News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

K2 and K5 onwards front forks

Started by T250, Saturday, 12 May 2018, 04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T250

I have a pair of both these models all stripped down at the moment, if anyone wants any pictures or measurements etc of the different types, (as I have seen queries about the differences), let me know  :onya:

seth

Take some pictures and post them up I'm sure admin can make it a top tip to show the differences.
I.e.
Stantion tubes (holes postions)
Cartridges
Lower plastic bumpstop
Spring lengths
And anything else you can see especially if you can do a side by side comparison.

:onya:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

ARH

All adds to the great info already on this forum! :onya:

T250

Okay will do, I am waiting for the K5 stantions to come back from Philpots, when I get them back I will lay the different models out side by side  :onya:

gsxbarmy

I think the actual caps are different also

Indeed a side by side comparison will be very helpful.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

T250

Okay here is a side by side, the K2 is on the left, obvious difference is the metal spacer, the cartridge, the bottom plastic insert, the springs for K2 are slightly shorter and a different shape, the rebound adjuster on the K5 can be unscrewed from the slider, the top unit on the K2 can just be unscrewed from each other, on the K5 onwards there is a retaining clip.

Obviously I have not shown the seals, dust seals or spring clip as mine were all shot  :cry2: but you can see where these locate in the parts manual  :onya:

Hope this helps, when I get the stantions back, I'll update with a picture showing their differences

shanered6

Thats quite a diferance in the two it shows suzuki were trying hard to improve the front end of the 14 in its last years of production .... thanks for the pics  :onya:
i intend to live for ever or die trying !!

Gsx 1400 k6 , Thunderace 1000 , Guzzi stelvio 1200 ntx

gsxbarmy

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

T250

Quote from: shanered6 on Saturday, 12 May  2018, 06:42 PM
Thats quite a diferance in the two it shows suzuki were trying hard to improve the front end of the 14 in its last years of production .... thanks for the pics  :onya:

Yes...now do I fit the later ones to my K2 or try to keep it is as close to original... :laugh: would I really notice any difference on the road?

seth

As long as you fit 2x k2 or 2xk5 forks you'll be ok . :onya:

I think the later ones share more parts with other suzuki's tho I've not checked part numbers yet  :doh:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Latty66

There is quite a difference i didnt realise there would be i striped and refurbed  the k5 i had they were like the right hand ones i.v got the k2 ones in the shed that i was gonna rekon this winter and would have been suprised . Once again a gold mine of info on here

Changa

This is a great post - thanks.
I'm just about to replace the seals on my 2001 1400. I keep reading about the tool that's needed to undo some nut/screw....something. Is it the kind of thing I'll realise whilst pulling it all apart ?
I've seen a few home made tools for sliding into the tube....I'm assuming something has to be held, while something else is undone. Would love to see any other disassembly pics you have.....like whilst you're pulling it down. If not, no worries.

Peter
2001 GSX 1400

T250

If you download the parts manual and go to page 72, you will see item No5 (bolt) that screws up from the bottom of the slider into the cartridge - item No14. Mine came apart with just a smart tap on the bolt, but when you come to reassemble, that is where the tool you have seen mentioned comes in, as you have to get the bolt screwed back into the cartridge, and you need to stop the cartridge from turning.

Hope this helps.

Changa

That helps heaps....thanks very much.
Almost didn't attempt this because I had no idea what the tool or the reason for having it was.
About to go outside no and start pulling it all down.

Many thanks.
2001 GSX 1400

Changa

Here's some pics in case anyone is interested.
First is that internal rod everyone says you need to "fork tool" for. The bolt on the end is what unscrews.
I haven't made the tool yet, but have bought the piupe to do so. I undid the bolt by buying a socket and using it with my air gun. Came out easy.
The bolt actually requires an allen key with socket for those that don't realise. You can make your own - it's just a 10 key and socket. Mine was $10 at the local hardware.

This second pic shows simply the bolt and the tool I bought to remove it, using a rattle gun.

Third pic shows what I assume is the thing you need to "fork tool" for. I've bought a length of pipe and intend cutting it to fit, as people have previously stated. Looks like this just needs to be held in place in the tube while the bolt is tightened.

2001 GSX 1400

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk