Author Topic: K4 model / chip keys ?  (Read 189 times)

Offline Dav3y

K4 model / chip keys ?
« on: Thursday, 06 October 2022, 08:55 pm »
Hi, just wondered if anyone can confirm. I was looking at a K4 that needs a fair bit of work on. It's been unused for years but being a twin exhaust thought the electrics should be fine to sort because the keys have been lost although the V5 is there. I asked for a picture of the ECU and it looks like a later twin plug model that uses chip keys. I'm guessing the only option would be replacement ECU with matched keys or could a dealer program some keys from the ECU ? Looks like it's going to be a no go at the end of the day as was hoping to rescue it.

Offline Hooli

Re: K4 model / chip keys ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 06 October 2022, 09:44 pm »
I think I know the one you're looking at, black & in Stevenage?

I've been trying to decide if it's a K4 or K5 myself. It's got the early centre stand & twin cans along with grey shock springs that all say K4 but the pic of the clocks shows a K5 casing.

Offline SpongeBob

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 06 October 2022, 11:29 pm »
K4 ECUs have twin plugs (this is the first year Suzuki switched to Mitsubishi ECUs, was Panasonic one on previous model), however they don't need chip key. There should be no antenna around the ignition switch. So I guess you need to ensure/figure out if it is really a K4 -- even if the clocks casings have been changed for some reason.

Offline Dav3y

« Reply #3 on: Friday, 07 October 2022, 01:29 pm »

I've been trying to decide if it's a K4 or K5 myself. It's got the early centre stand & twin cans along with grey shock springs that all say K4 but the pic of the clocks shows a K5 casing.

Indeed that is the one. Not sure where i got K4 from, i thought i read it somewhere. Confused me as i thought all earlier models were twin exhaust but the ECU is definitely different from my non chip key K3 with the single plug.

Offline Dav3y

« Reply #4 on: Friday, 07 October 2022, 01:35 pm »
K4 ECUs have twin plugs (this is the first year Suzuki switched to Mitsubishi ECUs, was Panasonic one on previous model), however they don't need chip key. There should be no antenna around the ignition switch. So I guess you need to ensure/figure out if it is really a K4 -- even if the clocks casings have been changed for some reason.

Twin exhaust with the later twin plug ECU. He sent me a photo. According to the Woolwich racing software the K4 on are all the same and can be reflashed with their tuning software/kit so I'm surprised to hear there are non chip key and chip key versions with twin plugs. https://www.woolichracing.co.uk/products/suzuki/gsx-1400/suzuki-gsx-1400-ecu-flashing.aspx#productTable

Offline Hooli

« Reply #5 on: Friday, 07 October 2022, 04:57 pm »

Indeed that is the one. Not sure where i got K4 from, i thought i read it somewhere. Confused me as i thought all earlier models were twin exhaust but the ECU is definitely different from my non chip key K3 with the single plug.

It does/did say 2004 in the advert.

I'd have had it as a winter project too, but he's gone quiet so I think someone else has snapped it up.

Offline SpongeBob

« Reply #6 on: Friday, 07 October 2022, 06:05 pm »

Twin exhaust with the later twin plug ECU. He sent me a photo. According to the Woolwich racing software the K4 on are all the same and can be reflashed with their tuning software/kit so I'm surprised to hear there are non chip key and chip key versions with twin plugs. https://www.woolichracing.co.uk/products/suzuki/gsx-1400/suzuki-gsx-1400-ecu-flashing.aspx#productTable

K4s have the twin plug ECU and indeed can be reflashed as there are the Mitsubishi models. However the K4 doesn't have the chip key nor, obviously, the antenna around the ignition switch.  See any any (e.g. on-line) parts catalog. For example here around the ignition switch, here item no 10 on K5 diagram. you will also see on another diagram that K2/K3/K4 share the same clocks covers

Offline Dav3y

« Reply #7 on: Friday, 07 October 2022, 06:25 pm »
Ahh well, it seems the K4 ECU/ECM is unique then. Guess i should have stuck with it and bought it but didn't want to risk being stuck with something i thought impossible to get running without replacement ECU/keys

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk