News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

JIS vs Philips screwdrivers

Started by VladTepes, Thursday, 30 April 2020, 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VladTepes

A number of the screws on our 1400's (and most Japanese bikes) might LOOK like Phillips heads - but aren't.

Using a Phillips driver will not work well, and can possibly lead to the screw head being stripped.

These screws as actually JIS type (Japanese Industrial Standard) and using the correct screwdriver as opposed to the wrong one is like chalk and cheese.

Use the right tool - get the right result.  :onya:

The screws are usually (but not always) identified with a dot on the screw head, and the 'slots' may be shallower than what you are used to seeing on a Phillips.

Oh and notably JIS will happily drive phillips heads :)

This article goes into more detail with images etc.
https://revlimiter.net/blog/2014/09/the-japanese-phillips-jis-screwdrivers/

If anyone has any better references/links please let me know below, and I'll update this post.

Do you need a set of JIS drivers?
Well, it's an excuse to buy more tools so yes.

Certainly if you are working on a lot of jap bikes and/or machinery it'll pay dividends to invest in a set.
Consider also getting a few JIS impact drivers, if your existing impact driver set doesn't include any.

Alternatively if you only have a few screws to deal with and manage to get them out with a phillips, you could always replace them with a hex head or allen head type.  (those have their own problems of course, but that's a whole other discussion)

For those interested in a more detailed look at the evolution of different screw driver systems this is a very interesting read:
https://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/
see especially 7,8,10 when it comes to the topic at hand.

You'll see that the specific use case for which the phillips head was designed makes it less than ideal for other applications.

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

grog

Agree, JIS work better. I have a Sun Flag stubby, reversible bit. JIS one way, flat the other. Over 40 yrs old and still like new. Even has ratchet head. Done a lot of work so i recommend Sun Flag as excellent.

seth

My j.i.s. set
Only £10 from a bike show
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Notty

The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Jeykey

VladTepes, are there a lot of these screws on our 14´s ? Never bothered to take a good look at them. I always like to use the proper tools for the proper job. Tools are my daily activity, on planes (well, not for now :thumbs_down:). When guys don´t know anything about tools I normally say that using the inadequate tool is like eating soup with a fork. I googled a lot about JIS and came to the conclusion that our 14´s must´ve only a few. As I say, didn´t bother to look. We´ve already threaded about this (https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=3428.0). Back then I came across this https://www.webbikeworld.com/hozan-jis-screwdrivers-review/, and read the part "no more JIS screwdrivers". In my case I´ve always used Phillips, making sure they don´t cam out. One might eventually round the hole due to torque untightening. Just make sure it doesn´t cam out, if that´s the case there are several methods to avoid this. I´m gonna go down to the garage and take a good look at the 14, but then I might get her out and come back in a week. This confinement stuff...

gsxbarmy

Bought a Triumph instead - no need for JIS drivers then  :happy1:
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Hooli

I bought a proper Triumph, no need for metric either  :stir:

VladTepes

Jeykey - no not that many screws on teh 14, but a mention in a recent thread prompted me to write the post for the benefit of those who may not know about JIS.

Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 01 May  2020, 07:35 AM
I bought a proper Triumph

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Friday, 01 May  2020, 05:54 AM
Bought a Triumph

Need JIS screwdrivers? No.
But you will need a regular supply of drip pans and kitty litter.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Notty

Quote from: VladTepes on Friday, 01 May  2020, 09:19 AM
Jeykey - no not that many screws on teh 14, but a mention in a recent thread prompted me to write the post for the benefit of those who may not know about JIS.

Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 01 May  2020, 07:35 AM
I bought a proper Triumph

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Friday, 01 May  2020, 05:54 AM
Bought a Triumph

Need JIS screwdrivers? No.
But you will need a regular supply of drip pans and kitty litter.
and the breakdown guy will become a family friend  :rofl2:

gsxbarmy

Carry on jesting you lot, needing all these special tools for your pimped up rice rockets - all us rockers need is a good hammer and screwdriver to fix our proper motorcycles  :rofl2:

Notty

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Friday, 01 May  2020, 08:26 PM
Carry on jesting you lot, needing all these special tools for your pimped up rice rockets - all us rockers need is a good hammer and screwdriver to fix our proper motorcycles  :rofl2:
and a computerised diagnostic tool  :rofl2:

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Notty on Friday, 01 May  2020, 08:35 PM
Quote from: gsxbarmy on Friday, 01 May  2020, 08:26 PM
and a computerised diagnostic tool  :rofl2:

No - sharp intake of breath followed by ooohhh that doesn't look good.... :happy1:

Hooli

That jap crap will never catch on ya know.

Tally

You mean like indicators and electric start :rofl4: :laughsign:

Hooli

Quote from: Tally on Friday, 01 May  2020, 10:50 PM
You mean like indicators and electric start :rofl4: :laughsign:

Exactly!

No electric foot on mine & the indicators got thrown away long before I got it, they won't be going back on either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk