The endless search for seat comfort.

Started by Nic, Monday, 13 December 2021, 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopz

Bump up this old thread.

I had a K6 1400 10 years ago, now last month I bought a clean K2. Had its first decent ride today, about 200k. I was getting a bit sore towards the end.

The seat design, the only comfy way I can ride it is to sit partially on the fuel tank. If I sit back the seats forward angle pushes my pants forward crushing my tackle. My old K6 had sone mod done by the original owner but I cannot remember what it was.

My dad who is 72 had a ride and said the same thing 'lovely bike, shit seat design'.

Are there any hacks to raise the front seat 1 or 2 cm?

My other bike is an ugly Yamaha Tdm 900 and although the seat is more narrow and firmer I can ride it all day without a issue..

grog

Yeah Mate, stock is terrible. Had mine redone, ride all day.

KiwiCol

Here's a pic (not very good admittedly) of mine. I had it re-sculptured flatter with a Gel insert for extra padding.  Later added a mesh cover as well.

and another one . . .

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

GSXKING

Coopz where are you based ?
I use John Moorhouse in Brisbane he's a seat fixing legend around these parts 👍👍
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

VladTepes

My bike has a John Moorhouse seat on it which is pretty damn good.  I haven't ridden a genuine seat one but have heard they are not great.

I anyone wants to experience possibly the WORST factory seat Suzuki has to offer - get your bum on a standard DR650.  Fark...

It's been heavily criticised since the bike was first released and here we are what 20 years later and they haven't changed it.

There's a really good aftermarket scene for DR650 seats unsurprisingly.

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Coopz

A mate worked in a dealership for many years, he always said Japanese bike manufacturers made seats that were designed to be comfortable for 30 minutes as that was the maximum test ride 90% of buyers would usually go on.

VladTepes

Ah well they missed the mark on the DR650 seat by a good 27 minutes then.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Tally

My seats  an original and you're right it is uncomfortable after a while , my problem is that I slide forward and my boxers turn into tighty whities and pressed up against the tank becomes painful. My solution is that I have an inflatable seat pad I can use which helps me stay in one place and secondly it raises the seat height a couple of inches helping my knees out. One day I will get round to having the seat raised so it's level across front and rear.

Hooli

You must all be strange, I find the standard seat fine. Ok I've recovered it when it split, in a different material but it's the normal shape. Biggest difference is the new material is a touch more grippy so I slide about less.

Can't remember what it is, I got it off ebay about 6 years ago.

KiwiCol

Hooli, your arse has spent so much time on that seat it's conformed to the shape of it. :onya:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Roo

I tend to sit a couple of inches back a bit ,sort of on the start of the hump. It eases the knees a bit too.
I'm long in the arms and pretty normaL at 6'  lol.  :hat:

Hooli

Quote from: KiwiCol on Tuesday, 07 November  2023, 03:47 AMHooli, your arse has spent so much time on that seat it's conformed to the shape of it. :onya:

I can't remember if it's the 2nd or 3rd one on my bike tbh. 2nd I think, as the first split & I left it too long so the foam got water damaged. Hence I recovered this one as soon as the cover failed.

Nic

Well seeing as this thread has been reignited, I eventually bought the padded cycle shorts, complete joke, I wasn't surprised but was desperate so thought I'd try it.
So I didn't end up giving it all up, the higher bars have been the best thing for me, I can ride 200Ks with no probs, as long as I don't try n ride long hauls I just have to be happy with 200K rides.
For that distance I don't think of my arse at all now.
I still marvel at how much I love the 14, what a good bike. :cheers:

Rynglieder

Like Hooil, I've never had a problem with my bog-standard seat either.

It may well be down to the build of the rider - height, weight etc. (no, I'm not being rude about anyone) as to how much load is shard by the hip bones and the good ol' gluteus maximus.

If comfort cannot be found in a seat unit it may be worth tinkering with the height of the bars as an experiment?

BbigMmac

Had mine custom made buy Niklas Langen in Solingen Germany. Did it 10 years ago and still looks and sits like new.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk