News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Poor idling

Started by Plodder, Sunday, 04 February 2024, 03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plodder

Hi everyone, the Beast has been shut away since September, pulled her out on Friday for MOT, started up on the button as usual, got on her to ride to garage, rode a treat, but coming up to junctions, lights, or just poodling through traffic all she wanted to do is cut out, unless I kept revs up,banged along the bypass on the way home, sweet as a nut, am I just guessing maybe the injectors may be a gummed up where she been stood, would a fuel injection cleaner in the tank help? Any suggestions, cheers 🤞Richard.

Dwain Dibley

I bang some STP in my tank every fill up.

D.D.
To Infirmity and Beyond.. :-)

gsxbarmy

Sounds like it could well be a fuelling issue, not sure how you've stored her, but there is always a possibility that condensation has resulted in some water in the fuel, or sediment has built up in the tank, or its just plain old fuel - if you left it with E10 fuel in the tank, then the ethanol in that goes off after a few weeks.
For starters I'd drain the tank and once empty, have the fuel pump out and give it and the tea bag a damn good clean. After that, I'd refill using some of the higher octane fuel like BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax or similar and give here a good run rather than using injector cleaner, as the higher octane fuels already contain detergents which will help clean things through.

If things still are not right after that, then its possible your injectors may need cleaning, but start with basics first.

This may help https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=430.0
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

grog

No expert as mine never needs Winter storage but isnt a dose of fuel stabiliser needed for that situation. My garden stuff doesnt get used much in Winter,i use 98 ulp mower etc but always drain after use, not so easy to do on 14.Also read empty tanks go rusty, need filling to top with additive.Best way is move to a warmer climate, no need to Winter store. 😎

Hooli

I'd say split vacuum pipes, they only affect slow running & totally screw the fuelling up.

Mick_J

I've had that and it turned out to be the TPS.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Plodder

Thanks for the advise, will drain tank and clean filters, let you know how it goes, cheers.

Will14

Is the idle speed set correct, if they are a bit on the low side they have a tendency to do what you are describing, I think it should be around 11/12000 RPM when warm

Cheers, Pete 

grog

I agree Will, 1100rpm. If mine gets lower it just snuffs. Has happened twice because for some unknown reason just decided to idle lower. Re adjust and no prob. Never really worried about why it changed, if its not broken, dont fix it.

Big Geordi

I would go for easiest option,tickover then bang in some good fuel and wind the shite out of her  :onya:

Plodder

Hi all, fuel pump out and cleaned, tea bag full of bits, now all good, thanks for the advice , cheers.

grog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk