Author Topic: Monoblock  (Read 398 times)

Offline Masterbates

Re: Monoblock
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, 15 May 2019, 06:50 pm »
Any knowledge from more experienced folk is always welcome.   Rebuilding my calipers and adding braided lines is a cost I have already committed to, so it is all about seeing how much that next step might  set me back.

Offline Masterbates

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, 16 May 2019, 01:39 pm »
Quick update, just received a messaged from the eBay seller (Trc0928) for the brackets in Del's photo. They will be in stock in about 3-4 weeks from the seller in the link I posted. @grog These work out about half the cost of the Agras brakets from Webike landed in Australia.
I'll try and get some details about caliper compatibility, but I don't see why you couldn't use any Japanese caliper from a 320mm disc bike, but I doubt I have all the facts

Edit:
I just received the following I  regards to caliper compatibility:
"You can choose Z1000/14R/GTR/ZX6R Nissin(not tokico),03~04 GSXR1000 Tokico/03~05 GSXR600/750 tokico,All honda tokico/brembo & Brembo M4/GP4-RS/484/HPK/GP4-RX.
These calipers fit my brackets without spacers.The other calipers which list on my description will fit over standard GSX1400 320mm."

This means you can use late model CBR calipers which are Tokico Monobloc and pretty reviewed.  Same for the late model ZX6r.  That bracket and those caliper options have got to shave a possible $300 off your figured @grog 
« Last Edit: Thursday, 16 May 2019, 01:53 pm by Masterbates »

Offline GSXKING

• Tarmac Tearer
  • GSX1400 the best bike ever
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, 18 May 2019, 10:47 am »
With all that added stopping power I think your front wheel will be getting pushed by the weight of the bike/rider and you're going to see an increase in front tyre wear. Just my two cents worth.

I added sintered pads and braided lines and thought that def improved the braking.  :onya:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris

Offline Masterbates

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, 19 May 2019, 09:45 pm »
You may be right @GSXKING and even I was thinking something similar, of course there are bigger and heavier bikes then the GSX1400 with Brembo Monoblocs out there.  The new Rocket III TFC is coming in at a guess of 320kg, not to mention the 170hp and 221nm of torque, even the GSX1300R Gen 1 seems to benefit from more stopping power despite it's weight.
I'd be interested to hear from someone that has done the conversion to see if they felt it was worth the effort, heaven knows I have enough things to blow money on without adding more to the list  :whistling:

Offline Andre

• Forum Donor 2018
  • Torque Master
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, 19 May 2019, 10:54 pm »
With all that added stopping power I think your front wheel will be getting pushed by the weight of the bike/rider and you're going to see an increase in front tyre wear. Just my two cents worth.

I added sintered pads and braided lines and thought that def improved the braking.  :onya:

Yep, braking harder will work your tire harder. But having more available brake power doesn't mean you have to brake harder :grin:

Interesting opinion piece on monobloc vs. 2-piece calipers: https://www.brakes-shop.com/brakepedia/calipers/mono-block-vs-2-piece-calipers

For those who don't care to read the entire article, here the last paragraphs of it:

So what does it all mean???? Caliper performance characteristics depend on material strength and a combination of design and material stiffness. The monobloc caliper architecture designed to be made from a very strong and very stiff material will not deliver the same level of performance when made from more common production materials.

It means that aftermarket monoblocs have significantly less strength and stiffness than the current Formula One units – let alone the unobtanium ones of days gone by. It means, if you want to spend a lot more money for a good monobloc racing caliper, if it happens to be available with piston areas that suit your car, you can have a trick monobloc caliper that will almost certainly flex more than an optimum two piece unit and is a few ounces lighter. It also means, if you are able to use a monobloc caliper designed for a production application made either by squeeze or semi-solid forging, cost might be comparable but any claim of them being intrinsically better than a well designed two piece caliper with bolts is simply not true. It is pure marketing hype when a commercially available monbloc caliper, where the manufacturing strategy was aimed at reducing costs to produce a fixed multi piston design, is represented as better than every other design in the aftermarket.

To further make the point, if there were no qualifiers like cost or some sanctioning body rule, the optimum caliper arrangement arguably would be a monobloc design but with steel bridge bolts installed and a re-enforced window. Me? I'd rather use the best designed two piece units, made from squeeze or semi-solid forgings correctly sized for my application, have the firmest brake pedal that I can get and spend the extra money on something to make my car handle better – like shocks.

Offline Masterbates

« Reply #20 on: Monday, 20 May 2019, 04:42 pm »
That's a really good read @Andre, and it might even prevent me from spending loads of money :P

Offline grog

• Forum Donor 2018
  • Torque Master
  • yesterday was good, tomorrow will be awesome
« Reply #21 on: Monday, 20 May 2019, 07:16 pm »
Yeah Andre, a great read. All i know is that i wish 14 could stop like Diavel does. It must certainly load up front tyre more but stopping on Diavel doesnt really give that feel. It just pulls up. Rear brakes are similar, do whats needed around town. Both bikes dont dive at all front braking, 14 front has been played with. Those front Brembos on Ducati are just something else, Ive no idea how they compare to other bikes but anything better must be amazing. 

Offline GSXKING

• Tarmac Tearer
  • GSX1400 the best bike ever
« Reply #22 on: Monday, 20 May 2019, 08:16 pm »
I rode last years BMW S100RR at Phillip Island in Feb and the braking was incredible. ABS in Race mode and equally traction control. All these things make it a more controlled experience going very fast on a track.

I still like my GSX with no gizmos and it's down to feel on both braking and accelerating or "old school".
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris