News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweaty

Sorry to read this shitty news MRG but good to hear you are still in one piece and ok.

T 24

gsxbarmy

Sad news MRG but as others have said bikes can be replaced. The good news is that you are ok mate.

Only you can decide if it's worth buying back for parts or to rebuild, to me it would depend if the frame had gone or not, if it had, then myself I'd pass as parts like that these days are hard to come by, instead i'd get the best price I could then go and buy another one. With winter just around the corner, you have time on your side to find a nice model in readiness for next summer.

Only you can decide buddy.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Andre

Sorry for your loss and trauma.

"didn't see you" :furious: Most common wanker excuse.

Mick_J

That's a real pisser Mrg, these tossers in cars should learn to drive properly before being allowed out on the public roads.  Same thing happened to me 6 years ago "oh sorry , I didn't see you, I'm not from round here" try fucking looking :furious:.  Glad you are okay and hope the insurance look after you properly.  Good luck mate.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Tuesday, 11 September  2018, 02:35 PM
Only you can decide if it's worth buying back for parts or to rebuild

I don't think I've seen a crashed GSX14 (or Busa, B-King, Bandit, GSXR11, GSX11) that I wouldn't buy. Only question for me is the price. 99% of wrecks have something useful if the price is right.

Mister Fishfinger

It's a bit early to be talking about this perhaps, but if it turns out that the frame is damaged then these guys are absolutely the business for frame repairs:

http://www.motoliner.com/motorcycle-frame-straightening/

Hooli

From experience the footpeg brackets always bend when a 14 slides down the road. I straightened mine by gripping them in molegrips & pulling.

gsxbarmy

"...tossers in cars....." and other such comments - errrr don't the majority of us also drive cars? Does that make us all tossers as well then?

Just because we drive bikes as well doesn't mean we are the be all and end all and that what we do is right and car drivers are also wrong - I've seen enough tossers driving bikes (even when I've been out on mine) who think they "own" the road and "that they are always in the right". And they are not.

As for "try looking" - not all bikes can be seen, as I found out when I did a Biker Down course, even sometimes when you wear hi-hiz - depending on what you are wearing and how it blends in with the environment you are in makes a lot of difference to being seen or not. And as for "loud pipes save lives" - what a load of bullshit that is.

I don't know the circumstances of this accident and whether the guy should have seen MRG's 14, but labelling all car drivers "tossers" and "they should have looked" - sorry but I can't support those comments, bikers in the majority of cases are as bad as car drivers - does that make them "tossers" as well?

Hooli

I agree with almost all of that.

I know a lot of bike owners I won't ride with as they are a sodding liability & embarrassing to be seen riding with, same as most car drivers can't manage to drive really. It's almost like they are all just humans.

As for loud pipes, I think a bit of noise helps. Just look at the studies that say leccy cars need fake engine noise to stop people walking in front of them to see how much we use sound to form a 3D picture of our surroundings (which as an aside is one of the reasons I ride in an open face lid).

Speedy1959

I must admit I "modified my standard silencers because they were too quiet.
Im not a fan of rediculously loud exhaust but sing I modified mine therechave been 3 or 4 occasions when a driver literally looked twice cos he realized I was there.
Sometimes I give a quick blip of the throttle if im not sure of their intentions and this works well.

I'm pretty pleased with my exhaust..
loud enough without being silly.

gsxbarmy

Just to be clear what I meant when I said "loud pipes save lives - what bullshit that is". Whilst I don't deny that a loud pipe in slow moving traffic is very useful, at speed the sound is all behind you, so loud pipes (IMO) have limited value - but still worthwhile. I don't think they are lifesavers is what I (poorly) tried to say. In any case, I think they are more for the benefit of the rider who likes a nice burble from the engine

Notty

Quote from: Notty on Monday, 10 September  2018, 08:53 PM
Mot tonight at midnight !! its a 24 hour garage and the only guy that does bikes is on nights ! so thought just check the bleeding obvious before i go - rear indicators not working FFS - all wires pulled off under the seat at the very rear where I store my emergency mobile/cash etc phew !!  :bugga:
Passed with no advisories !! and a huge 700 miles since last MOT  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Mister Fishfinger

I'm all about peace, love and understanding (which is not always a popular view) and I don't particularly like loud pipes either but I stand by what I said. If you can't see what's ahead, don't pull out. There's a bike trainer I watch on YouTube who says "I never put my wheels where my eyes haven't been". That's a good mantra that all road users should adopt.

I don't believe all car drivers are idiots / tossers / whatever - but when you are on your arse with a wrecked bike, a few choice words are understandable.

ARH

It's a human trait to let emotion rule over common sense when in stressful situations.  I think most of us have been on the receiving end... and also dished it out when 'justified'.  At least the guy apologised... maybe with a piss poor excuse, but he accepted he was in the wrong.
I also see my fair share of loonies on bikes, cars, vans, trucks etc etc... fairly pisses me off, but with some self reflection I cannot in all honesty say I never 'erred' whilst driving.   Those that do ... either have never driven or are delusional.   Just my opinion  :onya:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk