Author Topic: Wanted On the hunt for a Givi rear rack 527FZ  (Read 442 times)

Offline Snapey

• Forum Legend & Forum Donor 2020
  • Road Warrior
Re: On the hunt for a Givi rear rack 527FZ
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, 24 September 2022, 09:47 am »
Looks like I should go back in to the custom rack making business ..... but I won't because I can't even be bothered making one for my new SE.
If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

Offline mjgt

• Torque Master
  • North Somerset
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, 24 September 2022, 07:57 pm »
Shad make a rack to fit the 1400, I've one on my bike.
Thanks for the heads up @mjgt. I will add one of those racks to the search. Do you run a decent sized top box and, if so, any concerns about your Shad rack's durability and strength?

No mate, I only have a 47l top box but shad go up to over 50 I think.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Offline Batkwaka

• Tarmac Tearer
  • Ride on!
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, 25 September 2022, 02:34 pm »
I have the Givi Top Box and Pannier mount system, as well as the seperate singular Givi Top Box mount. I would be happy to loan them if somebody wanted to replicate them but given their rarity they are not for sale.
May the sun be warm & shining and your roads be smooth & winding.

Offline j_rider

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, 05 October 2022, 07:26 pm »
Thank you to everyone who contributed to my knowledge here. I ended up buying an SW Motech rear rack today.

Not sure whether hard panniers are in my future, which the SW solution can't accommodate, but decided to try the SW solution first as it looks sleek and was available (got the last one in stock atm from Motorrad Garage, as recommended here).

Now will keep my eye out for a Givi rack and pannier system for the next few months/years.  :)

Offline Stepdoug

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, 05 October 2022, 11:32 pm »
Thank you to everyone who contributed to my knowledge here. I ended up buying an SW Motech rear rack today.

Not sure whether hard panniers are in my future, which the SW solution can't accommodate, but decided to try the SW solution first as it looks sleek and was available (got the last one in stock atm from Motorrad Garage, as recommended here).

Now will keep my eye out for a Givi rack and pannier system for the next few months/years.  :)
Myself and a few others in the UK. Have fitted the pre v-tec vfr pannier frames to the 1400 they do need a little bit of fettling to fit but do go on.
But that is onto the givi topbox arms.
Think it's the plr527

Offline j_rider

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, 19 October 2022, 10:08 pm »
A good day today. Last night I did my 'weekly' Gumtree search for GSX1400. Among the listings was one from a local seller offering a used set of the legendary GSX1400-specific Givi pannier racks (plus the Givi rear rack and monokey panniers). The seller had them on his K6, which he removed before selling his bike a number of years ago.

As mentioned above, earlier in the month I had bought a SW Motech street rack. I hadn't yet installed as I was waiting for the appropriate Monokey plate to come back into stock. Sp
I checked with the store that I could return the SW rack, then contacted the seller of the Givi racks. Picked them up this morning. :)

Removed the Ventura rack/rails this afternoon. Install of the rear rack and plate was simple - just 2 bolts (top of shock mounts), 2 bolts (replacing rear grab handle bolts). No instructions needed.

Givi Trekker top box now has a new home. Obviously neither the Givi rack nor box are as svelte and unobtrusive a solution as the Ventura rack/semi-soft bag, but happy to have lockable storage again.

Don't intend to have hard panniers attached all the time, but would like to mount the pannier racks soon to make sure I have all the mounting hardware and that the system fits/works. Tried searching internet for instructions or pics, but no joy.

Would appreciate if anyone here could provide a link to the Givi pannier rack installation instructions or some decent pics of the racks mounted on a G14 (without the panniers themselves attached so that I can see how it all fits together).

**** EDIT: Actually going to post the request for assistance in a separate post as I don't know what happens to these 'Wanted' posts once the wanted item is found. ****

Thanks. Ride safe, J
« Last Edit: Wednesday, 19 October 2022, 10:28 pm by j_rider »

Offline Hooli

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, 19 October 2022, 11:26 pm »
It's a doddle.

The 'long leg' on the pannier rack goes to the bottom of the pillion pegs. There's two types of pannier rack, sounds like you have the later one so the RH side goes to the exhaust mounting bolt & the LH side fits onto (a longer I think) pivot pin for the peg. The earlier kit require the earlier twin exhaust LH peg with the exhaust hanger on it.

The 'small leg' in the middle of the top of the pannier rack has an allen bolt through it (M8 I think, but that's from old memories) that screws into a threaded hole in the rack arm. If it's 'as new' then there's a plastic bung in the rack arm hiding the hole.

This is the best pic I can find at short notice.

Offline j_rider

« Reply #22 on: Friday, 21 October 2022, 04:01 pm »
Thanks again @Hooli for the info.

Can an admin please lock or close this thread as I have found what I was looking for, but can't change the status of my original post. Thanks.

Offline KiwiCol

• Forum Donor 2021
  • Administrator
  • Beer or Bourbon 4 me!
« Reply #23 on: Friday, 21 October 2022, 07:02 pm »
Closed as requested.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk