News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Donatello's money pit

Started by Donatello, Monday, 10 June 2019, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donatello

So between work and a four month old baby I had to find some time to work on the 1400 since I planned to go to the biker classic races at Spa. Because of this I didn't took many photo's of the work I have done to the bike but here is a small list:

Gear indicator in the RPM dail thanks to Paul (Tommohawk)
New air filter
Oil + oil filter
PAIR block off plates
Braided brake lines
Ignition and alternator cover refurb
Wheels powdercoated black with new Angel GT tires
New wheel bearings
Installed new front fork seals, bushes etc.
Refurb the front fork (silver hammer rite, then a red Scotch Brite pad to give it some texture, then 4 coats of 2k clear varnish, will post close-up pictures soon)
New progressive front springs (Hyperpro)
LED indicators from China
Akrapovic exhaust
New oil cooler from Aaron Radiators (this was a big pain in the *ss since the side guards didn't line up with the holes and the cooler is much thicker so I had to bend the guards a lot which I didn't like and still doesn't look good, I have to go over this in the future)
Repainted several brackets and cleaned a lot of bolts to look almost as good as new

The bushes in the front fork really needed replacement and I'm glad I did this before I went on the trip to Belgium, in the end it wasn't that hard but I made sure I checked everything twice before tightening everything down.
I finished the bike a day before we would ride away and during the testdrive I found out the front wheel lost air very quick. Just before 5pm I took it to a bike shop and he took the tire of the wheel and between the tire and wheel was a piece of cloth, he removed it and after that the problem was solved! I learned a lot during the past few weeks working on the 1400 and I'm glad I didn't cut corners anywhere and took my time to research things I didn't knew or was unsure about.

On the trip the bike drove really comfortable and my only complaint is the seat, the power of the 1400 was more then enough to keep up with the Aprilia Tuono from my friend (who had the bike for years where this trip was the first drive on the 1400 for me!) on the straights but also in the corners. I plan on doing some minor modifications this winter (power commander and changing spark plugs etc) and I hope to keep this bike for the years to come!

I won't bore you guys to much with photo's from Spa but here are a few so you have an impression, it was a real crazy event and I have never seen so many bikes in one place. The best one for me was a perfectly restored Honda CBX1000 that looked better then the day it rolled out of the factory.

Bonus: a perfect restored TL1000S, only complaint I have that the wheels don't have the original color, maybe I can add one to my garage someday.

GSXKING

Those are definitely not Katana frames from Suzuki  :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Donatello

Didn't touched the bike for almost a week since I came back from Spa, she was sitting in the garage so I gave her a clean and switched the front mudguard around (had it mounted backwards just before my trip  :rofl2: )

Close-up of the resprayed front forks

Since it was still dry but cloudy I took her for a small ride, I'm so amazed how smooth the bike is and how effertless the torque is deliver (I think I saw 200km/h in 3th gear on a small back road)

And back in the garage warm and dry

There are a few thinks I have to fix, while idling there is something like a small misfire now and then (really vague pop in the background) and while under heavy acceleration I can hear a small exhaust leak I think, sounds like fluttering but maybe its the valves?
I also want to rebuild the rear shocks (one adjuster is stuck) for my peace of mind, the Ohlins XJR1300 I bought are not as good according to you guys (I should have done more research) but they come in handy for my GSX1100 ET project. Or maybe I save some money and buy Ohlins STX36 shocks later this year. But first I want to buy a PC 3 or 5 and get the bike mapped, it runs great but this is also for the peace of mind for myself. Can the torque/timing restricting in the first two gears also bypassed with a Powercommander or is this only possible with a TRE? I have the Tomohawk gear indicator so I think if I fit a TRE it will delete the gear indicator?

Kanerdog/Matt is making an exhaust bracket for me so I will be deleting the passenger pegs and I want to remove the helmet lock (I hope it's possible with a small touch up on the frame instead of powercoating/painting the whole frame).

Donatello

Didn't had much time to ride since my wife went back to work so I had to take care of our newborn son (I work in the evening and weekend) so I had some time to work out some "bugs". First thing I did was order some new pro-bolts for the front and rear calipers, when I installed the braided brake hoses I cleaned the bolts with a scotch-bright pad but it took the coating of the oem bolts so they rusted after the first time I cleaned the bike. The new pro-bolt bolts are stainless steel and quaility is amazing.

Next week the bike goes to the dyno for a Powercommander 5 and a remap on the rolling road, I'm looking forward to it and I hope to gain a bit more torque and souplesse.

I also needed a new helm and I ran into a "few times" used Shoei GT air for cheap, I normally wear Shark but I must say the Shoei is amazing (but I will never pay 600,- euro's for one)

Andre

Quote from: Donatello on Tuesday, 16 July  2019, 05:47 AM
Can the torque/timing restricting in the first two gears also bypassed with a Powercommander or is this only possible with a TRE? I have the Tomohawk gear indicator so I think if I fit a TRE it will delete the gear indicator?

Not a PC owner but AFAIK there are no ignition modules for the 14 available from Powercommander. So no adjustment for timing restriction with PC. Of course, fueling  in these gears can be adjusted in the restricted gears.

A TRE will kill the functioning of Tomahawk's gear indicator (as well as most gear indicators). It will also affect the  Gear input function of the PCV (allows for map adjustment based on gear and speed - I assume that this PC function is usable on the 14).

Donatello

Quote from: Andre on Tuesday, 30 July  2019, 01:22 AM
Quote from: Donatello on Tuesday, 16 July  2019, 05:47 AM
Can the torque/timing restricting in the first two gears also bypassed with a Powercommander or is this only possible with a TRE? I have the Tomohawk gear indicator so I think if I fit a TRE it will delete the gear indicator?

Not a PC owner but AFAIK there are no ignition modules for the 14 available from Powercommander. So no adjustment for timing restriction with PC. Of course, fueling  in these gears can be adjusted in the restricted gears.

A TRE will kill the functioning of Tomahawk's gear indicator (as well as most gear indicators). It will also affect the  Gear input function of the PCV (allows for map adjustment based on gear and speed - I assume that this PC function is usable on the 14).

Thats what I thought, I talked with my tunes and he said he never saw actual extra performance on the dyno with TRE's. The PCV has a port for quickshifter, maybe something I can ask for my birthday later this year  :rolleyes:

lawrie

That's REALLY nice, parts that are taken close-up usually don't look so good, but yours do, its going to be great when all done. :onya:
I DO have to grow old, I DO NOT have to grow up.

Donatello

Just took out my mail from the mailbox and saw I got a package from the UK! Kanerdog/Matt made an exhaust hanger for me!

Altough it was getting dark outside I couldn't resist to wait untill tomorrow

I need to source some nice bolts to mount it to the frame, the bolts that are now on are temporary so don't mind those. I'll make some better photo's when those are on.

GSXKING

Looks like a very tidy job and fits perfectly  :onya: :onya: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :worshippy:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

kanerdog1X1

Donatello

So starting this year we had the whole covic-19 situation, the bike stood still for months and in april I wanted to take it for a ride around town but the front brakes where seized  :doh: I ordered new seals from Ebay and rebuild them and fitted new Brembo brakepads. My wife bought a 2014 Street Triple R which I took out for a spin whenever I could! Such an easy bike with a real addictive intake sound. I didn't ride the 1400 much but when I did I had a great time and swisting the throttle to feel the torque never gets old. In my mind I already made plans and I stumbled upon Yoshi ST-1 cams, a quick transaction and 24hours later I had them home (don't tell the wife!)

And just as fate would have it, I saw the bike where it all started with for sale... Kanerdog's GSX1400. I looked at the advert and quickly clicked it away, the next few days I had trouble sleeping... After a week I contacted the seller (the guy who bought it from Kanerdog) and he was located in Belgium, a 4 hour drive from where I live. Carefully I tried to convince the wife I had to take a "look" at the Wobbler but you know what they say, never meet your heroes... well after first eye contact I was in love and the deal was done. A few weeks later another trip to Belgium to pickup the bike and now it sits in the garage :) At the moment I'm also in the process of building a new home so for now it sits in a pretty small garage but the garage in the new house will have enough room for two bikelifts, floor heating and a big workbench. Also you guys don't have to guess which 1400 will get the Yoshimura ST-1 cams ;)

The owner in Belgium switched out the standard brakes for Beringer 6 pots and switched the oil-cooler since the big one cooled to much and the bike wouldn't get up to temp. The bike came with all bike-and engine stands ofcourse.

grog

What a purchase Mate. I can remember reading all Kaner posts. Magician. Forgotten lots of it. Please tell me about the two shiny bits on top of tank.

Kiwifruit

That's a nice piece of kit to have in the garage Donatello  :smitten:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

SA14

Quote from: grog on Wednesday, 30 September  2020, 05:42 PM
...Please tell me about the two shiny bits on top of tank.

Check post #51 on page 4 of the amazing and incredible Big Heavy Wobbler thread.

BbigMmac

Beauty, can't wait to see it for real!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk