GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Opinions on MT01

Started by bikerface, Wednesday, 08 July 2020, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikerface

Hi All

Hope you are all doing well?
So I have had my GSX1400 for 11 years now its a GSX1400 k2 and I still love it very much!
Now over the last year or two doing a few long rides I have really struggled with my knees, I am 6'6 and my knees are a bit shot to be fair

I have tried making the seat a bit higher, lowering pegs (this didn't work I moved them back as kept scraping)
The bike is jacked up as far as it can go I know that does not affect the distance from pegs to seat obviously

So I have looked at so many other bikes but all the bikes I like are just too compact  i don't want a trialie adventure bike I want a naked street bike with attitude

I have been gorping over the MT-01 I love the look but its so rare that there is nothing close to me to throw my leg over to test, no one locally either with one.
Can someone tell me the following? as I know a few of you have had MT-01's
Are they as fast as the GSX?
Are they more roomy?
How do they handle?

Cheers Guys appreciate any views

Hooli

Not what you asked but have you tried rear sets? Lucky13 on the old Org was about 11ft tall & found the different angle they put his legs at was a lot more comfy.

bikerface

Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 08 July  2020, 06:19 PM
Not what you asked but have you tried rear sets? Lucky13 on the old Org was about 11ft tall & found the different angle they put his legs at was a lot more comfy.

You said he was 21 foot tall on facecrack!
I looked at rear-sets but they are so expensive I don't want to invest that much and not have any improvement!
They would look cool though

seth

@Speedy1959
Went from his gsx1400 to a mt01but went back to the gsx
Is say to ride they are very different bikes as the power and torque are delivered in a totally different way .
Only thing is say is get a test ride .
Other thought is your seat is 18 years old it might be worth a visit to an upholster and have it repadded as it makes a massive difference adding some new foam to it.
You can also slightly lower the footplates a little Google is your friend .
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

BJ

Had my MT01 for several years and love it. Handles well. Has R1 forks and swingarm. Takes a little to get it over but once there it holds its line very well. It excellent in the tight stuff as you don't have to change gears or usually touch the brakes so just have to concentrate on throttle and cornering.
I've spent weekends riding with the lads and it will purr along at 120, 30 or 40 (mph).
You will get left behind in the straights by the jap il4s but that's not what this bike is about.
It's a five speed but I don't really notice this.
What I really like is that it's a bike for the senses. It shakes and vibrates has huge power pulses but is also very smooth between 3000 to 4000 where all the meat is. It's sort of like hopping on a 30 yo triumph Bonneville but with heaps more torque. Mine had opened up standard pipes when I got it but I put stock back on as it was just too loud. I'm getting too old for loud and have returned a few of my bikes to standard exhaust.
Of the dozen bikes I have it would be one of the last to go if I had to sell them up.
I'm one of the lucky people who have a 14 and the MT01!!

bikerface

Quote from: seth on Wednesday, 08 July  2020, 06:38 PM
@Speedy1959
Went from his gsx1400 to a mt01but went back to the gsx
Is say to ride they are very different bikes as the power and torque are delivered in a totally different way .
Only thing is say is get a test ride .
Other thought is your seat is 18 years old it might be worth a visit to an upholster and have it repadded as it makes a massive difference adding some new foam to it.
You can also slightly lower the footplates a little Google is your friend .
:cheers:

Thanks for the input Seth, I have had the seat re-upholstered buy grizzly it was an improvement on the backside and the plumbs so that was good. But the knees still suffer and the seat is higher

bikerface

Quote from: BJ on Wednesday, 08 July  2020, 06:40 PM
Had my MT01 for several years and love it. Handles well. Has R1 forks and swingarm. Takes a little to get it over but once there it holds its line very well. It excellent in the tight stuff as you don't have to change gears or usually touch the brakes so just have to concentrate on throttle and cornering.
I've spent weekends riding with the lads and it will purr along at 120, 30 or 40 (mph).
You will get left behind in the straights by the jap il4s but that's not what this bike is about.
It's a five speed but I don't really notice this.
What I really like is that it's a bike for the senses. It shakes and vibrates has huge power pulses but is also very smooth between 3000 to 4000 where all the meat is. It's sort of like hopping on a 30 yo triumph Bonneville but with heaps more torque. Mine had opened up standard pipes when I got it but I put stock back on as it was just too loud. I'm getting too old for loud and have returned a few of my bikes to standard exhaust.
Of the dozen bikes I have it would be one of the last to go if I had to sell them up.
I'm one of the lucky people who have a 14 and the MT01!!

Yeah im considering keeping the GSX!
The GSX gets left behind by most on the motorway anyway but that's because its bloody tough at 80mph + but I am not bothered about top end I like bottom end any gear power
I have a really childish question, does the mt-01 wheelie well? Will it come up in first on power like the GSX?

Mick_J

Bikerface, have you thought about a BMW R1250r?  It has less weight, more power and more torque than the 14 and pull better at lower revs.  It also has more options for seats (4 standard heights) and lowered pegs (plenty of adjustable pegs available offering 1.5" of adjustment).  I have the R1200r with the high sports seat (2" higher) and its much more comfortable than my 14.  Handling, breaking and fuel consumption all better as well but I don't know if it will wheelie.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

BJ

does the mt-01 wheelie well?

Just checked YouTube, some do wheelie them. But that is a lot of weight coming down on the fork seals.

bikerface

Quote from: mjgt on Wednesday, 08 July  2020, 07:32 PM
Bikerface, have you thought about a BMW R1250r?  It has less weight, more power and more torque than the 14 and pull better at lower revs.  It also has more options for seats (4 standard heights) and lowered pegs (plenty of adjustable pegs available offering 1.5" of adjustment).  I have the R1200r with the high sports seat (2" higher) and its much more comfortable than my 14.  Handling, breaking and fuel consumption all better as well but I don't know if it will wheelie.

Thanks man, I had looked at these but BMW's just don't do it for me its a great bike does everything perfectly but just cant get over that feeling don't know why.
Also I don't really want to take out finance and would have to do this for  bike like this

grog

Biker, our bodies become a problem. im no tally but lately getting hip cramps. Spend a bit of time standing up to relieve. Selling my 14, just something i dont want to do. I cant find an answer. Have been doing exercises, it still comes back. Poor old hips been thru a bit in 64 yrs. Im guessing i need a bike with forward controls. Not an idea i like. Choice of bikes i dont like either. My mates Rocket is really good, footboards and fwd controls but its tyre wear is just stupid. As for the rest, nothing comes to mind. I also dont like BMW, the other Triumphs with fwd just look stupid. Harleys, id rather buy knitting needles, Jap. cruisers dont like. Maybe just put some footpegs on engine bars, will try that . Very difficult as to what to do.

bikerface

Quote from: grog on Wednesday, 08 July  2020, 08:53 PM
Biker, our bodies become a problem. im no tally but lately getting hip cramps. Spend a bit of time standing up to relieve. Selling my 14, just something i dont want to do. I cant find an answer. Have been doing exercises, it still comes back. Poor old hips been thru a bit in 64 yrs. Im guessing i need a bike with forward controls. Not an idea i like. Choice of bikes i dont like either. My mates Rocket is really good, footboards and fwd controls but its tyre wear is just stupid. As for the rest, nothing comes to mind. I also dont like BMW, the other Triumphs with fwd just look stupid. Harleys, id rather buy knitting needles, Jap. cruisers dont like. Maybe just put some footpegs on engine bars, will try that . Very difficult as to what to do.
Trouble is I am only 38!
My knees have plagued me since my teens, I used to play loads of rugby had to pack that in!
I totally feel your pain grog!

Kiwifruit

Hip cramps...... painful, and l'm only 60   :facepalm:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: grog on Wednesday, 08 July  2020, 08:53 PM
Sorry to hear that grog, im sure youll think of something.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

VladTepes

@BJ  12 bikes? Do tell!  A new thread in the members bikes forum would be awesome!

@Eric GSX1400K3  did you take that photo? It's a ripper.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk