GSX1400 K3 - Resurrection II - WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES

Started by BanditsHigh, Tuesday, 05 September 2023, 01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hard road

happy days Barry, glad its mobile again  :onya: 
but I still think replacing the oil drain tubes is the way to go, you might get lucky with some good used ones. 

BanditsHigh

Quote from: hard road on Thursday, 21 September  2023, 05:16 AMhappy days Barry, glad its mobile again  :onya: 
but I still think replacing the oil drain tubes is the way to go, you might get lucky with some good used ones. 

Oh I totally agree with you, it's the cost and time/effort to take the engine out, strip top end and rebuild, just to replace two stupid little tubes ... even just the cost of the tubes is ridiculous.

Anyway, that's something to worry about later ... K3 rebuild is the next thing on the agenda  :clapping:

All the best ... Barry

Still alive ... just!!

hard road

Quote from: BanditsHigh on Thursday, 21 September  2023, 05:32 AM
Quote from: hard road on Thursday, 21 September  2023, 05:16 AMhappy days Barry, glad its mobile again  :onya: 

Oh I totally agree with you, it's the cost and time/effort to take the engine out, strip top end and rebuild, just to replace two stupid little tubes ... even just the cost of the tubes is ridiculous.

Anyway, that's something to worry about later ... K3 rebuild is the next thing on the agenda  :clapping:

All the best ... Barry

another option is to get a pair made from stainless, im pretty sure it would be a lot cheaper than OEM ones.

Hooli

Maps....

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TRcNfGeUfReuG_W7VZbpK1eqeuA0PQbU

That should give you access to a folder with the software for a serial PC3 and all the maps that came with it on the CD.

If your PC3 is USB I'm not sure they'll work though. The serial one mapped every 500rpm, the later usb one mapped every 250rpm.

I've got a custom (Grumpy for those that remember him) map on my k2 with Akra and serial pc3. Not sure if it's in that folder or not.

BanditsHigh

Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 21 September  2023, 09:46 AMMaps....

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TRcNfGeUfReuG_W7VZbpK1eqeuA0PQbU

That should give you access to a folder with the software for a serial PC3 and all the maps that came with it on the CD.

If your PC3 is USB I'm not sure they'll work though. The serial one mapped every 500rpm, the later usb one mapped every 250rpm.

I've got a custom (Grumpy for those that remember him) map on my k2 with Akra and serial pc3. Not sure if it's in that folder or not.

Thanks for trying Hooli, unfortunately you were correct and these maps are for the serial version, which I didn't know existed!!

GOOD NEWS ...
I tried searching already but thought I'd try again and this time found exactly what I was looking for ... https://www.dynojet.com/tunes/310-411/

Needless to say I downloaded every single one of'em  :clapping:

MAP    DESCRIPTION    (ALL UPDATED Nov 27, 2019)
310-000    Zero Map
310-501    European Model, Completely Stock Bike
310-502    European Model with Laser full exhaust and stock or K&N air filter
310-503    European Model with Laser full exhaust, "Hot Cam" Silencer with Db killer installed and stock or K&N air filter
310-504    European Model with Carbon Can Co. slip-ons and link pipes and stock or K&N air filter
310-505    European Model with Scorpion slip-ons and link pipes and stock or K&N air filter
310-506    European Model with Akrapovic full exhaust (ABE silencer) and stock or aftermarket air filter
310-507    European Model with Akrapovic full exhaust (Evolution silencer) and stock or aftermarket air filter
310-508    European Model with Akrapovic full race exhaust and stock or aftermarket air filter
310-509    European Model with G Force slip-ons and stock or aftermarket air filter
310-510    European Model with ART slip-ons and stock or aftermarket air filter
310-511    European Model with Zorstec slip-ons and stock or aftermarket air filter
310-512    European Model with Scorpion slip-ons and link pipes, TTS Cams and stock or aftermarket air filter
310-513    European Model with Akrapovic ECE approved 4:1, Yoshimura Stage 1 Cams and stock or aftermarket air filter
310-514    Asia Model with Yamamoto full exhaust and stock or aftermarket air filter
310-515    European Model with Blue Flame Evo slip-ons, Db killers installed and stock or aftermarket air filter
310-516    German model Akrapovic full system with ECE approved silencer (db Killer installed) BMC air filter with 50mm air intake
310-517    German model-BOS ECE approved silencers, K&N air filter with 53 mm air intake
310-518    European model-Yoshimura full system, Stock or aftermarket filter
310-519    Arata full exhaust, Stock or aftermarket air filter
310-520    European model Akrapovic full exhaust Yoshimura camshafts Stock or aftermarket air filter

Is there anyway of putting these on the forum for future use?

All the best ... Barry

P.S. Added a link to the "Dynojet PCIII Maps" thread.

Still alive ... just!!

Hooli

I don't think the serial one was about for long, mine was fitted to my bike in about 2002, long before I got it.

At least you found what you need & got sorted.

Westcraigs

Wow.....didn't take you long to get the K4 on the road Barry, you certainly don't faff around that's for sure.
BTW I see from your location that we're practically neighbours
😎

BanditsHigh

Quote from: Westcraigs on Thursday, 21 September  2023, 09:39 PMWow.....didn't take you long to get the K4 on the road Barry, you certainly don't faff around that's for sure.
BTW I see from your location that we're practically neighbours

That's about two weeks ... over two days just to get two bolts out, but got there in the end ... it's the fact that the engine is as sweet as the day I put it off the road seven years ago which I was especially impressed with.

Hagon Nitro 1" over shocks sent away for rebuild today, it'll be interesting to see how they handle the condition they are in.

Had a day off today, but tomorrow I think I'll see how the wheels clean up, if need be I'll put them in to be blasted/powder coated next week.

Big sister lives in Blantyre, I'll PM you and pop over for a visit if you fancy  :hat:

All the best ... Barry
Still alive ... just!!

Rynglieder

You have my respect for getting it running so quickly.

(No doubt not having a bike to ride focuses the mind).

Enjoy your handiwork and stay safe.

Pete.

BanditsHigh

Quote from: Rynglieder on Friday, 22 September  2023, 12:45 AMYou have my respect for getting it running so quickly.

(No doubt not having a bike to ride focuses the mind).

Enjoy your handiwork and stay safe.

Pete.

That and having to use buses (shudder) ... now onto getting the K3 resurrected and having a look at the K4 engine to figure out how buggered it is.

All the best ... Barry
Still alive ... just!!

BanditsHigh

MEET THE NEIGHBOUR
Quote from: Westcraigs on Thursday, 21 September  2023, 09:39 PMBTW I see from your location that we're practically neighbours

Met up with Rob ... we're just over a mile apart, great to have another 14 owner nearby, although his is very shiny with a lot of nice mods here and there (some done by himself, respect).

BRAKE CALIPER
Also borrowed a bolt off him, to replace the one which had fallen out of the brake caliper on the way to see him!!!!!! I heard clunking from the front end and thought it was the mudguard, but after a few seconds realised it was too loud ... stopped and one bolt gone and the other half way out!!

I've either missed tightening that side when putting the bike back together or they've worked loose ... never had this happen before!!

SHOCKS
Hagon Nitro shocks (1" over) sent away for rebuild on Thursday and it'll be interesting to see what they do with them ... I'll post up before/after pics next week at some point.

GARAGE
Been reorganising garage to give myself more room for doing the K3 up, now even have tubs for the K3 bits so I can keep track of them ... will get that finished off today, then probably strip the rest of the bits off the K3.

All the best ... Barry
Still alive ... just!!

GSXKING

Geez Barry you're making me feel almost inadequate for not doing anything to my bike.
Your documenting of this endeavour is amazing. I'm really impressed considering your health conditions.
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

BanditsHigh

Quote from: GSXKING on Saturday, 23 September  2023, 09:57 PMGeez Barry you're making me feel almost inadequate for not doing anything to my bike.
Your documenting of this endeavour is amazing. I'm really impressed considering your health conditions.

Just one of those things, I get knackered very quickly energy wise, sometimes in as little as ten seconds, but I'm alive and I just take my time, with lots of cuppas and sitting  :clapping:

GARAGE AGAIN
Another day spent moving stuff around, but well worth it, I can actually get to the back left hand side of the garage again and lots more space

K4 ENGINE
Well it's official, at least one of the big end bearings has gone. I took the sump off and was able to get a couple of fingers on #3 big end (oooer) ... there's about 2mm of movement!

MY FAULT?
This engine has been a strange one, in all the years I've had the bike the oil pressure light was always going on and off while riding, which made me panic the first few times.

I checked oil level on a regular basis and topped up when necessary, the engine kept running and I put it down to a dodgy oil pressure switch ... might not have been as dodgy as I thought.

WHAT TO DO?
Obviously oil starvation has occurred at some point, so big ends could be gone on most of the conrods or it might just be #3 ... there is also the possibility that the main crank bearings are gone as well.

So repairs could run to crank regrind/straightening, conrods bored, new bearings all over and a very very careful check of the oil pump to see if it's a bit dodgy ... all in all that could prove to be a very expensive repair.

Another engine is the simplest and easiest route, with engines on FleaBay in the £800 to £1000 range, which is a lot of money, but the cost of repairs could easily be up in that range.

HAPPY
Ah well, at least I know what's wrong now ... will read up on stripping bottom end as I've forgotten most of it (last time was about 14 years ago), but I think it's pretty simple ... clutch is already out so that's one less thing to do.

All the best ... Barry
Still alive ... just!!

BanditsHigh

Hmmm, second hand crank with conrods and all bearings for £150 on FleaBay, very tempting.

A full set of crank bearings is around £150, conrod bearings around £125, so £275 straight away ... never mind the cost of possibly repairing the crank/conrods.

Might be worth the money to give it a try, but I'm not sure if I trust this engine anymore, even though it might have been my fault!

At least that's another option.

All the best ... Barry
Still alive ... just!!

grog

Bandits, my thoughts only, if you doubt that motor, toss it and get another.Might save you some pain.BTW, your work is amazing, so quick, hard to believe what youve done in no time.  :hat:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk