News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Head bearings

Started by SteveD, Saturday, 14 September 2019, 07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveD

Hi folks,
I intend to replace the head bearings at some point soon, can any of the UK members recommend a supplier?

Cheers

Irish in Oz

I have used Pyramid Parts both in UK and Australia, bearing, seals and bushes on various machines with no issues. Have found they are fast on delivery ordered my bushes for Bandit in afternoon arrived next morning from England to N.I. Easily ordered from Ebay I use Paypal.

Hooli

I can't remember the make but I got my taper roller upgrade from Wemoto about 40k miles ago & they are still fine.

seth

I've used pyramid parts head bearings on the new yokes on the special build bike .

The main problem is Suzuki seamed to have lost the grease tub when building the modern bikes so worth checking and regreasing at when you get a chance.

I also think that later taper-bearings also fit and upgrade the earlier roller-bearing set up.

I did have to modify a set of standard fork  bushes from pyramid parts as they were slightly to big but only a little bit of fetling to get to fit.
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Hooli

I think I recall (I might well be wrong) that the taper rollers from K3s onwards are slightly too tall for K2 frames. They fit but the dust/water seal doesn't work properly. Hence I went for aftermarket ones sold just for the K2 as seal properly.

Irish in Oz

Quote from: seth on Saturday, 14 September  2019, 08:08 PM
I've used pyramid parts head bearings on the new yokes on the special build bike .

The main problem is Suzuki seamed to have lost the grease tub when building the modern bikes so worth checking and regreasing at when you get a chance.

I also think that later taper-bearings also fit and upgrade the earlier roller-bearing set up.

I did have to modify a set of standard fork  bushes from pyramid parts as they were slightly to big but only a little bit of fetling to get to fit.

Seth
Did you file the ring gap? I was checking clearances on my ones yesterday and was thinking of doing it, that may have been the problem the guy that did the last set had. But I can't identify the manufacturer, DD5SS stamped on them.
Even the late seventies GS's had very little grease in them.

seth

@Irish in Oz
The ones I fitted to Emma's bike Were slightly to long so I had to enlarge the slot and tighten the diameter a bit other than that they went in fine .
It was a bit of a rush as I only had 4 days to turn the bike around and get it back on the road .
Suzuki bushes were going to take over a week .
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Bob

I've just bought a set from Wemoto, All Balls 22-1004, hope the fit

T 24

Quote from: Bob on Saturday, 14 September  2019, 09:09 PM
I've just bought a set from Wemoto, All Balls 22-1004, hope the fit
It will fit. Fitted to my K2.

SteveD

Thanks folks, I've just ordered a set of All Balls tapered rollers from Wemoto, let the battle commence! 

grog

Steve, youll be right mate. Bottom race is the tough bit. Angle grinder/ Dremmel your friend. IMO.

Hooli

A bent metal stick means you can drive it out easy enough from above.

If you cut a slot  in the old outside race once removed they are ideal for driving the new ones in. The slot means they don't get stuck in too.

grog

Hooli, any pics of a bent metal stick?

Simonic

I took the old ones out with an die grinder as Grog said and put the new ones in with a cut old outer race as Hooli said.
I took my advice from on here :cheers:
'04 GSX14,'81 Z1000ST,'71 Dodge Charger Superbee

Hooli

Quote from: grog on Sunday, 15 September  2019, 08:39 PM
Hooli, any pics of a bent metal stick?

Not to hand mate, it's been so long since I did mine I might have lost the stick. It was a few inches taller than the headstock & had about 20degree bend in it, so it got to the top of the lower race where the headstock widens.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk