News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

24 litre tank mod

Started by grog, Thursday, 14 June 2018, 07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gegs

Excellent mod... That was the ONLY frustrating thing about my bike, the amount of time spent at the fuel station trying to get as much in as possible [wish it was that way with the missus  :whistling:
]

Kiwifruit

It is a great mod because you know there is more room in the tank, it just takes so long to fill it. Have to say l was a little more brutal than l should have been. Didn't know about enlarging the breather hole. I just smacked a new one in......ooops !!
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Andre

Quote from: Gegs on Wednesday, 05 December  2018, 02:22 PM
Excellent mod... That was the ONLY frustrating thing about my bike, the amount of time spent at the fuel station trying to get as much in as possible [wish it was that way with the missus  :whistling:
]

I haven't done the mod. I enjoy the time at the station - but then I am retired :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

KiwiCol

Go on Andre, get out there with a big hammer & phillips screwdriver & bash the shit out of the tank  :stir: - you'll feel better for it . . . :whistling: :happy1:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Andre

Those days are past since I broke my leg kicking the shit out of my car :doh:

KiwiCol

Quote from: Andre on Thursday, 06 December  2018, 02:24 AM
Those days are past since I broke my leg kicking the shit out of my car :doh:
:happy1: :rofl2:  Awesome!!   You must of done a 'Basil' on it!!  (Faulty Towers - John Cleese)   To break your leg, ya must of been giving it heaps!  Well done that man!
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Shifty

Old thread, but wondering how guys feel about this mod.

It's slow going toward the end but I regularly get a full 22 litres in if the second light has been on for a little, and get 360++ km to every tank. Have gotten over 400 a couple of times and a shade over 430km once on a straight highway run, but was running on fumes. I tend to do a lot of highway riding, and when I go in the hills I tend to maintain speed rather than accelerate and brake heavily.

My economy seems miles better than a lot of people, maybe it's just that I use the full 22lt every time.

I'll give this mod a look next time I have a few minutes to spare.

Speedy1959

Hi Shifty,

It was I who originally put this mod on the forum..
The main advantage with the mod is that you can brim the tank MUCH faster..
With a standard tank you have to dribble the last 2 litres in because of the tiny pin hole breather thats at the most 1mm dia!

With a standard tank you can brim it but its a PIA as you wait for the level to drop then refill / repeat..

Because brimming a standard tank is such a pain, most riders dont brim it but stop just after the fuel reaches the level plate thats set about 1.5 inches down into the tank... This is where the tanks capacity is "officially" taken as its supposed to allow for fuel expansion on hot days..
So the "added capacity" comes from the fact that after the mod, the extra is much more readily available..

I only Brim mine if I am literally going out on a ride there and then!

Fuel consumption:
I too tend to get better fuel consumption than most guys do on here..
I regularly get 52 - 55mpg.
A couple of weeks ago I did a long 293 mile ride on my own and at my own pace and got 59.5mpg !!

Its a painless mod that no one but you will know about..
It doesn't scar or "disfigure" your bike

Go on....
Be Brave..
Take a risk..

:)

Tony Nitrous

As I posted before....

381K's / 236 miles is the best I have ever seen from my 14 and it still had a little left.

My only gripe is that I can't do the same to the stupid B-King.

If I ever have another 14 I would be my day-1 mod.

Speedy1959

Thanks for your endorsement Tony, Much appreciated..

grog

My bike constantly averages 50 mpg, tank mod highly recod by me also. On a not too fast run can now get 440 ks. 270 miles. Great , cheap, easy mod. Your a winner Speedy.

Speedy1959

Thank you Mr Grog.
I generally like your posts a lot.
(Creep creep grovel).
:worshippy:

grog

Nothing special Speedy, just giving praise for a great mod. If everything was that easy , to make a difference i mean, life would be easy. Just thinking, for newbies as well as me, the first 3 mods you would make if you bought a stock 14. Maybe i should post this in different area. Thoughts gentlemen, a new heading ?

Andre

Simonic

I did this several months ago. Feeling the benefits.
A really simply and useful mod
'04 GSX14,'81 Z1000ST,'71 Dodge Charger Superbee

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk