News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

How long do tyres last?

Started by Mick_J, Monday, 01 November 2021, 09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

Quote from: seth on Tuesday, 02 November  2021, 11:21 PM
Never owned a tyre long enough for to get to old .
I tend to have 1 or 2 new pairs each year . :cheers:

Same here. I appear to have done 13k between two bikes since Easter this year, so the Strumpet has just had it's third set of tyres this year fitted (3 rears, 2 fronts). There's probably 2-3k before easter on my 14 but tbh I've lost track.

Having said that the tyres that have just gone on Strumpet are 2017 & 2018 as I got them from someone who had them on a bike & didn't like them. He removed them after a few hundred mile & left them in the shed, then I got them & left them in my garage for about six months too.

Hooli

Mind you something has just occurred to me & I've checked Stroppy, hers are from 2009...

Batkwaka

Did you know a recycled car tyre can make 365 condoms...

If it's a GoodYear!
May the sun be warm & shining and your roads be smooth & winding.

Hooli

And it still only needs one puncture to ruin everything.

BlueDragon

When I bought my VFR800, it had 6 year old Michelin's on it.  Hated them..

I set the suspension up with proper sag numbers etc.  Rear shock had been converted to a rebuilt CBR 900 Fireblade shock so had all the adjustments on it.

But no matter what I tried with suspension and using recommended tyre pressures, every corner I went around, not even pushing at all, the bike always felt like the front and rear were sliding out on me.  The tyres themselves did have an "old" look to them in that they were very grey in colour..

After finally getting fed up with it I replaced the tyres with new Metzeler Roadtec01 front and rear.  Same suspension settings and the bike was amazing, the way it should have been. 

I was actually able to track down one of the previous owners of the bike (aside from the guy I bought it off) and he said that the bike sat outside a lot in the sun.  So I dare say that the tyres just got weathered and worn out that way due to the sun and ultra violet light..  unlike the brand new "old" tyres that were tried out in the video test and were stored properly etc.

grog

Agree totally Blue, the Sun would wreck them.Not sure Northern Hemisphere people understand our solar/heat damage.

Hooli

Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 03 November  2021, 10:27 PM
Quote from: seth on Tuesday, 02 November  2021, 11:21 PM
Never owned a tyre long enough for to get to old .
I tend to have 1 or 2 new pairs each year . :cheers:

Same here. I appear to have done 13k between two bikes since Easter this year, so the Strumpet has just had it's third set of tyres this year fitted (3 rears, 2 fronts). There's probably 2-3k before easter on my 14 but tbh I've lost track.

Having said that the tyres that have just gone on Strumpet are 2017 & 2018 as I got them from someone who had them on a bike & didn't like them. He removed them after a few hundred mile & left them in the shed, then I got them & left them in my garage for about six months too.

Small update, that bloke in the video was right. I've done 150miles today in temps from about 10c down to 3c on raods that were sometimes damp, the Storms are scrubbed in to about 5mm off the back edges & didn't feel any different to new new tyres (if that makes sense).

VladTepes

"Motorcycle tyres are like roses and young girls. They last while they last." - Charles De Gaulle

Well he said something like that.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

steve porter

I have a precisely calibrated thumbnail that I use to check the hardness/ softness of the tyre   

Rynglieder

I must be the unluckiest SOB around as far as tyres on my GSX go.

I found a puncture in the rear of mine at the end of a ride out in June, a combination of my own holidays and workshop time avaialbility at my dealer meant that it was 28th July before it got sorted.

The next run out was a 200 mile round trip in August with a couple of mates, the first 100 being steady to break the tyre in. Two weeks later I try to drag the bike ot for another ride only to find it won't budge because of a broken screw embeded in it.

Another tyre ordered and fitted after a long wait 01/10, and it did survive the next short run out. However, this morning I have gone to pull the GSX out to check over for next week's MOT and I find that the front tyre is now deflated due to a pinhole puncture.

Tomorrow my GSX will be having it's third tyre fitted in three months, with every one of those taken off having plenty of meat still on them  :furious:

Hooli

Why aren't you getting them plugged? I'd never throw away a plugable tyre.

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 10 November  2021, 04:25 AM
Why aren't you getting them plugged? I'd never throw away a plugable tyre.

I agree. You can have a tyre plugged twice (assuming the puncture isn't in the illegal area or tyre state) before having to change it. I had a puncture professionally repaired on my Triumph (when I had it) on a new tyre that had done 80 miles, good as new after that. Cost me all of £15.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Rynglieder

I've plugged a tyre myself in the past (and still cary the kit around when touring), but only to get me somewhere for a replacement.

My impression was that they should only be regarded as temporary fixes, perhaps I'm being over-cautios then?

Notty

Quote from: Rynglieder on Wednesday, 10 November  2021, 04:53 AM
I've plugged a tyre myself in the past (and still cary the kit around when touring), but only to get me somewhere for a replacement.

My impression was that they should only be regarded as temporary fixes, perhaps I'm being over-cautios then?
I change tyres after a puncture - I wouldn't be happy at 120 mph (private track) relying on a plug
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Hooli

Quote from: Rynglieder on Wednesday, 10 November  2021, 04:53 AM

Temporary plug kits you can do yourself are indeed temporary, not that I haven't done max speed on them & run them for thousands of miles till the tyre wore out.

Plugs at a tyre shop are from the inside & as good as an undamaged tyre.

I think my personal best is six temporary plugs in one tyre & I still ran it till it was bald.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk