News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Maintenance free chain

Started by Mick_J, Thursday, 10 September 2020, 06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick_J

BMW claims to have developed a maintenance free chain and will be rolling them out for other bikes in the future.  Lets hope they start to make 530 chains as the BMW uses 520 so they wont fit our big girls.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-tech/bmw-m-endurance-chain/
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

grog

Sounds good to me, the price? Will be huge if made by BMW.

Hooli

So how long do the sprockets last? something has to wear. Besides it'll only be maintenance free for the life of the chain, you could claim about about our current chains if you defined their life as 10k miles.

Dusty ST

More MCN confusion... Looks like the chain is made by Regina rather than BMW  ???
'02 GSX1400 K2
'08 1050 Sprint ST (RIP :( )
'17 1050 Tiger Sport

Hooli

Quote from: Dusty ST on Thursday, 10 September  2020, 08:10 PM
More MCN confusion... Looks like the chain is made by Regina rather than BMW  ???

I don't think any bike company makes their own chains?

Eric GSX1400K3

Hmmm,  doubt the internals of the rollers are coated with the same stuff, meaning that the bushes and rollers will still wear and stretch the chain when you add all the clearances and wear up.

With the coating being that hard, sprockets would wear faster too.

Agree with Hooli.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

steve porter

I know people that consider all chains to be maintenance free

KiwiCol

Quote from: steve porter on Thursday, 10 September  2020, 11:41 PM
I know people that consider all chains to be maintenance free
Yeah, well they are, until they break, then ya just buy a new one.

I think we should re-visit Vlads driveshaft conversion, no more oiling or adjusting & super quiet.  :stir: :whistling:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

steve porter

I'm glad we've got past the boiling the chains in duckhams grease that used to be a ritual. I reckon the maintenance free claim would have to have a few caveats in the fine print though regarding water and dirt being cleaned off. Sounds like bullshit to me

steve porter

That DLC coating is what Porsche are using on the valve trains of the cover up replacement engines in the 991.1 series GT3's that keep eating motors due to what appears to be bad design,and they are still eating rockers and camshafts, so the forces involved in that scenario wouldn't compare to what chains and sprockets are subjected to I wouldn't think, but then again I am a cynical bastard

VladTepes

moving parts wear. Some slower than others but they all wear.

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Suzuki boi

Damn I miss my shaft driven deauville :cry2:

steve porter

grog

steve porter

It does sound promising, and although cynical, I am also a willing to be seduced by a good idea

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk