News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Collector Box - Worth the Hassle?

Started by Eisenfarn, Thursday, 26 March 2020, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eisenfarn

Hi all, just lifted up the back of my G5 to sort out a stiff mainstand and noticed the collector box is very badly rusted. Not pulled it off yet, but expecting the worst and am pricing a new one. Ebay lists a Delkevic stainless 4 into 2 for 149 quid, a couple of questions: my G5 i'm almost sure had a 4 into 1 originally, but is now 4 into 2 with Fuel end cans. The Delkevic is listed G1 - G4, am I going to have fitting issues? Also has anyone bought this box on Ebay, is the quality good?

Is it worth the hassle of trying to repair / paint the one on the bike, or just go for the new one?

Thank you

gsxbarmy

If the one fitted at present is now looking worse for wear, you would be better off fitting a stainless collector.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Will14

K2 to K4 (I think) had twin pipe 4-2, K5 onwards had a single side pipe 4-1, if you have twin pipes now then the Delkevic collector that you mention will fit

I would recommend that you deal direct with Delkevik though rather than ebay, I phoned them at 3pm last Friday and ordered a set of tri oval cans for my K2, no problem was the reply all in stock and will be delivered on Monday, when I asked about a Saturday delivery I couldn't believe what they said "NO PROBLEM" if you want to order now we will include Saturday delivery FOC! The cans arrived on Saturday and I couldn't believe the quality considering they were a good couple of hundred quid cheaper than other makes   

https://delkevic.co.uk/s/Suzuki/GSX1400%20/2005

Hope this helps

Peter

Eisenfarn

The collector box is well buggered, one of the front flanges is actually missing :(. Can anyone suggest the best way to get this off, seems pretty well stuck in there, without removing the downpipes :)

Eisenfarn

Off at last, took a bit of brute force. Ordered a Delkevic stainless steel collector from their website, 149 quid inc postage and a 5 year warranty. They do a downpipe and collector bundle for £249 which I think is a good price and 50 quid cheaper than if you bought them separately, but my downpipes seem OK so far.

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

GSXKING

WOW that stand sure makes working underneath the bike easier. I just have carpet on the garage floor to lie on.  :stir: :stir: :stir:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

GSXKING

Quote from: Eisenfarn on Monday, 30 March  2020, 03:00 AM
Off at last, took a bit of brute force. Ordered a Delkevic stainless steel collector from their website, 149 quid inc postage and a 5 year warranty. They do a downpipe and collector bundle for £249 which I think is a good price and 50 quid cheaper than if you bought them separately, but my downpipes seem OK so far.

Mate show us the rest of the system I think you may consider a whole new exhaust or you're going to continue to have problems with corrosion IMHO.  :onya:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

bikerface

I just brought the Headers and collector box from them
Really good quality check out my little blog here for more details

https://tomstc.co.uk/delkavicgsx1400

Eisenfarn

Great stand, wouldn't be without it now, works just as well on my other monster, although it is scary to have something that heavy so high up and to basically turn it into a shopping trolley :(

Eisenfarn

Just about to fit the new collector and found the No.3 downpipe was loose, Fukin thing, plenty of plusgas, carefuly working the manifold bolts back and forth, not too much torque and still this happens. They had both come out about 4 turns :(

Ill weld a nut on the end of em tomorrow :(.

Ever started a straighforward job and wished you hadn't?

Can anyone suggest replacements bolts, high tensile?, mild steel, stainless steel?

Thanks

Tally

Studs and nuts are the preferred option amongst the guys who have already replaced the header bolts, stainless steel I believe, if I'm wrong somebody will put me right on here. Hope this helps. :onya:

Eisenfarn

Fired up my MIG, not used for a while, each time I try and feed the wire it trips the house ELCB, pissed about with that for an hour or so with no luck. Tried my arc welder to weld a nut on the end of one of the studs, not really working. Can't even borrow my mates MIG with this covid lockdown going on.  Looking around for an alternative and ordered a chuck type stud extractor on Amazon 27 quid, it has good reviews, some are from motorcyclists.

Looking at studs rather than bolts, cut a bolt at 35mm to test on the bike, with this rigged there is just enough room to get a nut on, but not enough for a socket on the nut. I think these are the original downpipes, has anyone got studs to work?

Irish in Oz

What sort of rods are you using, if the stud is stainless even with a dissimilar nut I would be using stainless rods.

Cykik

Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk