News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Joseph's bikes and 1400 turbo build

Started by Joseph, Tuesday, 19 September 2023, 07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

I think I recall a 14 chop years ago on the old Org that used carbs. If the thread still existed it'd be useful to you. It was lost years ago though.

Any idea if the advance curve on a Bandit matches a 14? I can't imagine they'd be radically different.

Joseph

That could be worth a look.

I'm guessing, in view of the specs, which are pretty close (slight HP and torque advantage for the 14 obviously) that the curves needed must be close ?

In essence, using the Bandit management equipment should hopefully simply create a maxi big bore Bandit 1200 ? (+245cc  :lol: )

Joseph

The carburetor rack is almost back together, i built it up more or less in order to confirm by how much i needed to extend the choke plate.

Also carb nÂș2 needs an extension for the butterfly control to reach the master carburetor

The Bandit spacing of the outer pairs aren't an exact match to the cylinder ports, so i only spaced out the center pair, but i should be able to get away with it. It would have taken a lot more machined parts (and money) to move the two pairs in by 2mm, didn't seem necessary since the rubber on the spigots will have some play, and would have been quite a hassle

Joseph

An the spigots are also pressed into the base plates, ready to get welded :

Joseph

Also a guideline to how much i can port the intakes, which will improve engine breathing

BanditsHigh

Just can't beat nice machined parts ... superb  :hat:

All the best ... Barry
Still alive ... just!!

Joseph

Indeed, i've found a good guy to make the stuff i can't  :onya:

Here's the full intake tract setup and plenum base, that now all needs to go to another guy who knows how to TIG weld alloy

grog

Just awesome stuff Joseph.  :hat: My only delve into that stuff, years back, fitted side draught Webber to Norton Commando.got rid of awful Amals. Had to cut frame etc but was great result, at least as could be on a Norton.

Joseph

Broadly speaking, the carburetor conversion is done

Mock up installation of plenum base in order to angle the intake pipe so that it clears things like the oil fill cap.

Well pleased, of course it's not fully finished and then the jet settings will no doubt cause some hair loss but a big step has been achieved

Would be a bit of a pain to have to take the plenum off to add some oil  :cheesy:

BanditsHigh

So strange to see carbs on a 14, it looks fantastic ... looking forward to hearing how it all goes  :clapping:

All the best ... Barry
Still alive ... just!!

hard road

grog

Looks really good, suits it i reckon👍

Joseph

A bit of a headache solved.
Obviously running a propshaft straight off the gearbox meant that i no longer had provision for the clutch slave or the speedo sensor.

After sorting out the prototype (tracing out the engine case screw dimensions), i selected a car clutch slave that i hope will work enough, and also set the tab for the speedo

Welded (by me  :whatever: ) and back from the powdercoater today

And on the car, with the flange adapter replacing the sprocket, and the laser cut ring i designed with the sensor points on it

GSXKING

Awesome work mate.
Keep us posted please 🙏
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

grog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk