News:

Welcome GSX1400 enthusiasts !

Main Menu

New Angel

Started by grog, Friday, 31 July 2020, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grog

Today quoted $271 for new rear. About $50 cheaper than last time due to new model. A spec is same price as standard. My standard has had no probs but will get heavier duty, why not.

seth

Pirelli are doing money off feel.over here just now .
Meztelar (that'll be spelt wrong) are doing the same money off too.
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Irish in Oz

Pirelli and Metzler basically the same company (Chinese)

@grog
you won't get the same flexibility with the A spec they are very rigid  :stir:

grog

Irish me being a dummy, is that true or a wind up?I really have no clue.

Irish in Oz

Quote from: grog on Saturday, 01 August  2020, 05:20 PM
Irish me being a dummy, is that true or a wind up?I really have no clue.

Well I wouldn't call you a dummy, but it has to be true from what I have read on previous comments. Anyway I'm on about my forth set and won't be getting B spec.
I did put  :stir: in for a reason, should use it more often, as some appeared to believe my remark about chamfering the bolts but it gives me a  :laugh:

gsxbarmy

Quote from: seth on Saturday, 01 August  2020, 02:53 AM
Pirelli are doing money off feel.over here just now .
Meztelar (that'll be spelt wrong) are doing the same money off too.

Metzeler - nice tyre, grips well but personally I've found them to be noisy on the road. Had them as OEM on my Triumph, also on the BMW I've just picked up
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Irish in Oz

Long time back I changed from Metzler Z3 (Deano got as far as Z5) to Angel ST and the Gt's from there.

grog

Irish, actually glad you did read some of my previous comments. I didnt think anyone did. Made my day.  :laugh:

BlueDragon

I just had a new set of Angel GT's installed on the 1400.  I put them on because of the good deal I got from the shop, but would have preferred Metzeler Roadtec01's, but the shop doesn't stock Metzeler tyres.

I had Metzeler Roadtec01's on my other bike (VFR) and changed to Angel GT's to see what they were like.

Found the same thing with the 1400 - which originally had Michelin Road 5 rear and Road 4 front.  Bad combination as the tyre profiles are different and was causing handling issues.

The Metzelers overall offer a more comfortable ride for the same suspension setting when compared to the Angel GT.  But the Angel GT on both bikes make steering input more responsive.  I think here the Roadtec01 is more neutral. 

The Roadtec01 also feels like it is sinking into the road - it gives a feeling of having lots of grip, whereas to me, the Angel GT feels like it is running right on top of the road surface as if the tyre is over inflated (but isn't)  difficult to explain.. 

I never liked the Michelin Road 4/5 on the 1400, whilst they never let go on me, they never felt like they had a lot of grip, even in the dry and were not confidence inspiring.  Was even worse in the rain, no matter what suspension settings I tried, the rear end would always feel really nervous in the rain. 

But with the Roadtec01 - pouring rain or not, I didn't back off much at all, highway speeds, mountain roads or otherwise, the Roadtec01 never let go and felt like they gripped like they had glue on them.  the Angel GTs in the wet are similar (at least on the VFR, I've yet to ride the 1400 in the rain with the Angel GTs) , but not quite as good in the wet as the Roadtec01's - at least not for me.

The other thing I noticed was that when the Roadtec01's were new, they still felt totally stable in corners and were not nervous at all,  whereas when the Angel GT's were new, they felt really squirmy in the corners for at least the first 150 kays, feeling like they would let go on me and I wasn't pushing hard through the corners at all.  They were massively better after that initial 150 kays was done - gripping as I pushed bit harder around corners. 

VladTepes

@BlueDragon
QuoteI've yet to ride the 1400 in the rain with the Angel GTs

Have you yet?
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

BlueDragon

Quote from: VladTepes on Friday, 18 September  2020, 10:33 AM
@BlueDragon
QuoteI've yet to ride the 1400 in the rain with the Angel GTs

Have you yet?

Not yet, hasn't been much rain up here. 

But as I mentioned in my previous post.  With my VFR800,  same suspension settings for both sets of tyres.  The Roadtec-01's beat the Angel GT's in the rain, hands down - no competition..  I was riding back from Walcha through to Tamworth in a big rain storm with wind and had the wife as pillion.  With the Roadtec-01's, it was like the bike was magnetised to the road.  I barely backed off in speed from when I rode through the same road in the dry.  I pretty much ride that stretch of road most weekends through to Wauchope and back home again.. Best stress relief...  But the VFR felt totally planted and stable, so I just hammered through.

But in similar conditions with the Angel GT's in the rain (on the VFR), whilst they never slipped, they felt less planted in the rain and the tyre being more responsive (rather than the neutral feel that the Roadtec's give) made the bike more twitchy in the rain and felt less stable because of it I think.  At least that is my impression.  I certainly didn't feel as confident in the rain and tended to back off somewhat.  With the Roadtec's I didn't feel the need to back off at all.

I've also just installed brand new rear YSS Shocks on the 1400-  with full adjustment - Spring Pre-load/Compression/Damping and also new front springs and again new fork oil (it had only recently been changed as I got all the seals done) as well.  So will be interesting to see what the bike handles like if I get the chance to go for a ride this weekend after setting the SAG etc.

Hooli

I had Roadtec-01s last winter, they did work very well on cold wet roads. Wore out too damn quick though.

VladTepes

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

BlueDragon

@VladTepes

New suspension on the 1400 has made a huge difference to the feel of the Angel GT's. Having upgraded the front and rear suspension and gone through proper setup and fine tuning over several day long rides (taking notes along the way on suspension settings adjustment and what the result was)

Not only has it contributed to better feel, but I've also noticed that the tyres are now wearing evenly.  Not just side to side profile, but also the tyre grooves.  There are no raised or curved leading/trailing edges on the grooves any more.  I could never achieve this with the OEM suspension on the 1400, no matter the fine tune adjustments I tried. 

Same goes for the Metzeler Roadtec 01 that I had on the VFR.  Though my VFR had been modified by the previous owner with a Fireblade 959 rear shock with Compression and Rebound damping, no matter the adjustment fine tuning I tried, I wasn't able to stop the grooves from wearing the trailing and leading edges.

So new suspension has made quite a difference..  I need to now upgrade the VFR  :lol:  That said, I changed to a heavier fork oil in the VFR and this has made quite a difference to tyre wear.  Though the harder overall feel is still there when compared to the Metzeler Roadtec01.

All said though.  Once the Angel GT tyres wear down and need replacement, I'll be going back to the Metzeler Roadtec -01.  The new SE model.

That tyre may or may not have equal wear rates as the Angel GT..  not sure, I think it is slightly softer.. So may wear slightly faster and not achieve as many miles.  But to me that doesn't matter so much.  I personally like the feel, response etc of the Roadtec01 when compared to the Angel GT.

For me, the Roadtec01 gives me the best feel and hence confidence when really pushing in the dry or even pushing in the wet.  Whilst the Angel has never slid out on me at all, it doesn't give me the same feel or confidence.

For want of a better description...
The Angel GT feels like it is running across the top of the road.  Whilst the Roadtec01 feels like it is sinking into the road and and sticking to the road like super glue.

The reason I will change is that the Metzeler, I find is more neutral in handling response and is noticeably more comfortable on the crappy country roads in country NSW as well as the reasons mentioned above.  My wife also likes the Metzeler as well when she is passenger on rides.  She noticed the difference straight away when I changed to the Angel GT.

grog

Have spoken before about original GT Angel, front wore off on rhs. Rear still had lots left. I replaced front and was 6th ks b4 rear replacement. My mates MT10 has done exacy same, he rides really hard, front stuffed at 10 th ks. Pretty good i reckon. Rear has lots left. Hes fitting a front Angel 2, originals not available anymore. Will let you know how the old and new combine. His mate has done same on S1000 BMW, no complaints. So much for rear wearing b4 front. Happened in my world, 3 totally diff type of bikes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk