News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Fit Side Cowls

Started by gsxbarmy, Sunday, 05 February 2017, 11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxbarmy

NOTE: This thread is also available to download as a PDF file from the Downloads (General) Section

How To Fit Side Cowls

Here's how to fit side cowls with a radiator guard (i.e. Beowulf Guard) in place.

Materials needed
You can do it cheaper using A2 grade stainless, but I prefer A4 Marine Grade (as its more "all weather" (but then it is a bit dearer, about double price of A2 grade)). You will need the following (typically available off eBay):
•   M6 threaded bar (100mm)
•   M6 Hex Bar Connectors 18mm long * 4

First off you need to get some M6 threaded bar and some 18mm long Hex Bar connectors. These are available on eBay quite cheaply. I use A4 grade stainless rather than A2, as A4 is marine grade thus doesn't react to the elements too badly (compared to A2).

So having got the bar, I cut lengths 15-18mm long then half screw them into the Hex bar connector, adjusted the length by measuring up against the oil cooler with rad guard in place such that the bolt foes not extend past the welded bolt inside the oil cooler (that you normally screw the rad guard in place with). Note - I only half screw them in as the other half acts as the hole for screwing the original screws back in when you fit the cowl. I then reassemble the Hex Bar connector and threaded bar using some red loctite (as this tends to set fairly hard!) - just make sure there is enough depth inside the Hex Bar connector for the original screws that held the rad guard on and the cowl. Leave to one side and then wait for the loctite to dry. Repeat above 3 more times (as you need 4 extenders)

Once dry, I screw these back into the oil cooler / oil cooler cover (which means that is all fitted). I then offer up the cowls and using the original screws that held the cooler cover in place, attach the cowls.

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Gkjnr

Where can i buy the oil cooler shrouds?
Thanks

gsxbarmy

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk