News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Suitable Engine Oils

Started by VladTepes, Monday, 23 January 2017, 10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VladTepes

For many years the  prevailing wisdom was that a semi-synthetic was the way to go. Many owners have since reported using fully synthetic oils with NO issues regarding clutch-slip.

These are oils which have been used, to the owner's satisfaction, in the GSX1400.
Your choice will come down to personal preference and price.

Mineral Oil
Shell Advance AX5  10W-40
(described as a 'premium' mineral oil, this may be semi-synthetic).

Semi-synthetic
Valvoline Durablend 10W-40
Fuchs Silkolene Comp 4  10W-40
Penrite HPR GAS 10  10W-50
Gulf Western SYN-X 3000 10W-40
Halfords 10w-40 4 Stroke Part Motorcycle  Part Synthetic Engine Oil

Fully Synthetic
n.b. If using a fully synthetic oil not listed below as tested in the GSX1400, it would be prudent to check the oil is recommended for use in wet-clutch motorcycles.

Penrite Full Synthetic 10W-40
Motul 7100 Synthetic Oil 4T  10W-40
Castrol Power RS Racing 4T  10W-40

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

seth

mineral oil
i wouldn't put in anything modern
a friend of mine used it in his zrx kawasaki and at 40000 mile all the cam lobes were worn away .
he got it free from his work but ended up costing his £2500 to fix it all.

said in other places i use halfords 10w/40
52000 miles on the bike only been in to check valves and it all looks like new.
so I'll just stick with it.
seth
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

ogrimark

I am with Seth on this one. apart from First couple of times where it was 'profesionally' serviced, I have only ever used Halfords own and never any issues. 67000miles on blue and engine still sounds sweet.

coldhands

Hey seth do Halfords still do deals on bike oil !!!!
Remember every car driver wants to knock you off !!!!

seth

every now and then
i also just ask them to match when the car oil deals are on too.

if i see it I'll post on here

Sethbot Postwhore

T 24

Most mineral base diesel engine oils will work OK in old Suzuki engines.
I used them allmost 200 000km in my old Suzuki GS 1000G with no problems and now I have used them in my 14 over 40 000km.
I have noticed that diesel oils are more "washing" and they will keep engine cleaner than "real"mc oils. Clutch Will allso work fine.
I have changed oils and filters after every 5000km.
Oils ihave used are: Teboil SHPD 15W40  and  Mobil Delvac MX 15W40

seth

i wouldn't use a mineral oil in a gsx1400 engine
it's designed to use semi synthetic oil

not the same bike but a friend of mine used mineral oil in a zrx1100 kawazaki and wore his camshafts away costing him just over £2000 to get it all repaired .

I'm also kot sure moneral oil will protect the coatings on the barrels in a 14 either .

Sethbot Postwhore

T 24

Do not just look is the motor oil mineral, semi synthetic or synthetic. It doesnt mean "anything".
Look allso what additives oil has and how much.
Zinc is one of oldest additives against wearing, but modern oils, ment to catalysator engines cant have it enough.
My opinion is that you should have at minimum 1000ppm zink in your oil.
Both of oils I mentioned have zink around 1300ppm, and I had no wearing in my camshafts during 200 000km.
Study allso API and JASO service grades.

seth

my gs1000/1100 did over 100000 miles and like yours the head was like new inside
but i don't think modern moters are made with such good quality materials as i think they now build in a limited lifespan on parts
i did one try full synthetic oil in my old gs but it used it in about 500miles never tried it again

my 14 is in great condition inside with little or no signs of wear so I'll keep doing my
4-5000 oil changes with halfords semi synthetic oil and changing the filter then too .

:cheers:

Sethbot Postwhore

coldhands

Just a heads up!!Buster's on Ebay doing Silkoline Super 4. 5 Litre +filter £32.99 and thats'  free postage,the same deal for Comp 4 at £34.99 free postage.  :onya:

coldhands

oops will now put this in the Recommended suppliers bit :embarrassed:

Jeykey

Any opinion on Silkolene Pro 4 10W40 (100% sythethic) ?

seth

there has been loads of discussion on oils over the years
the engine was designed to use semi synthetic oil
but its up to you what you use if using fully synthetic oil i think there's a tend to use a bit of oil between oil changes and it costs alot more than semi synthetic oil.

for info in the uk as it don't say where your from
I've used halfords semi synthetic oil (£20-25ish /5ltrs of 10w40) and in over 200000 miles between 5 different gsx1400 with no problems at all changing every 4000 miles also use genuine suzuki oil filters.

Sethbot Postwhore

KoZi

Quote from: jeyey on Sunday, 04 June  2017, 01:30 AM
Any opinion on Silkolene Pro 4 10W40 (100% sythethic) ?

In this year I have Silkolene Comp 4 10w40. In my opinion verry good oil. I have comparison with Ipone 10w40 and Motul 5100 Ester 10w40.
Temp of engine in different conditions are verry similar.
On cold, engine sounds best on Silkolene. Also gearbox is working best on Silkolene. Smooth and lightest gear on. In visior of check oil level Silkolene is long time transparent. Longer that Motul And Ipone. This is my personal opinion  ;) Bad things ? Silkolene is little more expensive than others.

Bartosz

I use Valvoline Synpower 4T 10W40 oil, It works perfect in my gsx 1400.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk