News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Renthal Handlebars - Comparison

Started by gsxbarmy, Monday, 06 February 2017, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxbarmy

Many 1400 owners have fitted Renthal handlebars to their 14 to suit their riding position, one of the more favourite sets being the 758 Ultra Lows. The diagram below gives a comparison of the more popular Renthal bars chosen by discerning 1400 riders such that you can compare for what set may suit you

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

VladTepes

It's a very individual thing, that's for sure.  I found I was getting wrist pain from having my wrists twisted with the standard bars - got a set of renthals that are straighter - wrist pain gone.  $ well spent !  Looks good too....
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Del

Ive got a set of renthal fat bars on ly 14 - a lot better riding position a wee bitty lower with out the wrist or back pain
All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

Mrg

yes i have being thinking about  this to get a set ,, as i think the normal bars do give you hand wrist ache   
look check and look again  then you see the fool

kja

I'm running the 758's, and have done since I rebuilt my 1400, used them on a couple of other bikes I've built too, with no issues. I'm currently running DL1000 V-Strom handguards too, which I like, they do keep the cool breeze off your hands if you're out early, although I had to make some one off parts so they'd fit the Renthals.

northern

for now, I have tried 3 different aftermarket handlebars on my 14

• Renthal 758 or ultra low - best bend in my opinion, but using with OEM risers was to far away for me. Changing risers to OBERON angled made riding position perfect to me
  • Renthal 605 fatbar or CR HIGH - in my opinion, to wide and to straight. Riding position was not comfortable to me, cause I had to bend forward to much. At the same time, I have to admit, steering feeling was most confident, because of it's straight, hand position was closest to steering axis (hope it's understandable).
  • LSL X01 fatbar - very similar bend to Renthal 758, but fatbar option. Little bit higher and wider then 758. Will keep it for a while :)

pictures:
758 and LSL
605 and 758
605 and LSL

SA14

I book marked a post in the Australian GSX1400 about this...

QuoteThanks to guys on here i ditched the standard bars.. chose a set of pro taper dirt bike bars and 60mm risers. Best thing ever.. so much easier to ride.. more comfortable.. straighter and feel more in control. Threw the windscreen out and now i thing she looks heaps better. If anyone is considering a bar mod... get onto it straight away. Wish i did when i brought the bike....

...It took me two weeks to decide. 4 bike shops... listening to 10 flogs that didn't now what they were on about then 2 hrs on ebay and bar websites. Hard work is done mate.. pro taper windham bend with 60mm riser straight onto the clamp. Use the modified rubber washers and cut off the lugs on the controls.. some new bar ends and had to use my standard rise bolts as the new ones were to big in diameter.. problem fixed.....$195 all up

One reply asked...

QuoteHi Cameron. Did you have any problems with the brake, clutch, throttle and wire length? I've taken my bars off a few times and theses are very exact in length. Thanks. They look good.

He replied...

QuoteThat was my biggest concern of the project. I thought i might of had some length issues as i wanted to go the full 800mm width of the new bars without cutting them. No one could answer my questions as all the bars are different bends and lengths. The pro taper windhams are a long bar but that suited my riding position. I had no issues at all with cable and hose lengths.

Everything fitted perfect. Only issue was you have to tap off the little plastic lugs on both the starting block and the indicator block as the original bars have holes drilled in them. I wasn't drilling the new bars as i had no idea what bar position i was going to be happy with at the start. Then the diameter of the bolts from the new 60mm riser was to big for the holes in the the triple clamp so i just used the original riser bolts which worked perfect. It took 3 rides yesterday to get the bar position right but that was only small adjustments. Seems perfect now. I cant recommend any more highly how much better it is.

There are various other comments and replies. Worth a read. You can find the post here https://www.facebook.com/groups/316921985136457/permalink/1045449098950405/ and it doesn't require joining the group to read it.

grog

Baz, changing the bars?Think im one of the rare ones that like stock bars. I tried with 30 mm risers, so much more wind pressure in wrong places. Might look into it, a few mm lower i reckon id like. Had Laverda adjustables on a Suzuki yonks ago, they were brilliant. Not sure if still available.

SFC1000

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

grog

SFC1000

I tried them the other day by holding them over the factory ones and I think they are too narrow to suit. A couple of inches by memory.
The Lav's are 500lb bikes, but not as wide as 14's.
Actually I've noticed a lot of similarities when looking a 14 over especially the frame back bone under the tank is very much like a Lav.

grog

Irish in Oz

I used the Laverda style bars on GT's and RD's back in late seventies and early eighties, at that time I worked in H&W shipyard and they where making them there. I got them for free but they where for test purposes of coarse.

SFC1000

Not that you need any, but I guess Slater's in your neck of the woods would still have them or copies.

DP1400

Great subject gsxbarmy - on my Bandit `12, I had standard bars which were great. My `14 was fitted with Renthal`s when I bought it, which look spot-on but i`ve always found them a little wide. They`re great for motorway cruising and fast `A` road riding, but through the twisties they can be a little disconcerting through the tighter bends. Their width exaggerates the bikes` lean angle big-time and really take some getting used to. They are also a bit awkward when manouvering the bike whilst sitting on it. I`ve never experienced riding a `14 with standards.

Though I can`t confirm it, I think (through measuring), that they must be 749`s, (`Road Wide`). As said, the bike looks great, especially after I junked the unneccessary brace & pad within 24hrs of ownership!

One day i`ll change them and maybe try a compromise - 755`s i`m thinking.

Anyone using 755`s?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk