News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Remove, Regrease and Refit your Swing Arm

Started by gsxbarmy, Thursday, 21 September 2017, 07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxbarmy

Removal, Re-Greasing and Re-Fitting your SwingArm

This procedure assumes you have a main stand or some other form of support for your 14 on whilst removing the swing arm (as the rear wheel and suspension assembly needs removal  / part removal, so paddock stands, ABBA stands will not be any use)

- Remove the swing arm frame covers
- Remove rear wheel
- Remove chainguard
- Optionally remove torque arm
- Undo bottom bolt of both rear suspension units (but leave bolts in though for the moment)
- Undo the swing arm bolt and nut (7 and 8 in diagram) and slide it out of the frame whilst supporting the front of the swing arm
- Once the bolt is removed, slide the 2 rear suspension bolts out and slide the swing arm out (you'll have to navigate the swing arm through the chain)

Swing Arm is now removed

- Take off Swing Arm end caps (#6) (they slide off, the chain side cover will be in the chain buffer (#12))
- Clean out the old grease, and re-pack both sides with fresh bearing grease
- Refit Swing Arm End caps (#6)

Assembly is the reverse of removal

- Slide swing arm through chain then slide the 2 rear suspension bolts in place to hold the rear of the swing arm
- Offer up the front of swing arm and insert bolt (you may need a rubber mallet to assist LOL) and screw nut on
- Torque up the swing arm to 120Nm
- Fit rear lower suspension bolts nuts and torque up. Fit rear wheel, torque arm (if removed) and chain guard
- Refit frame caps

Any torque settings needed can be found here http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=223.0

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Speedy1959

Brilliant information.
thanks very much...
Wont fit a grease nipple.

One related point is that when I re greased the linkages on an FJR1300 I used "Evenrude Trpleguard Marine Grease"..
Its unaffected by water and salt water.

That wasnt my own idea but an idea on the American forum.

The grease is VERY high qualty and cannot be affected / diluted by water..

For those of you in warmer climes than the UK, we have salt on our roads in icy weather !

froudy

Abba stand no good for removing the swing arm as it fixes to the swing arm pivot bolt which you are removing :grin:
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

KiwiCol

I've got some of that Speedy, for the outboard.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

Trolley jack under the centre stand mounts works if you don't have a centre stand.

gsxbarmy

Quote from: froudy on Friday, 22 September  2017, 04:05 AM
Abba stand no good for removing the swing arm as it fixes to the swing arm pivot bolt which you are removing :grin:

You know, when I wrote that I thought there was summat wrong....cheers Steve (I've amended my original post)

Dusty ST

There's always the swing arm removal kit for the Abbastand, so the lift is from the footpegs rather than SA pivot.

http://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?pid=21

'02 GSX1400 K2
'08 1050 Sprint ST (RIP :( )
'17 1050 Tiger Sport

BlueDragon

:) :)

Gotta love the wealth of information on this forum. 

Even though I was a mechanic in my brother's motorcycle shop for a few years, you can't beat information like this on a forum.  Its like prior information before I start the job - so no surprises..

Did this today - another job crossed off the list as part of my "Bike Rescue"   :lol: :lol:

Now to attack the front end..

froudy

I did mine last week and there is conflicting info on which side of the frame Item 9..Cap,pivot goes on.

The Suzuki manual states RHS as you sit on the bike and the parts diagram that @gsxbarmy  posted shows it on the LHS, as do all the other parts diagrams that I've checked.

Mine has always been on the RHS, so I kept it that way.

gsxbarmy

Quote from: froudy on Sunday, 05 May  2019, 01:15 AM
I did mine last week and there is conflicting info on which side of the frame Item 9..Cap,pivot goes on.

The Suzuki manual states RHS as you sit on the bike and the parts diagram that @gsxbarmy  posted shows it on the LHS, as do all the other parts diagrams that I've checked.

Mine has always been on the RHS, so I kept it that way.

When I had my K7, and had my swingarm out Steve, mine was on the left as per the parts diagram - to be honest I'm not sure that it really matters.

froudy

I guessed it wouldn't really matter which side it went to be honest. I've had the swing arm out three times since I've owned the bike, so maybe I moved it from left to right the first time I did the job...I can't remember..It's on the right as per the Suzuki manual now, and it can stay there :imrgreen:

Irish in Oz

I would put it on the nut side as normally one would lock up the bolt and turn the nut, the pivot will stop the torque damaging the dust cap or marking swinging arm buffer.

BJ

Just removed my swing arm and need some advice re parts. Just want to clarify re the Cap Pivot.
On my bike this seems to be on the inside of the frame, right hand side. See photo. Is this correct?

mlivkovich

I removed, cleaned and regreased my swingarm 2 months ago and that cap was on the right hand side too. :cheers:

mlivkovich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk