

I made the same mistake on my Renthals, drilled the switch locating hole in the wrong place on the right hand side. I didn't want to make it into a slot in case it weakened the bars, so I cut the lug out of the inside of the switch. I hate cutting things about like that, but there you go.

I might pick up a spring balance and do the bearing adjustment thing, seems like a good idea.

Paulpmy

Freshened up the fork legs, just waiting for wavy discs now

Notty

Quote from: Paulpmy on Tuesday, 27 March  2018, 06:35 AM
Looking good Paul !what did you use?  polished mine but may change to a low maintenance finish :)
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Paulpmy

Rubbed them down with p180 dry paper, sprayed primer nice and thick, wet and dry with 800, base coat aluminium silver then clear lacquer fit it all back up ding dang do. Took a bout an hour and half so can do this every year gives a reason to be in the man shed.

KiwiCol

3 coats in an hour & a half?   Thought it was cold over there?   Ya have them in front of a blast furnace or boiler maybe?
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Paulpmy

Had my heater on in the garage so nice and warm in there

grog

Sweaty

Red Biker

Quote from: Notty on Tuesday, 27 March  2018, 06:38 AM
Quote from: Paulpmy on Tuesday, 27 March  2018, 06:35 AM
Looking good Paul !what did you use?  polished mine but may change to a low maintenance finish :)

AKA Black Notty?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk