:rofl2:
You win some you lose some.
(Sold August 2020)
2008 K7 Model
-Full Akrapovic Race Exhaust System
-DNA Air filter
-PCIII

Cursed

This looks helpful, although a little daunting!

I'd like to give this a go myself but the only engine i've ever stripped down is a CG125 pushrod engine. I have a haynes manual and this forum so I should have all the info.. Would you advise against it? Or is it a case of take notes and photos as I go, follow instructions and I should be ok?
Some call it reckless behaviour - I prefer to think of it as youthful exuberance & character building.

Hooli

I'd try it if I needed too, but then I've been inside gearboxes & engines before. It's up to you really, do you feel confident?

At least if you take the lump out & split it to take a look & then hand it over to a workshop you've saved a lot of the labour cost getting to that point.

Cursed

Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 07 June  2018, 08:27 PM
I'd try it if I needed too, but then I've been inside gearboxes & engines before. It's up to you really, do you feel confident?

At least if you take the lump out & split it to take a look & then hand it over to a workshop you've saved a lot of the labour cost getting to that point.

I do near enough all the work on my bikes myself, i've just never had an engine apart (aside from the CG mentioned earlier) - I suppose what you're saying re: labour is true!
Some call it reckless behaviour - I prefer to think of it as youthful exuberance & character building.

Mick_J

In the 70's I had third gear bugger off on holiday from my Honda CB550f2, I have never stripped any engine before but had a go anyway.  Take it steady and follow all the instructions in the manual and you will be fine, I had my Honda back on the road will all gears working properly over the weekend.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Hooli

The only bike gearbox I've done is my old Bonnie, much easier than the Land Rover one I did years before as no syncro etc.

kquacker

Morning all,

I inherited a K2 with 56k miles on her. Its been laid up for the past 5 years in a heated garage and started regularly etc. Previous owner maintained and treated her well.
But in second & fifth gear she spins/slips on opening up the throttle. It doesn't jump out of gear, it just slips. I was initially thinking it was the second gear gremlin but now that it happens in fifth also, I'm not so sure.I've given her a general service as well as fitting new parts to the clutch slave cylinder with the additional seal and fresh fluid. If it was the clutch, would it not slip in other gears also?
What do you guys think ? All advice suggestions welcome.

T 24

Clutch problem, I think.
I had that our "traditional 2nd gear issue", and you really can hear and feel it.
The sound is like chain jumping over the front sprocket!

kquacker

Quote from: T 24 on Tuesday, 26 June  2018, 09:00 PM
Clutch problem, I think.
I had that our "traditional 2nd gear issue", and you really can hear and feel it.
The sound is like chain jumping over the front sprocket!

I'm thinking clutch too given it affects 2nd & 5th gear.
Thanks for the reply, T24.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackAdder

Hi. You've got it sorted allready or still under progress?

It might be the cluch basket retaining nut (the big one underneath the cluch pressure plate) coming loose - 1st gear acceleration tightens it, chagne to second it loosens and pushes the pressure plate up a bit and so on... ...known issue in aircooled suzy's. If you still havent changed all of those, pop the cluch cover open, take off the pressure plate and check the big nut - should be at 90Nm. You dont have to drain the oil either IF you lean the bike on it's left side flat. The cluch springs bolts are 10Nm and the cluch cover 11Nm. And you might want to have some sealant on hand as the cluch cover gasget most probably will brake.
...I accidentally Mordored my motor, is it bad...?

kquacker

Quote from: BlackAdder on Sunday, 22 July  2018, 08:51 PM
Hi. You've got it sorted allready or still under progress?

It might be the cluch basket retaining nut (the big one underneath the cluch pressure plate) coming loose - 1st gear acceleration tightens it, chagne to second it loosens and pushes the pressure plate up a bit and so on... ...known issue in aircooled suzy's. If you still havent changed all of those, pop the cluch cover open, take off the pressure plate and check the big nut - should be at 90Nm. You dont have to drain the oil either IF you lean the bike on it's left side flat. The cluch springs bolts are 10Nm and the cluch cover 11Nm. And you might want to have some sealant on hand as the cluch cover gasget most probably will brake.
Blackadder,
Not sorted it as yet. I've been riding around the problem given all this fine weather we've been having. I'll check out that retaining nut. Appreciate the reply.
Kquacker

Malarky

Hi Kquacker, how did you get on with this as I think I might have the same problem.

Teufel

After fitting yoshi cams and akra system I had the same problem.
I can't remember which gears, but thought it must be power related.
I put in stronger clutch springs and it's been fine since 2012.
Springs are only a few dollars and it's an easy fix IF IT WORKS.
Good luck.

kquacker

Quote from: Malarky on Wednesday, 12 September  2018, 09:02 AM
Hi Kquacker, how did you get on with this as I think I might have the same problem.
Malarkey, I haven't had time to look into it as of yet. I'm hoping to give it some attention early next month.

seth

The 2nd gear problem only seamed to affect early models k2's mostly the gears were modified on later models .
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk