Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedy1959

Took Coils off and tested their resistance (Primary and secondary.
Both absolutely in the middle of the specs!! :clapping:
Whilst the coils were out I gave the HT leads a bloody good clean with brake cleaner and then wiped over them with silicon spray.

I was so ecstatic I decided to finally balance the throttle boddies.
They were indeed out, not massively but they were out!

All is sweet and balanced now

grog

Speedy1959

Quote from: grog on Wednesday, 24 May  2023, 07:12 PMDidit ride better Speedy??

Hi Grog..
Tickover is "sewing machine smooth"..
Going out for a ride in a couple of hours so I will keep you posted..
I cleaned the HT leads thanks to your input.

S

Hooli

Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 23 May  2023, 11:03 PMUpdate on that ^^ (to save quoting it all again).

New sensor fitted in my lunch break as I'm working from home. My 14 now runs without error codes, I'll try it again in 4hrs or so when I've finished for the day to see what the fast idle is like, I had to tweak it a bit but not sure it was enough. Somewhere on here someone once quoted how to set the fast idle up, I can recall a voltage of 1.195v but not where or when to measure it.

But it's looking good for fixing the C28 error. I'll be off to a bike night tonight so I'll check if it works when ridden then, but I'm confident about it.

Ride report....

No error codes but it's a sack of shit at very low throttle. I'll have to do the full fast idle setup as I reckon the STV flaps being in slightly the wrong place due to that will be messing up the airflow etc. As soon as I open the throttle enough it's as good as ever, so I bet that's the point the flaps open further.

I might do it tonight & find out...

Speedy1959

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Wednesday, 24 May  2023, 07:14 PM
Quote from: grog on Wednesday, 24 May  2023, 07:12 PMDidit ride better Speedy??

Hi Grog..
Tickover is "sewing machine smooth"..
Going out for a ride in a couple of hours so I will keep you posted..
I cleaned the HT leads thanks to your input.

S

Well I did a decent run out today (Beautiful weather with blue skies and a cool breeze)..
Definitely smoother due to the throttle balance..
A different "feel" when all cylinders are on the same page..
I would say shes now Good enough!
With my recent trouble with the bike running very rough at low throttle inputs the thing that made the biggest difference in my case was cleaning the Cam position sensor..
I did replace the plugs as one of them was VERY difficult to get a resistance reading off, And when I did the reading was different than the other 3 Plugs !
The thing I notice that IS different (and I am being fussy now) is that the fast idle drops a Tad prematurely when cold!
In this milder weather that doesn't matter but in winter it may do !
We shall see.

S.

Hooli

Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 24 May  2023, 09:28 PM
Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 23 May  2023, 11:03 PMUpdate on that ^^ (to save quoting it all again).

New sensor fitted in my lunch break as I'm working from home. My 14 now runs without error codes, I'll try it again in 4hrs or so when I've finished for the day to see what the fast idle is like, I had to tweak it a bit but not sure it was enough. Somewhere on here someone once quoted how to set the fast idle up, I can recall a voltage of 1.195v but not where or when to measure it.

But it's looking good for fixing the C28 error. I'll be off to a bike night tonight so I'll check if it works when ridden then, but I'm confident about it.

Ride report....

No error codes but it's a sack of shit at very low throttle. I'll have to do the full fast idle setup as I reckon the STV flaps being in slightly the wrong place due to that will be messing up the airflow etc. As soon as I open the throttle enough it's as good as ever, so I bet that's the point the flaps open further.

I might do it tonight & find out...

Yeah, wasn't that....

It was cause I'm a plonker.

Over the years I've lost a few of the springs in the balancing mechs between the throttle bodies, I've replaced them with what I've got to hand or ones that look about right from the bike shop. Well it turns out if you use too soft a spring on the adjuster between no2 & no3 then it can't overcome the return springs on the TBs. Meaning until I opened the throttle slightly it was running on 2 cylinders.

Clicked what it was last night, took the TBs off yet again, swapped the soft spring to an outside adjuster & put a stiffer one in the middle & it's all good. Refitted them, balanced things up & set the fast idle.

Rode to work this morning & she's running sweet as a nut. Front brake is a little soft from standing so I'll see if it improves or poke it over the weekend, but she's back on the road again.

Eric GSX1400K3

So from all that, what I understand is that I can expect to be replacing the 20 yo STP sensor to cure the C28 error code
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Thursday, 25 May  2023, 11:03 PMSo from all that, what I understand is that I can expect to be replacing the 20 yo STP sensor to cure the C28 error code

Pretty much yeah, it seems to have fixed mine when I knew the STVA wasn't the issue.

hard road

set the TPS as close as I could to spec (1121) and set the STPS bang on. the off-on throttle is much better but not perfect !!!  just blocked the PAIRS for now, will remove the lot when i get some blanking plates.
something I always do when I get another bike is remove the header bolts for a clean up and re-grease. one was way too tight but got it out in the end.
and while I was their, polished up the headers nice and shiny  :cool:

Will14

The thing I notice that IS different (and I am being fussy now) is that the fast idle drops a Tad prematurely when cold!
In this milder weather that doesn't matter but in winter it may do !
We shall see.

S.
[/quote] Hi Speedy, you may find in colder weather the fast idle holds for longer, i'm fairly sure that it works off the ambient temperature

Cheers

Pete

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 26 May  2023, 12:17 AM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Thursday, 25 May  2023, 11:03 PMSo from all that, what I understand is that I can expect to be replacing the 20 yo STP sensor to cure the C28 error code

Pretty much yeah, it seems to have fixed mine when I knew the STVA wasn't the issue.
Thanks Hooli, I just need to rule out that it's not the STVA  pretty sure it isn't, as I get the right fast idle on a cold start up, so the actuator is working as it should.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 26 May  2023, 07:56 AM
Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 26 May  2023, 12:17 AM

Thanks Hooli, I just need to rule out that it's not the STVA  pretty sure it isn't, as I get the right fast idle on a cold start up, so the actuator is working as it should.

Try that test the yank forum I found suggested.

Test the SPS for resistance between power and ground. If it varies as you turn the sensor it's faulty. That's how mine had failed, only the sensor feed should vary as you turn it.

I forget the colours but the manual tells you.

Eric GSX1400K3

Hooli

I did 140 mile of 'testing' and can confirm my 14 is fixed. Which I'm rather glad about.

I'd upload a pic but they are too big on my phone, I'll do it another time.

T250

Been chasing an annoying issue with low down running, found a faulty IAP sensor, replaced that, decided to replace all vacuum hoses - with B&W silicon just to get the air through quicker of course!  :laugh:  While tank was off checked TPS & STPS- all okay, so I thought I'd check the teabag, inside my tank it looks brand new - not bad for a 21 year old bike, tea bag was clean but felt quite stiff, put new tea bag in, I had previously cable tied the regulator meaning to go back in and use wire, the ethanol had made the cable tie enlarge and was hanging very loose not doing anything, now wire ties in place.
Low down running much better now and throughout the rev range.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk