Shopping for new chain & sprockets

Started by VladTepes, Tuesday, 09 February 2021, 08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric GSX1400K3

As I've  got the chain breaker and rivet tooling, this one is the one I'd  go for,  silent front  sprocket too

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suzuki-GSX1400-01-08-DID-JT-Quiet-Chain-And-Sprocket-Kit/192801823750

If you're  an ebay plus member,  shipping  is free too
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Eric GSX1400K3

I'm in the market for a new set to.  Question is do I go back to std ratios or stick with the current ratio 17/43 I've got now?  I  bought the bike with those ratios so don't know any different.  Speedo is way out (optimistic) as a result.

Any thoughts?
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

KiwiCol

That's a bit like asking what tyres to put on.    :doh:   Most guys here I'd say run a standard set up, but there are some who run a 19 front & 41 rear (I think Snapey ran a 19 front & 38 rear) & some who run a 17 front & 41 rear, yours at 17 / 43 would be revving way higher than most, and quite unnecessarily in my opinion, but, as you say, you got it like that & know no different.  Each to their own, it's your ride, have it how you like it.

Personally if it were mine, I'd change back to std, if for nothing else other than to try it.  Your economy will improve, but your take off's may be slightly down.  These bikes have plenty of grunt, they don't need to be ringing themselves to get somewhere. (IMO)  :onya:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Eric GSX1400K3

Thanks KiwiCol, I did realise it was a loaded question.

Atm it's running at around 3200rpm at an indicated 100kmh, which I reckon is around 90-92kph actual road speed, so yes, overrevving a bit.

Take offs are good though. Fuel mileage is pretty good, never really think about it on the bike as that's not what i bought it for, but I agree with std gearing should see an improvement.

I'm yet to play with the ratio spreadsheet, but I'm leaning to going back to std.

KiwiCol

There are a few calculators online, here's 1 & it shows your current setup as 10% (9.9) more torque & 10% (9.9) less top end.  Just so you know what to expect with a change.  Have a play with the ratios & see where you'd like to be.

https://sprocketcalculator.com/

grog

Mine standard is 100 kph at 3k revs, same as everyones with stock gearing. Speedo shows just about 109. Next chain change thinking of going up one tooth on front. Same chain links required, Would increase speed by around 6%. Should make speedo almost accurate, cant imagine a lot of diff in acceleration.   @Snapey from memory that was your choice? Does that increase odometer reading by same amount? guess it must. Odometer is perfect at moment, .1% wrong according to gps. Not sure i want that to change.

KiwiCol

Grog, the odo changes with the front sprocket.  I had a 17 front on the Blue when I got it, the odo was out even though I put a speedo healer on it. Got the standard 18 back on it now.   Same links, 106.

Hooli

Odo changes with either sprocket, as does the speedo.

froudy

While we're on the subject of chains. I saw this yesterday. A neat simple idea as an alternative to a rivet or split link...
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

Mick_J

That's a neat and very simple solution to changing a chain, I will look into that when I need a new chain.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Hooli

I'd be looking to thread lock those & I'd be concerned with clearances. I suspect they'd come rather close to the clutch slave carrier & the speedo pickup on a 14.

froudy

Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 05 March  2021, 08:10 PM
I'd be looking to thread lock those & I'd be concerned with clearances. I suspect they'd come rather close to the clutch slave carrier & the speedo pickup on a 14.

If you look at the bottom right final photo, you break the nuts off when tightened, so no clearance issues. :onya:
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

Hooli

Quote from: froudy on Friday, 05 March  2021, 09:10 PM
Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 05 March  2021, 08:10 PM

If you look at the bottom right final photo, you break the nuts off when tightened, so no clearance issues. :onya:

Ahh I couldn't work out what that was showing, thanks.

Eric GSX1400K3

Cool idea, but you'd be wondering that the torque on the threads holding them on is enough when the nut breaks off.

I'll stick with cold formed rivets for now.

Hooli

I can't see what's left, but I know 'snap off' heads have been used to retain steering columns in cars for years. So they must work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk