News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grog

Hooli

I decorated my kitchen with the one bike I'll never sell, should be nice n warm to rebuild her.

Mick_J

When I was in the RAF I used the dining room table to rebuild two bikes, a honda 550 F2 which I rebuilt as a 605 in the sitting room and a BMW R65 when I replaced the engine in the dining room.  Even used a spare room as a paint shop once, that was a bugger to cover up afterwards  :whistling:
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Kiwifruit

My Dad used to ride Trials as a young bloke. He used to go to work on his trials bike. He had Nortons, Arials, and Gold Stars through the 50's.
My Nan would hear him coming and go open the front gate and front door. He then rode through the gate, in the front door down the hall past the stairs down two steps into, then through the lounge out the french doors and into the conservatory.
Being a good lad he always put a sheet of newspaper down in the lounge if he changed the oil there.

I do like the spare room as a paint shop idea. Dont see that  one getting the seal of approval from management  :happy1:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Notty

Tank going off for repair and respray so went for a ride to reduce the fuel in the tank - brrrrrr it was cold around 4 C ..waited till everything was flashing so less to drain off - all bike gear put away until spring  :bugga:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Hooli

I got another bloody puncture in the rear sunday. Got home & the spindle was sticking in the wheel so I used a 1/2" extension as a drift to tap it out as I've done in the past. Odd how a tiny tap jammed it so well in the end of the spindle that even with a drift poked in from the other side it wouldn't come out. Cut the end off the extension & got the spindle out, then the slightest tap with a drift did get the last bit out.

FFS, I'll have to buy a new extension now.

Oh & as to why it sticks, a garage forgot to tighten the spindle properly when fitting tyres once. It's done it ever since then but the bearings are fine & the spindle is undamaged so I've no idea as I can't feel a ridge or anything on the spacer between the bearings either.

Kiwifruit

Dear old Mums not doing so good. The last couple of days l have been going to the hospital which is about 100kms away.
Have ridden home leaving there around midnight. Takes an hour and a bit to get home.
My point.......
Found the rides very therapeutic. The bike runs like a clock. The nights are crisp but not shiver cold. There is maybe 20 odd k's of State Highway 1 Expressway, the pretty lines of different coloured cats eyes marking the road edges and lanes, its new and bowling green smooth with next to no traffic before going back to one lane but with plenty of passing lanes.  It briefly runs along side Lake Karapiro which glistens in the moonlight. Swing off left towards Tauranga onto Highway 29 and through blacked out countryside which takes you over the Kaimai Ranges. Something like 5kms of climbing turns before the summit then it opens up as you drop down towards Tauranga lit up in the far distance. I rode at a pace fast enough to keep my mind focused, opening the throttle at times to let it sing.
20 minutes later a couple of roundabouts, then uphill and I'm home.
Park the bike in the garage, peel the parking infringement warning notice off the tank, turn the lights off and say a silent thanks to the bike for a good ride home.
Therapy that money can't buy........

KiwiCol

Sorry to hear about your mum Col. Where are you traveling to? Cambridge?
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Mick_J

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Sunday, 12 November  2017, 11:18 PM
My Dad used to ride Trials as a young bloke. He used to go to work on his trials bike. He had Nortons, Arials, and Gold Stars through the 50's.
My Nan would hear him coming and go open the front gate and front door. He then rode through the gate, in the front door down the hall past the stairs down two steps into, then through the lounge out the french doors and into the conservatory.
Being a good lad he always put a sheet of newspaper down in the lounge if he changed the oil there.

I do like the spare room as a paint shop idea. Dont see that  one getting the seal of approval from management  :happy1:

I was lucky, first bike was for her indoors, so the paint shop was not really a problem, and it not like it was our house :whistling:.  The second bike was to share so again no complaints.  Now we have our own house permission might be harder to obtain   :rofl2:
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Kiwifruit

Quote from: KiwiCol on Tuesday, 14 November  2017, 09:21 AM
Sorry to hear about your mum Col. Where are you traveling to? Cambridge?

Yes Col Cambridge. She left to see her mum this morning.
Indulged myself in some more much needed therapy under a brilliant blue sky  this afternoon on the way home from my sons place out through the back roads of Matamata.
Folks that don't ride bikes just don't know what they miss out on.

grog

great write up kiwi, i agree , love my time on my bike. sorry to hear about your mum. ive had same issues, 87 yrs old. took car off her, thought it would be the end. not at all. she opened up a whole new life. now knows every care driver, taxi driver , bus driver. amazed me. she wants a ride on my bike, not sure.

Notty

Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 14 November  2017, 07:09 PM
great write up kiwi, i agree , love my time on my bike. sorry to hear about your mum. ive had same issues, 87 yrs old. took car off her, thought it would be the end. not at all. she opened up a whole new life. now knows every care driver, taxi driver , bus driver. amazed me. she wants a ride on my bike, not sure.
My mum said every one of the 600 taxi drivers in Cardiff (thats just one firm of dozens) knew her after I had to take her car keys off her. And she too started doing more than before ! :smile2:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Kiwifruit

Quote from: mjgt on Tuesday, 14 November  2017, 06:49 PM
I was lucky, first bike was for her indoors, so the paint shop was not really a problem, and it not like it was our house :whistling:.  The second bike was to share so again no complaints.  Now we have our own house permission might be harder to obtain   :rofl2:

Haha.....can't be that hard......... You could try "Hey Darl can you take the Credit Card out for some exercise this arvo" let us know how you get on ??  :whistling:

Buddynq

Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 14 November  2017, 07:09 PM

Go ooon Grog - Take her for a spin. My 81yo mother loves it. I have to take her whenever she comes up although sometimes I'm sure her heart rate goes up a bit more than carpet bowls
My garage floor will never rust

Buddynq

Rode bike in rain today - but really  :boogie:I just gotta type this one to get my 100th post up  :grin:
My garage floor will never rust

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk