News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

JIS vs Philips screwdrivers

Started by VladTepes, Thursday, 30 April 2020, 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

I've been discussing this on another forum & someone has found several things to say that the new DIN standard screwdrivers fit JIS. Anyone tried?

Irish in Oz

I thought DIN was a standard i.e. quality/strength  :whatever:

Hooli

I think DIN is a standards organisation, so the standards can apply to anything.

Eric GSX1400K3

DIN = Deutsche Industrie Norm, or German Industry Standard

JIS = Japan Industry Norm.

Woyld need to check, but DIN is one of the most widely used standards for anything mechanical, and I would not be surprised if there's a DIN for "cross drive screws"

BS, AS and NZ standards are based on, or derivatives of, or sometimes the basis for other standards.

PHILLIPS heads or PH drivers are a "manufacturers" standard and not an industry standard, and are engineered to suit their own products, and in this case has made its way into everyday life.

TORX is another example, not an industry standard  but a manufacturers standard that has some popularity.

A lot are copied from each other, especially European standards, so this is why we EN (European Norm) and ISO (international standards organisation) designs too.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

VladTepes

Yeah it's like phillips designed their screws to be easy to strip the heads/torque to a unusable mess.

JIS is just like a firmly fitting flat blade driver BUT twice as effective as it can't slip.
It's just better-er.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

SA14

Quote from: VladTepes on Sunday, 22 November  2020, 08:54 PM
Yeah it's like phillips designed their screws to be easy to strip the heads/torque to a unusable mess.

JIS is just like a firmly fitting flat blade driver BUT twice as effective as it can't slip.
It's just better-er.

Vlad, you nailed it! That's exactly why they were designed that way. From that other thread I linked to above...

QuotePortland native Henry Phillips invented the Phillips screws/drivers in the 1930s for application in automobile assembly lines.

His Phillips screwdrivers were built with an angle on the flanks and rounded corners. This taper on the driving faces causes the screwdriver bit to "cam out" of the slot before twisting a screw head off, which was a requirement for automated assembly lines. But what made it do well in that environment makes it prone to stripping when used by hand. Unlike a machine, a person has no way to deliver the specific downward force required, and the chances of stripping the head go way up. On the other hand, JIS screwdrivers have virtually parallel faces on the driving flanges and will not cam out. As a result, they will break whatever corrosion was keeping the screw from turning (good), or even strip the thread with excessive torque (bad).

Eric GSX1400K3

That's way too cheap to be the real deal.  Great find if they're legit.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

VladTepes

aliexpress = treat with suspicion.
Wish = scam
temu = like wish but cheaper so yeah draw you own conclusion on that.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

KiwiCol

I must defend Temu here, I've brought lots off that site, never had a problem & fast delivery. I actually have stuff on the way now, I get updates whenever there's some new milestone.  They tell me where it's at in China, when it goes to customs, when it leaves customs, when it leaves the country, when it arrives in NZ etc etc.  They also have it pre-cleared customs in NZ as soon as it leaves China, so the shipment can be delivered on time, usually 9-10 days.  Happy enough with their service & prices.

Couple of hic-ups using Ali-express, but they've always sorted things in my favour, they do take an absolute age to get you your stuff though.

Wish, yeah think I used them a couple of times for stuff, but that was ages ago.  Don't use them now.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Snapey

If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

grog

Just buy a set of bits, $20, fit in 8mm socket or drill.

Tony Nitrous

I have two sets.  Both made by Vessel.
4 sizes in each.  I use them quite a bit, in JIS and Philips.
I keep meaning to get some 8mm bits. 

Tally

Mine I bought a while ago IMG_0128.JPGIMG_0116.JPG

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk