News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Rusted collector box - repair or replace?

Started by vonny232, Monday, 11 February 2019, 10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vonny232

Hi,

I was doing some winter maintenance on my 2004 GSX1400 and I noticed the two middle jubilee clips which connect the aftermarket downpipes to the collector box had rusted through and were no longer gripping the pipe (though it seemed quite sturdy anyway).

After further examination, at least one of the "tabs" which grips the downpipe has completed rusted away.

Is it possible to patch the collector box by welding new "tabs" onto the box, or is it better to just buy a new box?

You can buy newly fabricated or 2nd hand collector boxes off ebay, around £150 in each case. I dont want to spend the money unless I have to.

See attached pics. The 2nd one is just to indicate the area of damage.

seth

In UK weather sooner or later this will happen.
The clamps on ours were the same rusted through even though the exhaust wasn't leaking or blowing I fitted replacements for the M.O.T.'s.
The clamps only have a very small weld on top of the exhaust to hold it in place .If you rock the clamp up and down and forward and back once it's lifted away from the collected box pipes. it will snap off leaving  a clean pipe for replacement clamps I used the ones I've added here from Amazon and are stainless but any from other suppliers will work well.
If your exhaust is blowing put a little exhaust paste under the clamp.

That's how I fixed 2 of the clamps on our bikes exhausts I only need to replace the middle 2 clamps on both bikes.
Good luck
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Basil Brush

I fitted a Delkevic 4:2 collector. Stainless steel. All clamps/gaskets you need. Brand spanking new. £149.
He who laugh's last - laugh's last...

Notty

Can you buy a 4 into 1 collector apart from official Suzuki part ?  :)
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

seth

Sethbot Postwhore

seth

Sethbot Postwhore

froudy

I replaced all four clamps on mine about three years ago using items similar to the ones Seth used..Been fine ever since :onya:

Pack of 4 for £9.74 with free delivery...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Mikalor-Stainless-Steel-Coolant-Exhaust-Clamps-Clips-Supra-43mm-47mm/372145226516?hash=item56a5958314:g:8Y8AAOSw43haFmr-:rk:19:pf:0
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

vonny232

Cheers folks, thing is its not just the clamp thats gone, at least one of the metal "tabs" on the collector (which the clamp grips) has rusted away, meaning just 3 tabs on one of the pipes. Is it Ok like that?

seth

I'd put some exhaust paste on it and some new clamps as long as the rest of the exhaust is in good enough condition.
If you take it all apart your going to need new gaskets and probably a replacement collector box or at least some welding repairs .
Good luck
:cheers:

Sethbot Postwhore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk