News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Rim tape - yes or no?

Started by Basil Brush, Wednesday, 12 April 2017, 11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basil Brush

Toying with the idea of applying some rim-tape.

I did have a 'phobia' before of the stuff. I'm mellowing in age I suppose.  :smitten:

What thickness/size is best?

Easy to apply?

Wheels on or off bike?

Some have an 'applicator' any use?

I already have a small logo on all four rims. The usual eBay sticker. So, it would adjoin this transfer. Hence there would be no overlap join. Would this be a problem to cause early peeling?

Goes without saying rim must be clean. Do you lacquer them on?

Any help/suggestions. Positive or negative. As regards the stuff would be very much appreciated.

TIA - BB.

He who laugh's last - laugh's last...

Red Biker

Hi Basil,
I've not done mine as they were already on but do have some experience with self adhesive vinyl, your enemies are dust, moisture, air and cold.
I'd get a hair dryer on the wheels after cleaning them to help. Re any overlapping, this will be ok as long as the seal is good at the end.
Personally I'd keep wheels on the bike but raised on a stand as rotating them will facilitate the application  :onya:

Red
Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

grog

mate, had blue rim tape on black wheels for years. got a bit daggy, ripped it off. thought id just replace. i now prefer it without it. 4 piece is easiest to apply. personally id just pay someone, they dont charge much around here, guaranteed job that way.

Celtic32

I've just put some on mine (wheel off). Its none continuous, so that probably made it easier to apply. I just gave it all a really good clean before hand then used some soapy water to help apply them as it allows the positioning to be adjusted before the glue takes. When I was looking at different options I noticed that they have rim tape applier things for full rim strips that look like they make short work of it.

T 24

Hi BB. You asked yes or no, so tha answer is NO!

gsxbarmy

I think its a personal choice Brian, to be honest its not that expensive, so if you apply it and don't like it take it off. Personally I always applied mine with the wheels off, putting the wheel flat on the workmate to apply - made it much easier! If you get the 4 section per wheel tape, that's the easiest to apply, overlapping it about 5-10mm at each "break". Handy also if you have a scalpel handy, as if you do need to lift it, this is easy to get under. Just don't press it down fully before you are happy with how it lies. But it follows the line of the wheel pretty well usually

Also why limit yourself to one colour - I used 2 colours on mine, 10mm blue first then overlayed with 8mm crimson
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

froudy

I've got these on mine..Quite like them tbh.

Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

Basil Brush

Well - I've gone and ordered some. Some R&G four section decals. You can either put 2/3/4 on each rim. As already mentioned, if it looks shite. It's only a tenner wasted.

Froudy - I already have these fitted too... :smitten:

Dave - trust you...!!!! I always wondered what you applied. I always thought it was a blue and crimson combo tape... :notworthy:
He who laugh's last - laugh's last...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk