News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grog

Mate, my bike once sounded so bad.Wife could even hear 100 metres away. I thought gearbox was rooted. Turned out chain had rusty link. Had been cared for with cleaning and spray chain lube, Motul. Waste of time that spray lube. New chain, use gear oil, vmx Castrol, doesnt smell. Such a beautiful quiet running chain, can hear it just loves it.How i lube chain on here somewhere.

Hooli

Quote from: Nic on Wednesday, 03 May  2023, 09:19 AMWemoto Au, bearing= $34.85 posted. Seal = $26.17 posted. Got the clutch slave dust cover at Blue City Motorcycles $19.45 + $13 post, they could have put it in an envelope for $1.50 so the dust cover is a bend over for sure.
That noise I have sounds like chain with tight spot but the chain is good all around. Seeing as I'm doing carrier bearing, seal, clutch seal mod, I've decided I'm going to do fr and rear wheel bearings as well as the chain and sprockets and new tyres. I'll have a look at the swing arm while I'm at it, I spose I should take it out and re grease it.

Some time later: Rightio then, just ordered wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, chain kit and tyres (Angel GT 1s)
All up = $973.64

A smear of grease on the shock pivots is worth doing too, stops the inner part of the bush seizing to them & tearing the bush apart.

Rude not to really as you'll have them half off for the swingarm anyway.

Tony Nitrous

Busy day doing other stuff. Did have a quick look under the seat of the Busa..

...... 🤔.

Not a huge fan of PowerCommanders on bikes that can be flashed, but this one's seems pretty healthy. Two Gen-2 owners I know both flash bikes so mine will still need it for everything a crude PC5 can't do, but I may dyno it with and without the Powercommander first to see how it is.

Nic

Quote from: grog on Wednesday, 03 May  2023, 05:31 PMMate, my bike once sounded so bad.Wife could even hear 100 metres away. I thought gearbox was rooted. Turned out chain had rusty link. Had been cared for with cleaning and spray chain lube, Motul. Waste of time that spray lube. New chain, use gear oil, vmx Castrol, doesnt smell. Such a beautiful quiet running chain, can hear it just loves it.How i lube chain on here somewhere.
I'm guilty of using the chain lube stuff and I don't like the buildup that sticks to the chain. I do have some gear oil here and have used it but would like to know the best way to apply it so you get a good lube but not have it drip and fling all over the place.

grog

Have written b4 but cant find. My way, up on centrestand. Lay an old sheet under chain run. Clean off chain, rag brush whatever, use wd 40 or kero. Wipe it all off. Sit behind bike, oil can with vmx, spin wheel, apply oil to either side link plates. Usually 2 turns of chain either side, use rivet mark on chain. Then multiple turns of rear wheel, lots. Wipe it all off, rag on chain, spin rear wheel. I then do a 20k ride, a few drips, wipe them all down, Thats it, chain then sings for another 1 to 2 th ks. You can hear when it needs another go. Speedy uses 140, i use 80, never had a problem. Normal gear oil stinks, vmx doesnt. EK chain i find superb, strongest tensile in specs, nearly 20th ks, no adjustment. IMO only this post.

Nic

Sounds good mate, thanks. I did buy EK chain, had plenty of em before.
I think I'll start a thread when I get started, ie, when all the parts are here. Thanks again.

KiwiCol

I do my chain exactly the same way Grog, but most often not the 20k ride, just leave the cloth under it for the night to catch any errant drips.   Now there's an opening . . . :happy1:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

GSXKING

I've been a big fan of Motul chain lubes for many years, they go on white so you can see where you've sprayed. Drys clear & quickly, leaving overnight there is little to no fling. Cleaning the chain off is quite a chore so I probably do it once a year.
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Nic

Quote from: GSXKING on Wednesday, 03 May  2023, 08:11 PMI've been a big fan of Motul chain lubes for many years, they go on white so you can see where you've sprayed. Drys clear & quickly, leaving overnight there is little to no fling. Cleaning the chain off is quite a chore so I probably do it once a year.
That sounds like me, I'm gonna give the oil a go with the new chain n sprockets , I like the sound of it, I hate how my chain is always gooey but still looks dry with the spray stuff.

Eric GSX1400K3

Been using vmx 80 on the 1400 since I read grogs post on that. Works so well. Running a RK Takasago chain atm, just so smooth
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

T250

I've been using gear oil for a while now, easier to clean off, always thought the chain lubes were a bit like grinding paste...(must be a reason Scottoilers are popular).

Nic

I said I bought the EK chain  :embarrassed: It's the RK Takasago.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Nic on Thursday, 04 May  2023, 07:12 AMI said I bought the EK chain  :embarrassed: It's the RK Takasago.
good choice Nic, oem fitment for these actually.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Nic

Good to know Eric thanks.
The Carrier bearing and seal arrived, it's an All Balls bearing, didn't make mention of that on their site.
So should I just chuck it, I'm really hoping the wheel bearings aren't ABs when they get here  :furious:

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Nic on Thursday, 04 May  2023, 02:04 PMGood to know Eric thanks.
The Carrier bearing and seal arrived, it's an All Balls bearing, didn't make mention of that on their site.
So should I just chuck it, I'm really hoping the wheel bearings aren't ABs when they get here  :furious:
just means you will be changing them earlier than planned....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk