News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Rear Shock Fix

Started by seth, Tuesday, 31 January 2017, 07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seth

Yes it was lost
The adjusting rings were from China cheap enough .
Just getting the machining done cheap enough I think I can come up with the sizes with a bit of research.
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

mlivkovich

I ordered preload nuts (m50x1.5) and my plan is to machine collars to make trouble-free preload adjusters. If this works, I will post here exact measurements and pics!  :cheers:

seth

@mlivkovich do you not fancy making a few sets ?
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

mlivkovich

Quote from: seth on Wednesday, 05 February  2020, 05:15 AM
@mlivkovich do you not fancy making a few sets ?

I will first try to make useable adjusters and try it on my bike. I weight too much (130kg) and I need more preload or stiffer springs. First I'll try cheaper solution and fabricate adjusters. If this works, the easiest part is to make couple of them, it's pretty simple... collar and nut(s), simple isn't it? And it can't be expensive! :cheers:

VladTepes

I paid $$ to have a place rebuild my shocks a couple of years ago, and one is leaking again.  :furious:
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

KiwiCol

I think I remember that being done too.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Andre

Quote from: VladTepes on Wednesday, 05 February  2020, 05:57 PM
I paid $$ to have a place rebuild my shocks a couple of years ago, and one is leaking again.  :furious:

Mine too. I wouldn't blame the guy who repaired it though. The preload adjuster leak is a matter of bad design. I have Model 2 (with the white ring). After noticing that it leaks again, I probed with a tooth pick a little and there was a lot of dirt in there. Wouldn't have noticed the leak if I didn't play with preload to see if it was still tight. Shows that without much pressure in the system the dirt did its evil job. Guy in German forum who has repaired many adjusters says that there is no guaranty that they will not leak again. His best advice is to keep it clean. The amount of dirt in mine surprised me as I only ride in dry weather.

Overall I am happy with the rebuild. Shocks still work great. Internally setup for me was well done. Preload adjuster is set to zero so I am not affected by the leak since I only ride solo without luggage. Gaining another 10kg I would need the preload adjuster though :facepalm:

Shocks are still good for the coming season. Next winter I'll get new ones. Originals will be kept as a backup as the new shocks will go in for rebuilds regularly (by the manufacturer - Wilbers).

VladTepes

Why would the new ones need to go in for regular rebuilds?
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

mlivkovich

Quote from: VladTepes on Wednesday, 05 February  2020, 05:57 PM
I've done this by myself two times in two years, put new seals and polished adjuster parts (area where seals sit) to prevent leaking and it still leaks after few tkms. Preload always set on max and dust just make them leak.

Andre

Quote from: VladTepes on Thursday, 06 February  2020, 10:05 AM
Why would the new ones need to go in for regular rebuilds?

I could have said service instead of rebuild. Since parts get changed by service and it can turn out to be a bit more, I called it a rebuild.

Shocks are mechanical devices and have to go through a lot of work (some more than others). How often oil, nitrogen, piston seal, rubber buffer, and seal block (done with service) should be changed depends on usage. I have mine done at around 20000 km. The fork I do myself at 10 - 12k (oil, seals, more if needed).

Eric GSX1400K3

:notworthy:so completed the rebuild on Sat. Left both on max preload for a few hours to check for leaks, none observed. Was able  to go through full range of preload, adjusted oil level to go just past no.5 ring.  Up and down a few times, then refitted to the shock assy.  I also compressed the cylinder rod a few times on each of the compression settings, no leaks from the cylinder seal, and you can feel the difference each of the  4 clicks of the compression damping has,or i could, it seemed to take a bit more effort and time to fully compress.  Refitted to the bike, checked allsettings were the same borh sides, put it on 2.5 rings preload, 2 for rebound and compression respectively, then went for a ride.  No leaks and i was able to feel the suspendion working a bit more, i suspect with all the dirt in the preload adjuster, that it was not the same left to right.  Will try to go a bit higher on preload and see what that does.  Good result all round  another job done.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk