Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

Blubber

Quote from: seth on Sunday, 17 September  2017, 07:11 PM
glad i found it before heading over the water tho.

We have bearing shops and motor cycle repair shops too.  It not that all civilization ends after a ferry trip  :rofl2:
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

seth

i know that but i come over the water for the great food , fantastic people and amazing beers  :cheers:.
all better than fixing the bike .
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

RossP

gsxbarmy

Fitted a new set of Michelin PR4 Trails to my Explorer. Found that my original Metzeler tyre had blistered on the offside at just 4,300 miles (this has happened to a number of Explorer owners between 4,000 - 4,500 miles) so front tyre has gone back to Metzeler/Pirelli for inspection and review (as it should not have been worn out / blistered at that mileage - rear still has plenty of life).

Anyway, have to say, immensely impressed with the new Michelins, much much smoother ride and grip - forgotten how good they are (as I had PR3's on my 14 when I had it, and they were superb!)

And you can get cashback on your purchase in the UK until 30th Sept - even better!

http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=1764.0
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Globalrider

Hi Dave - I swear by the PR3 on my 14s
I will be very interested to hear what you say about the PR4 Tails.
Do you go off road much??
Cheers
Stan
I need to go somewhere I've not been but won't know until I get there!

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Globalrider on Wednesday, 20 September  2017, 09:08 AM
Hi Dave - I swear by the PR3 on my 14s
I will be very interested to hear what you say about the PR4 Tails.
Do you go off road much??
Cheers
Stan

Not a lot Stan, no, dusty trails at best. If I did more/ a lot of off-road then I would probably have fitted the Michelin Anakee's which have a deeper tread (more similar to the original Metzeler's.

KiwiCol

Off road for Barmy is a shingle drive & grass berm! with the occasional beach jaunt.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Globalrider

I have TKC70s on my R1200GS - They are pretty good and I feel confident on the logging roads given it's a pretty heavy bike.

I had Anakees on it before - found the front got pretty lumpy after 4000 miles - seems a common issue as all my buddies riding GSs had the same problem.  Hidies seem to  be pretty good but very noisy on tarmac although most 'kobbie' type treads whine as they wear.

'Dirt' riding has taken a back seat now and as I approach 70, I'm looking more and more to the 'gentleman' trips!!! Hence the Trumpet Trophy!! I guess I'm softening from my motocross days and wild 120-50 mile/hour runs through Montana! Come to think of it WE haven't done a long run for a couple of years now - too many other toys to play with!!!
:hat:
Stan
I need to go somewhere I've not been but won't know until I get there!

Mrg

Hi guys
New front and rear sprockets on order and chain ,as well as hid light set and rear wheel bearings  and a service book this month to ,so the old girl will be good to go  :cheers:  :onya:
look check and look again  then you see the fool

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Globalrider on Thursday, 21 September  2017, 02:25 AM
I have TKC70s on my R1200GS - They are pretty good and I feel confident on the logging roads given it's a pretty heavy bike.

I had Anakees on it before - found the front got pretty lumpy after 4000 miles - seems a common issue as all my buddies riding GSs had the same problem.  Hidies seem to  be pretty good but very noisy on tarmac although most 'kobbie' type treads whine as they wear.

'Dirt' riding has taken a back seat now and as I approach 70, I'm looking more and more to the 'gentleman' trips!!! Hence the Trumpet Trophy!! I guess I'm softening from my motocross days and wild 120-50 mile/hour runs through Montana! Come to think of it WE haven't done a long run for a couple of years now - too many other toys to play with!!!
:hat:
Stan

Interesting what you say Stan as the Anakees are very similar to the Metzeler Tourance Next that were fitted as standard to mine and speaking with the tyre guys yesterday they say a lot of the GS1200 owners come in and have the PR4 Trails fitted. I found mine just rolls that much easier now, even when pushing it around the garage. Never was a "dirt" rider myself (in every respect LOL)

mlivkovich

Just polished exhaust system... :whistling:

Red Biker

Nice polishing there 👍
You do realise it's a full time job to keep them that way 😔

Cheers
Red
Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

mlivkovich

Quote from: Red Biker on Saturday, 23 September  2017, 12:59 AM
Nice polishing there 👍
You do realise it's a full time job to keep them that way 😔

Cheers
Red

Honestly, it took about an hour to bring back the shine. This is stock chromed exhaust, so it will last with minimal maintenance.

Speedy1959

I laughingly thought I would "just chuck on the pair of new centre stand springs"...
God almighty what a pig of a job.
My bike was missing the outer spring so the center stand was barely supported in the unused position...
I removed the center stand swivel nit and pushed the long bolt out as far as it would go (till it hit the exhaust stub (silencers were removed))
That allowed some movement of the stand..
I used some boot laces and attached to the rear wheel (1st gear engaged)..
If a neighbor hadn't come along when he did to give me help, I doubt very much that it would have been done
NEVER AGAIN !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk