Author Topic: Tech Tip: internal fork holding tool k5 k6 k7  (Read 4635 times)

Offline spizzoil

• Just Cruisin'
  • all thats 1400
internal fork holding tool k5 k6 k7
« on: Monday, 04 June 2018, 01:30 am »
so finished this today even though most was done yesterday bit more filing and paint and done .so have looked at a few that had made some on here .so how to make one the easy way really are crap with all the techno stuff.so first thing was a washer and ended up using the locking washer off a angle grinder nice centre hole and fitted all the way down the fork station with a mil clearance all the way round .so using a black and decker work mate where all the holes are placed washer over the hole and have the internal cartridge up side down damper rod down and centre it on the washer then scribe the 4 flat points off the damper rod cup. then you need to make some locking plates the thickness of these plates will depend of how much of a lip their is on the outer part of your washer tack weld one plate then do the same on the opposite plate then check that it fits  then the third  then check then the fourth then weld fully up inner and outer I did my plates longer then some to allow for my crap welding its more like blob welding  then weld where I have missed so if I can do it most should be able just a lot of grinding and filing then weld your tube on did not go for the style of being able to fit over the damper rod nut as this just made harder and it only takes a few sec to take that off .also mad a attachment for me heat gun so I can heat up the fork bolt to get it out without stripping the thread out if you don't have rattle gun but would not use one myself and a tip how to undo that bolt if you don't have a holding tool . so when you have got fork out of the bike look at the top nut on your fork and the preload remember what ring its on and wind it down a ring or two turn the fork upside down in a vice or work bench  heat the fork bolt and it just cracks off why heat because if them forks have not been apart then the lock thread will be factory stuff and it going to be really heavy type and this could make you stripe the thread or round the bolt head and then you really would be in a world of shit as you can see my heat gun tool does not touch the fork leg as this is ally and don't wont any chance of deforming the fork leg .no tape measure or calippers were used just simple though of how to make .hope this has helped thoughs like me who are not that good at the techno stuff.
« Last Edit: Monday, 04 June 2018, 06:26 am by gsxbarmy »

Offline seth

• Forum Donor 2020
  • Needs to get out more
  • Near to Perth in Scotland
Re: internal fork holding tool k5 k6 k7
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 04 June 2018, 01:40 am »
Cracking job well done
 :onya:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore