News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve porter

Checked the mileage to note for the new Tyres and realized that it was just shy of 5k since the last oil change in July so while it was up on the hoist I did an oil change and brake and clutch bleed, click and collected a couple of bottles of @grog 's gulf western, hope your getting a cut mate, also forgot to mention I fitted A black alloy right angled Tyre valve to the front yesterday, already had a matching one on the back, makes life a lot easier

Eric GSX1400K3

Fitted my quantum fuel systems hpfp. Easy rebuild. Flushed the hp filter, not too bad, no black gunk. Rebuilt and back in. Started first go, will go for a ride today after cleaning the chain and sprockets.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

I refitted a loose plug cap yesterday, hopefully that'll fix the misfire.

They seem to keep coming loose recently. I'm debating gluing them in around the outside as triming the leads and ensuring they are tight isn't solving it.

grog

Steve , no cuts for me, i do buy it cheap but. Just reckon its good. My boss and wife did get a free 2 week all expenses to Las Vegas from them couple of years back. From research i think Repco oil is same. Supercheap is Penrite. What ever works. I did an oil comparison on Old Org, tried many as experiment, Gulf had best gear change, Motul was worst.

steve porter

Quote from: grog on Sunday, 11 October  2020, 06:35 PM
Steve , no cuts for me, i do buy it cheap but. Just reckon its good. My boss and wife did get a free 2 week all expenses to Las Vegas from them couple of years back. From research i think Repco oil is same. Supercheap is Penrite. What ever works. I did an oil comparison on Old Org, tried many as experiment, Gulf had best gear change, Motul was worst.
Thanks mate, Happy to benefit from others research

steve porter

Quote from: grog on Sunday, 11 October  2020, 06:35 PM
Yep, Definitely slicker  gear changing and I reckon about 30% reduction in CLUNK into first  compared to the Penrite MC 4 whatever

Hooli

I took the cam cover off to fix a leak on the RH front corner.

It was rude not to check the valve clearances while in there, still within spec & only 250miles off 160k having never been touched. Then one of the threads stripped on the RH back corner as I was putting the cover back on, as I didn't want to take it all off again having just sealed it with Threebond 1215 I helicoiled it through the hole in the cam cover. This was done very slowly with lots of grease on the drill & tap to catch the swarf, I also fished out any other bits I could see with a grease coated screwdriver. I'm pretty sure everything has come out, if not it's such crap soft metal I can't see it doing any damage on it's way to the sump. We'll see.

Test ride to a bike night later to confirm the oil leak has gone.

SA14

Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 16 October  2020, 11:32 PM
I took the cam cover off to fix a leak on the RH front corner.

It was rude not to check the valve clearances while in there, still within spec & only 250miles off 160k having never been touched. Then one of the threads stripped on the RH back corner as I was putting the cover back on, as I didn't want to take it all off again having just sealed it with Threebond 1215 I helicoiled it through the hole in the cam cover. This was done very slowly with lots of grease on the drill & tap to catch the swarf, I also fished out any other bits I could see with a grease coated screwdriver. I'm pretty sure everything has come out, if not it's such crap soft metal I can't see it doing any damage on it's way to the sump. We'll see.

Test ride to a bike night later to confirm the oil leak has gone.

Farque, that was close!

Hooli

Nowt major I was riding around with three of them stripped for ages until I got a M7 helicoil kit.

The leak is fixed  :clapping: and it's behaving fine so obviously no swarf went anywhere important. I need to open the manual properly & check how to check for cam chain wear as since putting it all back together I've decided I think I could lift a link off a cam sprocket slightly more than previously. It didn't seem bad as only one link moves, but it'd be nice to confirm it's ok.

Tomorrow I go out & do about 200miles in the sun to enjoy it & then it'll be at 160k miles & need servicing, again. Which is why I sorted the leak, seems such a waste to pour new oil in & watch it seep out again.

Hooli

160k service done, washed, polished and acf50'd. Reasonably productive afternoon over all.

SA14

Polished and installed new side covers. Bought and applied Harley engine brightener which works really well! Highly recommended. Was getting ready to paint but a quick spray and wipe of this "brightener" brought the black back. I was shocked.

Big Phil

Added wheel decals. Not quite sure about keeping them yet. The wheels are immaculate so not covering any blemishes. I just saw a picture of them and thought they looked cool but now🧐

Daytona

Finally got my 14 back (almost complete now,)just a few more stickers and a new themed tank pad and we are ready for next year (if Covid clears off)

seth

only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Daytona

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk