News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seth

It's not a thing I've done
it's a @gsxbarmy top tip.

@Speedy1959 and @KiwiCol

I think the problem can be  those plastic clips are very fragile if you try to remove them you need to be very careful if you remove the pressure regulator they can become lose or even brake off.
I don't think it's a very common problem but if it happens it's a pest especially if your out on the bike and away from home.
Great write up speedy show just how to strengthen things up and stop the regulator coming off .

:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

grog

im still not sure on wire tip. what does it actually do. have had hundreds of pump assemblys apart, i need an explanation of problem. Speedy, id wrap that new pump up and store, looks brand new.

seth

Sethbot Postwhore

gsxbarmy

The wire tip - I'll try to explain

Basically there have been a few instances in the past - originally found by Gnome I believe many years ago on the old org - whereby the clip holding the assembly together breaks or comes off (more it springs off I believe) inside the tank so disabling the pump from working - so bike doesn't start. The fix put out in the past was to use an electric tie to hold it back in place, however over time petrol affecting some of the plastic electrical ties so basically the pump failed again!
Can't remember who suggested it, but the updated "fix" was to use stainless wire to wrap around the pump to provide extra support to the clip to prevent it snapping or springing off. So essentially wrapping the wire around before it happens is "preventative maintenance" essentially against the possibility of the clip coming adrift (as the last thing you want is for your bike to be disabled miles from home and having to have the tank upside down to fix a penny clip (which incidentally you can't buy by itself)

Hope that explains

@grog @seth

(I've also updated the Tech article with Simon's pictures - http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=1610.msg31038#msg31038)
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Basil Brush

Just fitted replacement set of HEL lines.

Followed Barmy's instructions to the letter. Worked a treat. Never done a dry fit before. Well pleased.

Dave - you are a star.  :smitten:
He who laugh's last - laugh's last...

Speedy1959

Quote from: grog on Friday, 23 March  2018, 07:17 PM
im still not sure on wire tip. what does it actually do. have had hundreds of pump assemblys apart, i need an explanation of problem. Speedy, id wrap that new pump up and store, looks brand new.

Hi Grog..

I fitted the pump I bought today and it all went without a hitch (Thanks Dave for your brilliant write up).
I will clean the filters on the one I have taken out and more than likely sell it on. (28,000 miles old 2005 bike)..
Whilst the tank was off I thought I would re grease both upper and lower taper head bearings...
Loosened everything off enough to be able to wodge loads of posh grease I have via a long slender artists brush.
Its quite a challenge doing it this way but I sure got plenty in all the way around.
Once everything was back in place I had to thoroughly clean the excess grease that had unwodged from the bearings.

Oh and a top tip from Seth re removing the HP fuel line.. He told me to remove from the fuel rail rather than the tank as the fuel rail connector is far more accessible... Thanks Seth.

Whilst the tank was removed I cleaned the frame and totally cleaned underneath the tank which had 13 years of grime on it.
Then took her for a spin...
I cant say there is a difference on how she runs but I did it for preventative maintenance reasons rather than because I had a problem.

Hooli

I got fed up with the torn wet seat on my 14, so got £10 of material off ebay & a staple gun.

Apart from slight creasing on the OSR I think it came out damn well for an hours effort & as a bonus it's more grippy than the original seat to ride on.

seth

Sethbot Postwhore

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Del

All Cleaned and polished - did the pipes with Harpic and it does work really well - a good clean - several coats of polish and half a can of Mr Sheen

All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

Paulpmy

Couldn't start my summer until the fork legs look ding dang do. Also had 2 new boots fitted, just waiting for the poxy sun now

Red Biker

Gave up on the 4 pots spent ages bleeding but leaking all over the place so changed the 6 pots from Red to Black and put them back on😩

Was hoping to do egg run tomorrow but ran out of time now 😡 as still need to bleed them!

Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

KiwiCol

Mister Fishfinger

Fitted my lovely new powder coated centre stand.

Also assembled my lovely refurbed forks, with rechromed stanchions and vapour blasted sliders, but in the process I broke one of the little plastic rings that goes on the bottom of the fork leg. I believe this is going to cost me £21 plus postage ...  :facepalm:

KiwiCol

I do like the finish on your fork legs Fishy & the powder coated stand.   :onya:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk