News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grog

worth a look you blokes. did mine yonks ago, didnt replace bolt, it wasnt loose. wacked some super strength loctite on it. a bit over a maintenance / service job but was just making sure. your post Buddy makes me glad i did.

Mick_J

I can't believe this sort of thing is still happening, I first experienced it in 1983 on my GSX 1100.  :whatever:
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

grog

mjgt, youre right mate, had forgotten. gs 1000 and gsx1100 in early 80s, same prob. cant really remember but think i just did bolts up on both. not sure. i wouldve loctited , even back then. probably more pro active then than now. my little stable was gs1000g, gsx1100ex and ducati darmah. still love them all.

Buddynq

Pretty sure Jeff put a Key in the shaft on his Katana
My garage floor will never rust

Mick_J

Quote from: grog on Friday, 08 December  2017, 07:22 PM
mjgt, youre right mate, had forgotten. gs 1000 and gsx1100 in early 80s, same prob. cant really remember but think i just did bolts up on both. not sure. i wouldve loctited , even back then. probably more pro active then than now. my little stable was gs1000g, gsx1100ex and ducati darmah. still love them all.

I had an 860GTS  :onya:

gsxbarmy

Quote from: grog on Friday, 08 December  2017, 06:55 PM
worth a look you blokes. did mine yonks ago, didnt replace bolt, it wasnt loose. wacked some super strength loctite on it. a bit over a maintenance / service job but was just making sure. your post Buddy makes me glad i did.

May be worth having the cover off and just loctiting (is that a word?) the generator bolts in the casing given what happened to Endless a few days ago where one of the alternator bolts came loose and chewed up the alternator (http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=2048.msg23593#msg23593)

@grog
@Buddynq
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

IanH

So, while you guys are battling away fighting 1st world problems I'm enjoying the sun in South East Asia....Thailand to be precise.

What did I do today, I took delivery of my rental Honda CBR125RR (aka Click) and took it for a 15 kilometre spin down the seafront and back.
Don't be fooled by the looks....its a beast!

Kiwifruit

Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Mick_J

Sweaty

northern

Annual winter bike-fun began. :grin:
This year major plan is to Yoshi cam install. Maybe (just maybe) repaint engine.
Minor plans are chain replacement and rear brake rebuild (new pistons).

Bonus plan: If I have time to deal with it - oil temperature indication. Start it 2 years ago,  but still not finished... :boring:

P.S. I also have a question - riding on a roads, which are under construction, covers engine with dirt, which with engine heat became hard almost as a stone, and which is very hard to clean. Other thing - this dirt is hard to access cause it's behind the oil cooler and header pipes.
How do you clean this kind of dirt?

Andre

Oil (motor oil, wd40, ballistol etc.) is a great cleaner for dirt.

gsxbarmy

I generally use SDoc100 Gel ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SDoc100-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Gel-Cleaner/182575310964?epid=1105484018&hash=item2a82562874:g:ybAAAOSwUoNaIB2X  ) as it sticks to the bike better than Muc-off and the suchlike which I agitate in those hard to get places with a long 45 degree angled brush (similar to what one uses for painting (like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-QUALITY-LONG-ANGLED-RADIATOR-PAINT-BRUSH-Decorating-DIY-Plastic-Handle-Pipe/311964641280? ), leave it about 30 mins and then hose it off. Sometimes you do need a second go at it, but generally, being a Gel and "sticking" to the engine, it works pretty much first time. If i can't use SDoc for any reason, then my next choice is Auto-Glym Engine Cleaner http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Glym-Engine-Machine-Cleaner-1-Litre/263181338343?epid=1504538425&hash=item3d46d486e7:g:zyIAAOSwEQFZqbBP

WD40 - as Andre says - is good - but can leave an oily film on the casings which you then need to get off. Great for removing oil and grease though, once of the best.

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

northern

Thank you Andre and Dave.
Issue is, I cant get SDoc 100 in my country, and ordering outside will make to expensive. But Autoglym I should have in store not far away... Should give it a try.

Blubber

Quote from: IanH on Saturday, 09 December  2017, 04:51 PM
So, while you guys are battling away fighting 1st world problems I'm enjoying the sun in South East Asia....Thailand to be precise.

Enjoy.
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk