The endless search for seat comfort.

Started by Nic, Monday, 13 December 2021, 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nic

Thanks mate, turns out I have an as new Kwaka Z1 handlebar here, I like the style of it too, I've already welded in the 5mm nuts for the bar ends, just need to order hoses, I have pulled the tank and found the clutch hose to be around 1.4metre, I think 100mil extra on both hose n it should be the charm. I never liked the look of the stock bars so good idea to put in the kwaka ones I reckon.

grog

Nic, ive had 30 mm risers on without any hose changes.

Nic

Too late, just ordered my hoses, the bars while only having maybe 2" extra rise have a pull back of another 2" and are probably another 2" wider.
Sorry for all the imperial numbers, old habit.
Thanks for the info though mate, it wasn't easy getting hoses from Aust that didn't require you to donate a kidney. Hopefully they arrive before the silly season.
I don't think 30mil riser with the same bars would straighten me up that much and the new bars will look killer too. I'll def post a pic when they are on. :onya:

Nic

Arse saver bars, na, no such thing, however, the higher wider bars are fitted.
I went on a 50k ride out in the bugs, wind and potholes, plenty of sticks on the Araluen mountain because of the huge windy day yesterday, nothing like a skip to the left every now n then.
There are many positives to come out of the new bars though, wind noise is a little better due to the more upright position, the mirrors have improved no end due to the extra width, the bike steers quite a bit easier, in fact I found myself accelerating mid corner to straighten the bike up, I'll get used to it.
The more upright position is very nice and you do get a "little" less dramas re the arse end, I like how the rise in the pillion seat now is a nice backstop when throttling hard, I never had that before.
I found myself throttling hard more than usual, honeymoon period no doubt.
The bars don't look anything fantastic due to all the clutter with the master cylinders, hand guards, Oxford controller, gear indicator and the Mickey mouse ear mirrors, which I don't mind really, prefer them to the stock ones.
It's quite a bit more comfortable to ride now although I know after approx 200Ks my arse will still be crying, I put it down to old age, old prick should know better.
Here's a pic, cheers.

KiwiCol

They look good Nic, I'd love to have a try with that setup.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Nic

Thanks Col, well the bars are for a Kwaka Z1 from the 70s, not the modern caper, I've only recently sold my 76 Z900 and while I was cruising along this morning I thought the bike now feels pretty much like a Z1 but of course with the way more powerful engine, er, handling is probably better as well, the ride is certainly softer/smoother on the 1400, well alright, it's nothing like the old Z1 is it but the point is the bike is much nicer on the hiway, I'm sure around town will be an improvement as well, I always thought this bike was a bit heavy/hesitant going into slow corners around town at 20kph n such so the extra bar length has improved that.
I've wanted to change out the stock bars since I got the bike 2 years ago but never did. As it turned out the stock clutch hose was long enough, I gave it a good reef and to my surprise I got another 3 inches or so, no drama as the longer clutch hose I ordered only cost $20, the brake hose I got for it is from the Z1 parts seller in Tasmania, cost around $60 with express postage. It's just a stock rubber hose measuring 570mil, the original one being around 400mil, there is a little bit extra hose but it tucks nicely behind the headlight. The throttle cables were just long enough if you rotate them to come in under the bars instead of over as stock. Swapping out the brake cable was the worst part of it, I really hate brake fluid, it's my least favorite liquid, Bourbon being my most favorite followed closely by Coke, bleeding was a drama too until I removed the calipers and with a screw driver opened up the pads, I had instant lever after that but still had the bleed both sides 3 or 4 more times to be sure.
The guy at Z1 spares has the exact bars if you're interested, https://www.z1spares.com.au/online-store/handle-bars-Kawasaki-Z1-Z-KZ-900-Standard-Handlebars-p54927145
The front brake hose here https://www.z1spares.com.au/online-store/Honda-kawasaki-brake-Hose-570mm-p54764064
You'll need 5 x 10mil copper crush washers, I also drilled the holes for the switch locating tabs, just measured from the stock bars, much better than grinding off the tabs IMO.
If you have the stock bars and you would like to go a bit higher, this is the go I reckon. The only other thing is if you want to keep your bar ends you need to weld a 5mm nut onto a washer X 2, then grind the washer down to fit tight in the end of the bars then tack weld them in x 4, pretty easy if you have a welder. I have one of those cheap gasless mig welders just for small jobs like this.
The easiest thing to do is get your arse over here n you can have a ride  :cheers:

GSXKING

@Nic I'd call them mini ape hangers from your pic.  :stir: :stir: If it helps you to ride longer distance with changed seating position  :onya: :onya: :onya:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Nic

Quote from: GSXKING on Monday, 20 December  2021, 04:50 PM
@Nic I'd call them mini ape hangers from your pic.  :stir: :stir: If it helps you to ride longer distance with changed seating position  :onya: :onya: :onya:
I don't know if it will give me more mileage but it's a far better ride for me, like getting a new bike, much better ride. Yeah they look pretty high in the pic but you sit on the bike, they don't feel as high as they look.
Anyway, I searched for threads about higher bars but could only find people putting lower Renthal Schmenthals on so no surprise I get comments like that  :P

grog

Nic, did endless miles on old Z1 back in the day. Only owned one but borrowed many, sidecar version also. Never realised bars were so high. Just what i forget. Best bars ive come across, mid 80s 250/400 Yams. Nice rise put pull back at ends. Perfect. Ive tried to buy a set for 14,never had luck. Had them on Darmah for over ten yrs, shouldve kept them. Might even have another look tonight.

DP1400

grog - agreed re. the Z1/RD bars being comfortable, though my old (standard) Z1`s bars we`re only good for a relatively short distance at high speed due to the `wind buffeting` factor.
I wonder whether fitting `retro` bars to an entirely different bike would work though, because surely the bars fitted have to match the overall geometry of the bike and the riders stature? What works on one wouldn`t neccessarily work on another.
To be honest, I don`t recall having any comfort issues with the older bikes so what`s gone wrong with seat manufacture over recent years goodness knows.......or is it simply a case that our arses are much older? :bugga:

Milts

Hi @Nic

I fancied the idea of fitting Z1 style bars to mine sometime ago, nice to see you took the plunge looks good to me  :onya:

https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=4980.0 

DP1400

In case anyone is interested, `Z-Power` are one of the best sources of classic Kawa parts in the UK. :whistling:

Nic

I just got back from a 180k round trip, it was a little windy, I didn't once think the wind was worse with the higher bars, in fact the more upright position is quieter as far as my rotten old ear tell me. I have no intension of removing the Z bars, I like em  :mwink:
@Milts, well mate, I think I've answered all the questions from your previous thread, cheers.

j_rider

Hi,

Newbie to the forum. Considering uograding to a 1400 and seat comfort is always a priority, so have read through the thread and picked up a few good ideas, thanks.

One option I didn't see mentioned - have heard of some riders wearing padding bicycling shorts under their normal riding pants as another layer of potential comfort. One downside, as all cyclists know, is that the extra padding in the shorts takes some getting used to when walking around off the bike. As I heard one friend once comment on first trying them, 'it feels like I've crapped my pants!' :)

Nic

Quote from: j_rider on Tuesday, 21 December  2021, 05:05 PM
Hi,

Newbie to the forum. Considering upgrading to a 1400 and seat comfort is always a priority, so have read through the thread and picked up a few good ideas, thanks.

One option I didn't see mentioned - have heard of some riders wearing padding bicycling shorts under their normal riding pants as another layer of potential comfort. One downside, as all cyclists know, is that the extra padding in the shorts takes some getting used to when walking around off the bike. As I heard one friend once comment on first trying them, 'it feels like I've crapped my pants!' :)
Welcome to the Forum J, see post #20.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk