News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawrie

I would definitely NOT put a tube down there, put a tube in & the oil-hole would be smaller=less oil AND a danger of it coming out.
Bore it bigger for a tube with similar oil-hole dia & the danger then is weakening the rod-eye, & still coming out.

If it were me, i'd internally chuck the bearing in the lathe, then machine an external knurl, this will force a bigger surface diameter, & give a 'bite-grip', chemically clean the rod & bearing, put the bearing in the freezer overnight, then the rod in the oven to get it really hot, a thin film of locktite if you like, the 2 should then be pressed together ( ensuring the oil-holes line up ) & bobs your auntie as they say. 
I DO have to grow old, I DO NOT have to grow up.

grog

Lawrie, great info. what i know about those rods is the alignment top to bottom must be perfect. alloy rods can twist, small end bushes reamed out of line. seems to be probs others with same motor have. not sure if this motor has alloy rods.

Hooli

True, but if I ever get to see them again they didn't work....

mlivkovich

Changed fork seals and oil and painted lower parts :imrgreen:

gsxbarmy

Nice - but in the last picture looks like the axle pinch bolts are missing?

@mlivkovich
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

GSXKING

Checked the tyre pressures in preparation for a big ride Saturday, going to be 34 deg C, very hard to handle  :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl2: :rofl2:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

KiwiCol

If you ride fast Chris, you'll get away from the heat.  Yeah?  That's my excuse officer.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Buddynq

Stopped for a coffee in town on way to work. Went to start and starter just spinning and not engaging. I rang my new best mate Irish Jeff and he gave me some advice and told a story about the Katana which I had no idea what he was talking about ???.

Anyhoo - managed to get two council workers to give me a push start - Yes, Two council workers.

Got to work and pulled the magneto cover off.  Jeffs story all made sense at this point.  :onya:  :cheers:

Turns out the bolt holding the generator rotor assemble, starter clutch etc was loose. Tighted up to spec (160nm) and all good.
My garage floor will never rust

Buddynq

Now that I know what the bits are called I have just discovered step by step instructions on what I did that Dave posted. http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=222.msg1589#msg1589

KiwiCol

How many K's on ya bike Buddy?  Just thinking when I should have a look at mine.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

mlivkovich

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Friday, 08 December  2017, 08:11 AM
Nice - but in the last picture looks like the axle pinch bolts are missing?

@mlivkovich

Yes. Took picture just after tightening axle...bolts are in place now,  thank you anyway! :cheers:

gsxbarmy

Quote from: KiwiCol on Friday, 08 December  2017, 03:26 PM
How many K's on ya bike Buddy?  Just thinking when I should have a look at mine.

It seems to be variable when this bolt (can) come loose on mainly K5's on Col. In the U.K. those later models affected seem to get the issue - if they are going to get it - around the 10-14K miles mark (16-23k Km's). Buddy's bike (I think) has done one 40K Km's and if so is the highest mileage i've Heard of this happening.

Worth checking. If you do find it loose though, tighten it up but replace with a new bolt ASAP, as given the torque, the bolt stretches slightly so can potentially come loose. Torque properly with a new bolt and that's unlikely.

I checked my K7 with a torque wrench and it was fine, so not all later engines were affected. But I've seen late K4's on have the problem through K7's. Can't say about the K8, but can't see why that may not also be affected.

Kiwifruit

Is this the bolt that can come loose from bump starting or is it the clutch basket that comes loose ?
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Friday, 08 December  2017, 04:49 PM
Is this the bolt that can come loose from bump starting or is it the clutch basket that comes loose ?

It's the bolt that holds the stator on that turns inside the alternator.

Not sure it comes loose from bump starting - but always possible I guess

Buddynq

Quote from: KiwiCol on Friday, 08 December  2017, 03:26 PM
Bike has 110,000km Col - 2008 model. Not a difficult task mate.
Interesting to see inside the cover but I must admit I touched the bolt by accident and realised it was loose.
Earlier -When I searched the forum I put in 'Spinning Starter" but nothing came up. I brushed over Daves post about a Stator because I thought it was mis-spelled  :whatever: - Had no idea what a Stator was until I looked at the parts manual :happy1:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk