Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwifruit

Del, Hooli, sorry you're cold. Warm here, come to lil ole New Zealand
We need more org members so we can have our own MCR
However, to fit the bill you will first need to be a refugee who comes from a country whose culture of violence clashes with ours. You will not be able to speak English, have no papers or passport and have a desire to burden the taxpayer and the services of this tiny country.
But if you fit the criteria theres plenty of room in my shed for your bikes, probably even lend you a pillow !!  :cheers:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 09 November  2017, 07:30 AM
It's got to that time of year when I again start thinking about wiring a heated seat pad off ebay into the saddle. I really must work out if I've got enough spare amps to do such a thing as I'm recovering the saddle this winter anyway.

This may help Andy
http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=432.0

@Hooli
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Hooli

Ta Barmy.

That is just how i was going to work it out. I know with just grips & a 100/80w headlight years ago it'd overload the charging circuit at low revs, because when stuck in traffic if the bike idled too long the grips would switch off as they were designed too at 11.75v.

I think now I'm running a LED headlight it's given me enough amps back but I will add it all up to find out.

Kiwifruit

Hooli....how much better do you find your LED headlamp. Im kinda done with playing with the bulb.

Hooli

It's good. I used the same one Barmy recommended a while ago.

I'm not convinced the spread of light is quite as perfect, I think it misses a bit out to the sides but 90% of it is there & a lot brighter so over all it's a lot better.

grog

Kiwi, ive had a good read about led headlights. everyone says theirs is best. i just use repco h4, draws 50w but puts out 120 they say, works fine. im not a night traveller, too many dangers, kangaroos, wombats. all tests say phillips ultinon is best led replacement. sure look bright in vids. cant see a single buy, cheapest is just over $200. for two. i tried led park bulbs in headlight, 3 just blew in no time, maybe a month. went back to normal, still going a year later. vibration i think, not sure really. im not bothered about converting. old skool seems to work.

Kiwifruit

Haha, yep I recall the 'Wombat Crossing' signs.  :rofl2:
This year I rode right through including night time. The bulb I'm using is so much better than standard, still be nice to have better lighting.

KiwiCol

It would appear I'm using the same bulbs as you Grog, they call them Plus 50, Plus 80, Plus 100 & Plus 120. They draw the same current as a std 55w halogen but light output is equivalent to a std 80w or 100w or 120w.  I hardly go out at night now, but even on cloudy days I can see the a patch of road being illuminated.  I remember when I first fitted them, was night riding then, much brighter & better distance, still, I felt that at about 120k I'd be 'out riding' the lit patch of road.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Endless

Put a Dunlop Roadsmart on the front and did oil/fork seals. Front end behaves much nicer now, Front and rear B pads up next. Happy with the rubber, not quite as sticky as some but does the job. Renewing rego today, she'll be good for another year  :wheelie:

gsxbarmy

Quote from: KiwiCol on Friday, 10 November  2017, 01:43 AM
It would appear I'm using the same bulbs as you Grog, they call them Plus 50, Plus 80, Plus 100 & Plus 120. They draw the same current as a std 55w halogen but light output is equivalent to a std 80w or 100w or 120w.  I hardly go out at night now, but even on cloudy days I can see the a patch of road being illuminated.  I remember when I first fitted them, was night riding then, much brighter & better distance, still, I felt that at about 120k I'd be 'out riding' the lit patch of road.

The Philips bulbs you guys are using are called X-treme in the U.K. I used them in both my 14 and my Explorer, but then came across the Osram Night Racer - this is the equivalent of the car Osram Night Breaker but more resilient for vibration that bikes can have. Personally I found them a touch brighter than the Philips bulbs.

I've since swapped to LED bulbs on my Triumph - same bulbs that Hooli has fitted to his 14. Draw less current than the halogens and are much brighter, they really light up the road and car drivers see them. And at £32 a pair (about AUD$52) are - in my opinion - good value for money. And they are plug and play as well.

I don't do much Night riding, but when I do, they have a good spread of light and are also much much easier to "spot" in daylight - I know this from runs I've bedn out on with others and have been tail end Charlie - easy to see when I'm coming!

At the end of the day it's whatever suits you personally right now there are some good choices out there

Buddynq

My garage floor will never rust

KiwiCol

Nice.  Did he polish something for ya?  You know a cup of tea & a biscuit get your rims polished, cup of tea & cake gets the exhaust done.   :whistling:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Kiwifruit

I can just see it Col.......
with only a footpeg hanger to go.

......perhaps an after dinner mint sir?
No uck off im full........but monsieur tiz only wafer thin !! :whistling:

Buddynq

My garage floor will never rust

gsxbarmy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk