News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Fork seal removal tool

Started by seth, Saturday, 14 August 2021, 04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seth

Hiya all looking for recommendations on fork seal removal tools .
I'm not sure what's best so what do you lot recommend.
Links to but would be appreciated.
Cheers seth
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

mlivkovich

Removal or install? No need for tool when removing fork seals. I use masking tape when installing seals and I've done at least 20 in last 2 years :cheers:

seth

@mlivkovich
Removal I have all the correct tools for refitting a proper slide fitting tool .
It's just a better way of getting them out as currently use a screwdriver and it's not very professional or accurate.

Sethbot Postwhore

Dusty ST

I think there's some misunderstanding here, as I don't see how you'd use a screwdriver to get the seal out.
The usual way to get the seals out is to knock them out by holding the upper and lower legs in each hand and giving them a sharp pull in opposite directions, maybe half a dozen times.
Obviously the leg is off the bike, unscrew the bolt at the bottom of the leg, remove the dust cover, wasker spring clip holding the seal in, and oil and internal fork gubbins removed.
Like this
0TCYIEcDcts?t=567
'02 GSX1400 K2
'08 1050 Sprint ST (RIP :( )
'17 1050 Tiger Sport

mlivkovich

There are some bikes/forks where seals stay in place when you separate stanchions and there are some tools...
:cheers:

grog

OK, im lazy mechanic. Forks really dont interest me, i pay for service, oil change, new seals. Not a lot of money. Works for me. Bloke who does it, factory trained KTM Tech, says always wipe down after washing etc. Rag with silicone. Seals will last longer. Always done it, no probs. Other question, surely seals can be popped out and replaced without dis assembly of whole forks?

Hooli

Quote from: grog on Monday, 16 August  2021, 07:20 PMOther question, surely seals can be popped out and replaced without dis assembly of whole forks?

Yup. Even if you go as inelegantly as screwing a self tapper into the top of the seal & pulling it out with a pair of pilers.

KiwiCol

Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 17 August  2021, 01:34 AM
Quote from: grog on Monday, 16 August  2021, 07:20 PMOther question, surely seals can be popped out and replaced without dis assembly of whole forks?

Yup. Even if you go as inelegantly as screwing a self tapper into the top of the seal & pulling it out with a pair of pilers.

With methods like that Hooli, sound like you'd be right at home in NZ . . .
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

mlivkovich

Other question, surely seals can be popped out and replaced without dis assembly of whole forks?
[/quote]

Why not disassemble and clean everything while forks are off the bike?

seth

@mlivkovich
Thanks I've seen both of them my question for anyone would be which is best .
I've done self tapper and screwdriver but I'd like to buy the proper tool . :cheers:

Sethbot Postwhore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk