Dials Replacement

Started by miguel quintas, Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miguel quintas

Hi
need some help to replace the dials..just got them from lockwood..have no idea how to disassemble it..some help please?before i start breaking parts!!!
Keep it simple..enjoy the torque

gsxbarmy

Here you go miguel  :onya:

First remove head light from housing Two screws either side inside housing
Un-plug side light and remove head light bulb connector (put lens some where safe coz they cost a fair bit if you break the glass)
Undo and remove the two bolts that hold the headlight housing. They have cable clamps under the nuts so remove them as well
Looking under the ends of the chrome dial covers you should see a Phillips screw at the end of a recessed hole.
Depending on the length of your available Phillips screwdriver you may have to move the headlight housing around.
Undo the screws BE CAREFUL as you with draw the screwdriver not to drop the screws.
Now remove the chrome dial surround, you will have to "jiggle" it about a bit as it is a tight fit between the headlight and handle bars
Next the dial housing is held onto the frame by two 8mm nuts and a 7mm screw
remove these and the whole housing should now be free from the frame
You now have a choice - either unplug the wires going to the dials, (plugs are inside the headlight housing) and take the dial housing with the dials away from the bike or balance the housing on the bike.

Around the edge of the black plastic backing are a set of Phillips screws remove DONT remove the ones right in the middle as these hold the clocks in place.

Remove the front dial covers plastic round piece that has the speedo and tacho windows in it.

Taking two teaspoons in each hand (as if you were going to eat with them) place the edges under the centre of the needles and by pushing down on the handles the front edge should push up on the needle and the needle should pop out. DO ONE AT A TIME

Two Phillips screws hold the dial in place remove these DONT DROP THESE INTO THE DIALS AS they are a git to find. Tease the old dial face out.

On both the new dials and the old ones at about 3 and 9 o'clock are a little > shape

These locate in the housing to give you the correct position for the dials.

You may have to gently run your finger round the edge of the new dial just to get it to sit snugly.

Now refit the two centre screws don't over tighten or they will cause the surface of the new dial to damage.

The other dial is the same method

The needles just push back and it's a bit of trial and error to get them in the right position. Best way once fitted is to connect up the electrics and let them do a sweep – if they return to the rest position they are in the right place.

Now refit (in reverse) the clocks and surrounds

Remember that the screws for the clock backing surround screw into plastic so start them off in the holes by fingers and don't over tighten or it will strip the plastic.
The above were the instructions I got for my K2 – the needles on the K6/K7 are 2 piece, if one piece comes away and the other does not, don't panic, remove the second piece and then superglue them back together whilst off the dial/bike.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

froudy

Nice one Barmy...I knew it was on here somewhere..Did a search earlier and couldn't find it :rolleyes:
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

gsxbarmy

It wasn't - I realised when Miguel asked that it was one I missed when I was adding all the write-up's up Steve  :facepalm:

Kiwifruit

Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

miguel quintas

Thanks so much!
i tought it would be simple than that!
I'll do it tomorrow!
thank you
cheers

miguel quintas

Hi barmy
need some help to replace the dials
can't take the needles..i've taken all the screws from the back..except 4 of them in the midle..don't want to push it too hard and brake it..can't figure it out..any ideias?

gsxbarmy

Do you mean the needles will not come off? Unfortunately they are push on Miguel, the only way to pop them off is with the spoons as indicated. It can take a bit of force to do this and also a bit of courage. Sometimes "pulsing" the spoons up and down gently will help break the seal to get them moving - but do apply equal pressure to lift them.

I have also seen the needle come out on one ocassion complete with the pin still attached - but it does just push back in ok

Hope that helps, if not then please shout!!!!

miguel quintas

Thanks barmy
a bit more courage maybe!!lol..they pop out with the needles in any position or pointing down?or in zero position?
cheers

gsxbarmy

In any position Miguel (typically when they are in the "rest" position same as when they are on your 14).

miguel quintas

Hi barmy
job done..didn't loose anything..didn't brake anything!lol..
the white dials are in place!just one of the needles came out with a litle pin but no problem..back in!
thanks again!

gsxbarmy

Hey Miguel - well done   :clapping: glad it all came good in the end  :onya:

Athelstanexxx

Does anyone know the Lockwood part number for GSX1400 white clocks background?

Let me attach here the picture of the RPM and Km/h speedometer I need

Thank you all

Proud owner of a K3 GSX1400 now K6++ as look

Athelstanexxx

Hi just found that and bought from Lockwood
Details here for anyone interested
Product code - SDS010 Suzuki GSX1400 Dials
Product price - 30 GBP
Contact at Lockwood - Garry ( info@lockwoodinternational.co.uk )

Once installed I'll forward you some pics

Cheers from Athel

Athelstanexxx

Lockwood dials installed
Quite easy task and it can be done without removing front light and just removing the 2 screws of the dials, leaving harness connected
It's a screws off, screws on, with some caution in removing 'arrows'.
The two indicators have to be put aligned to zero, of course. A good idea is to switch on and back off so dials do their 0-full and back to 0 ensuring the 0 is the position you want.
Only issue is black dials perform better in darkness, they get better light. White ones seem 'trasparent' to light.
It is not a very bad issue: looks is fantastic.
Cheers
Athel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk