News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Stolen Data

Started by grog, Tuesday, 27 September 2022, 06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grog

My phone company Optus been scammed, all my data sold. So annoyed the world now knows how many MPG 14 does.

Mick_J

I bought it, 48p and there nothing of any interest there, unless anyone want to see the pictures.   ;)
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Hooli

If it's all the same to you, please don't post those pics you told me about  :bugga:

GSXKING

If like me you don't do internet banking etc. and use phone for basic stuff it's not really an issue.
I'm more concerned that a multi billion $$$ company has firewalls built by Swiss cheese 🧀 techs & it was seemingly easy to hack.
How many other things do you think the CCP will hack 🧐🧐🧐
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Hooli

As it seems the CCP write most of the software, or at least have it from making the kit/stealing the design. It's no surprise they find/add backdoors to everything.

VladTepes

Biggest issue here is - once they have identified you as legally required - why do they need to keep the actual data?
They have no need at all to retain things like Medicare numbers etc. It's just more personal data there sitting ready to be exposed in the event of a breach. That's always a WHEN not an IF, these days.

Quote from: GSXKING on Tuesday, 27 September  2022, 08:28 PM
How many things do you think the CCP will hack 🧐🧐🧐

Everything they possibly can. They are looking for
- material they can use against influential individuals
- any details of technology they can steal (to locally manufacture things, IP rights are not a thing there)
- defence secrets (of course)
- back doors into critical infrastructure so they can interfere / shut things down at will, and
- everything else.

What the CCP (and other foreign actors) DON'T DO is publicise their successes or make ransom demands.

It's quite likely they have already compromised OPTUS and many other companies, without being noticed. It's just this more recent, less sophisticated hack that has been noticed.

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Hooli

Quote from: VladTepes on Wednesday, 28 September  2022, 09:13 AM
Biggest issue here is - once they have identified you as legally required - why do they need to keep the actual data?
They have no need at all to retain things like Medicare numbers etc. It's just more personal data there sitting ready to be exposed in the event of a breach. That's always a WHEN not an IF, these days.

Over here we've got GDPR laws to prevent that, I expect it still happens due to poor management at a lot of companies though.

GSXKING

GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

VladTepes

Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 28 September  2022, 04:12 PM

Over here we've got GDPR laws to prevent that,

Ok keep on believing that...  :rofl3:

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Hooli

Quote from: VladTepes on Tuesday, 04 October  2022, 08:06 AM
Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 28 September  2022, 04:12 PM

Over here we've got GDPR laws to prevent that,

Ok keep on believing that...  :rofl3:

I never said they worked.

Rynglieder

GDPR can be a bit of a double edged sword.

I have an issue at the moment with everyone I have dealt with on the internet is insisting that they have my mobile phone number for "two step verification" to the point where you can't trade with them or even log-in without giving into their demand.

I don't want my mobile number in wide circulation, why should I have to give it to Ebay? All purchases are paid for up front, they have a landline number and e-mail address for me if they are concerned about something.

I think insisting on my mobile number before I can log-in is a breach of GDPR in itself, it is obtaining and holding personal information without good cause.

I've made a point of not using Ebay since it kicked off - their (sellers) loss, but at some point I'll no doubt be forced into it because of something I really need.

KiwiCol

Pete, how you get around that is to buy the cheapest 2nd hand mobile you can as an additional phone, new sim for it & use that as the mobile number they want.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

VladTepes

Quote from: Rynglieder on Thursday, 06 October  2022, 01:52 AM

I think insisting on my mobile number before I can log-in is a breach of GDPR in itself, it is obtaining and holding personal information without good cause.

They get away with it because the additional security provided is considered 'good cause' which is to say in line with the GDPR notion of protecting users.

Having said that I think 2 factor authentication is optional, or at least that you can do it via email rather than mobile phone.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

grog

So after e mails txts from Optus telling me my stuff stolen, no real help from them. Changed drivers licence today, have changed so many passwords, added security on bank stuff. They do sweet f all, i do the work, is that how it should be. They stuffed up, they dont stand up. Really annoying

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk