Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grog

Yesterday dropped two copper washers taking out hose to caliper bolt. Found one,not the other. Worried me. Today took off spring plate on top of pads, here it was jammed between caliper and pad edge, all out of shape. Could of caused damage,or worse. Happy now.

Chappers

Assembled Abba sky lift, fantastic bit of kit, wish I'd got one when I had the hardly. All 3 callipers removed and sent to Powerhouse for a full refurbishment, front forks removed and currently covered in paint stripper and engine casing dropped off for powder coating.

Notty

Quote from: Chappers on Friday, 17 March  2023, 02:31 AMAssembled Abba sky lift, fantastic bit of kit, wish I'd got one when I had the hardly. All 3 callipers removed and sent to Powerhouse for a full refurbishment, front forks removed and currently covered in paint stripper and engine casing dropped off for powder coating.
Beware Powerhouse paint does come off the calibers if brake fluid is spilled  :bugga:
@chappers
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Chappers

Quote from: Notty on Friday, 17 March  2023, 02:50 AM
Quote from: Chappers on Friday, 17 March  2023, 02:31 AMAssembled Abba sky lift, fantastic bit of kit, wish I'd got one when I had the hardly. All 3 callipers removed and sent to Powerhouse for a full refurbishment, front forks removed and currently covered in paint stripper and engine casing dropped off for powder coating.
Beware Powerhouse paint does come off the calibers if brake fluid is spilled  :bugga:
@chappers

I think all paint comes off if brake fluid is spilled

Milts

Firstly congratulations! loving the new look to the Forum.  :cheers:

It seems March is Brake month from reading other members posts recently.

I've been meaning to strip, clean and replace my callipers with new seals but never have.
So yesterday I mustered up the courage, took them both off, split one calliper in two removed the middle piston, not too sure what horrors or anything lay inside?

Having seen pictures on here where the insides are in a right ol' state has always had me thinking about mine, well I needn't have worried, all looks perfectly clean.

Prior to stripping callipers I felt there was slight binding when rotating front wheel, so maybe pistons sticking slightly, I hadn't bothered ordering any parts beforehand.

So now thinking, do I continue to strip clean and order new parts or let the pros do it?

Well for my piece of mind I think it's better to have new seals fitted by the pros.

So I've reassembled callipers, boxed them up and sending them off to Powerhouse Uk today.

To be continued. :flins:

Hooli

Pfft, you'd done the difficult bit!

The seals are just square O-rings that you put in a groove, it's stupidly easy.

Milts

I've never changed caliper seals before but now you've described their square shape and how they sit in their location seems pretty straight forward now.

l seem to lose confidence in the ability to tackle some things these days, always been a bloody worrier.  :rolleyes: Anyway callipers were posted off first this morning.

Hopefully others reading this will be better informed now.

Dwain Dibley

Sometimes Milts, you just have to go for it, and if you balls it up, then you can send it off to the Pros...  :rofl2:

However, you usually find it's an easy job, like in this case. As Hooli said, you were 95% done.

I snapped a stud on my CX500 the other day, shit happens, panic sets in, a cup of tea later and you've found that new ones are still available, all fixed now, and experience levelled up by one point.  :smile2:

D.D.

To Infirmity and Beyond.. :-)

grog

Milts, next time is your go. Very easy, the cleaning grooves etc the hardest bit. IMO mostly dont even need new seals,just clean and refit. I got newies for front i just did but couldnt fault old ones. Maybe wrong thinking, not sure.

Hooli

Aye the majority of my seals are original. I changed them when I got new pistons but ended up swapping back as a lot of the pattern seals jammed more as they weren't quite right.

grog

Hooli, rear caliper next, should be ok to not order seal kit? Im fairly confident.

Chappers

So yesterday after spending hours trying to clean up the fork lowers I gave up and popped them down to a wheel refurb place local to me, best £40 I've spent in a long time, etch primed and filler primed, paint and clear today.

Eric GSX1400K3

Wash and two coats of Caranuba wax on the tank, tail and front fender, then took the youngest daughter out for tea down at the Dawesville Cut.

HD Engine black I put on about 6months ago still comes up a treat, brakes, bearings and calipers all doing their job amicably well.  The bike held her own in traffic and still turns heads, 20yo last December. :smitten:
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Tally

Put the battery on, fired her up ready for work mon morning as my car is having left front suspension replaced due to pothole damage. The garage will fully document damage and work carried out to repair as the local council will be notified as to compensation. Meanwhile if the weather holds I will be riding out for breakfast tomorrow (sun) to cheer myself up. I think the cafe in chipping norton will do then I might poke my nose around clarksons farm as it's literally just up the road. If he's there and I get the chance I'll ask him if he's going to brew some real beer not as my dad would have called girly disco pop (lager) :lol: .

BbigMmac

Finished the rear swingarm rebuild

IMG_3473 (Aangepast).jpeg

IMG_3479 (Aangepast).jpeg 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk