News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

I finished the rear brake on my 14 today, as the pads arrived Thursday. Then because I'd got up late & missed the group meet for a ride I was meant to be going on I had a strange day & washed all three bikes in the garage!

Finally I took my 14 for a 7 mile round trip for a cuppa just to check the brakes worked ok. The fronts were soft when I left but I was confident I'd done them right & by the time I got home they feel almost right. I'm figuring they'll be fine with a bit more use.

MOT on it next week, probably Tuesday as I'm only working Monday & got the rest of the week off. Then I expect I'll find somewhere to go & do the last 1k miles before the next service is due. I'll probably be servicing her next weekend.

Phill P

Little update on my battery problems, got to the bike this morning and the battery was dead again so that's deffo toast. Changed the regulator, once I cracked the nuts I was able to wind it by hand, fitted the new battery and.....Good news, tickover and a slight blip it runs up to 14 volts thankfully. So thanks for the help everyone.
Dropped the oil, Jesus that sump plug felt tight, no swarf on the sump.
Tried to remove the oil filter, nope gonna need a tool for that puppy. :cheers:

Hooli

MOT day for mine today, passed with a clean sheet. So I took her out for 100miles or so in the rain & mist for lunch to enjoy another year of low mileage pampered bike use.

KiwiCol

Took the LED indicators off, rewired the plug back onto the originals & stuck 'em back on.  Couple of reasons I did it, I reckon the OEM indicators are actually easier for others to spot when they're on, I always had a doubt if the cage I'm indicating for had seen them (always had though, but the doubt was there) & I felt like a change - I had the time & the gear needed, so why not.

Especially enjoyed using my new terminal crimpers. :tongue:  I've always had crimpers, but these are several cuts above your std crimpers, they make OEM quality terminal crimps, very nice to use & to see the result you've just made.  :smitten:  :onya:

Pretty sad when ya start to chub up over a crimp though! :happy1:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

There is something satisfying in a good crimp.

I consider putting the OEM indicators back at times, for the same reasons. But I don't like the look of them so never do.

GSXKING

Must be the drugs talking 😜😜😜😜 and I'm talking about BOTH of you  :stir:  :stir:  :stir:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

KiwiCol

Quote from: GSXKING on Saturday, 16 March  2024, 09:24 AMMust be the drugs talking 😜😜😜😜 and I'm talking about BOTH of you  :stir:  :stir:  :stir:

Beer is not a drug,    it's medicinal lubrication & thus required daily.  :cheers:

Phill P

I like the original indicators personally, orange lens is much easier to see in sunlight :grin:

Dwain Dibley

A big job broke out here at Dibley Towers today..... :coffeescreen:

I fitted two bungs in my new rack. The ones it came with were hard brittle plastic, and broke as I fitted them.
The new ones are soft and pliable while still being a nice tight fit.

D.D.

20240316_134813.jpg
To Infirmity and Beyond.. :-)

Hooli

I discovered how to break a HD....

Wash it!

Damn thing wouldn't start this morning, was coughing & farting with lots of greyish smoke. Checked things over, the plugs were wet but didn't smell of fuel. Fiddled about a bit longer & gradually the smoke reduced then it fired up & has been fine since.

Thinking it over while riding around today & the only thing I'd done different is wash it cold & put it away again. So I reckon I got the exposed air filter wet & without engine heat to dry it while parked the water stayed & that's what caused the smoke/wet plugs.

I knew there was a reason I don't wash bikes.

On the bright side I took all four plugs out to check them & found one was massively misgapped. They've never been out before, you'd think the factory would fit properly gapped plugs wouldn't you? Anyway that's made it much better pulling from low revs than it's ever been before so a handy bonus from today.

KiwiCol

4 plugs in a Hardly?  :whatever:  is it a twin spark? :confused1:

Hooli

Quote from: KiwiCol on Sunday, 17 March  2024, 05:24 AM4 plugs in a Hardly?  :whatever:  is it a twin spark? :confused1:

Yup, the pots are so big they need twin plugs to run right without pinking. 872.5cc per pot & it's the smallest version of this motor.

GSXKING

You can thank Mr. Suzuki for the four plug motors. See M109 technology. Suzuki built motor plant for blockheads onwards. They removed the gap between gearbox and motor too. Ever increasing ccs and horsepower plus reliability have been welcomed by HD owners.
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Irish in Oz

Quote from: GSXKING on Sunday, 17 March  2024, 07:01 PMEver increasing ccs and horsepower plus reliability have been welcomed by HD owners.
[/quote
Quote from: GSXKING on Sunday, 17 March  2024, 07:01 PMYou can thank Mr. Suzuki  Ever increasing ccs and horsepower plus reliability have been welcomed by HD owners.

But they never will.

Eric GSX1400K3

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk