News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Formula E

Started by VladTepes, Monday, 14 January 2019, 12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VladTepes

The future is here!

I watched a Formula E race on the TV yesterday (was held in mid-December). First time I'd seen a full race. Aside from the obvious lack of engine noise (replaced by an odd whine) the racing was of a high standard. Felipe Massa is a driver there and he and others are not exactly slouches!

What's that you say? Those cars couldn't be entertaining.
False.

The race was held in Saudi Arabia (of all places! One of the most oil rich countries on earth).
https://www.ad-diriyah-eprix.com/en/ Conditions were challenging with rain interfering with qualifying, and sand blown onto the track on race day offering some traction challenges!

There was also a good line up of women drivers in this, and other events during the motorsport festival week.
It also featured Saudi Arabia's first unsegregated rock concert featuring international artists!

This series is well worth watching.
https://www.fiaformulae.com/
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

VladTepes

I just wish they'd get their stuff together and have an e-bike series as well. Just need to sort out some swappable battery packs for the bike and it'd be a winner !

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Kiwifruit

They look impressive. :onya:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

KiwiCol

Just happens I watched Formula E yesterday on tele for a bit as well.  (Dozed off a couple of times)  The cars all look identical, like someone makes the shell & lets the teams fit it out?

They didn't look that fast, but that could be just the lack of engine noise making it appear so.  Anyone know the spec's on these? How fast etc  How long the battery lasts?
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

5 races in moto gp calendar next year, ill reserve my thoughts until i watch a race.

Milts

I've tried watching some Formula E, i love motor racing.... bikes/ cars,  but Formula E just doesn't do it for me .

The circuits seem too narrow for the number of cars racing, lack of engine noise.... etc etc .

Maybe some day..... but for now  :thumbs_down: 

seth

only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

MarkN

I've watched a few of these races and the class they do on the TT as well - doesn't do it for me either, but I wonder if it's just the lack of noise. After all, for years, all our lives really, racing has had the noise factor which does attack the senses and associates it with speed/acceleration etc. Perhaps if they could introduce false exhaust notes, like they do for some cars, it would seem more exciting. The whine just seems bland to me  :whatever:

VladTepes

Quote from: grog on Monday, 14 January  2019, 07:03 PM
5 races in moto gp calendar next year, ill reserve my thoughts until i watch a race.

What's motoGP got to do with it?

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Beaker

Quote from: VladTepes on Tuesday, 15 January  2019, 09:48 AM

MotoE World Cup

VladTepes

Quote from: KiwiCol on Monday, 14 January  2019, 03:05 PM
They didn't look that fast, but that could be just the lack of engine noise making it appear so.  Anyone know the spec's on these? How fast etc  How long the battery lasts?

The new (Gen 2) cars:

- can complete a whole race (45 minutes + 1 lap).
- 250kW of power (335 bhp)
- accelerate from 0-100km/h in 2.8-seconds
- top speed of 280km/h (174mph).
- Minimum weight (inc. driver) 900kg 
- Noise: Shitty

full specs (scroll down) here: https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/discover/cars-and-technology

Comparison with F1

(These figures gleaned from various articles and apply to cars between 2016-2018 model years, so may not be entirely accurate for NOW but certainly adequate for comparison purposes)

An F1 car can accelerate quickly to 300kph, and generally has max speeds around 330kph.
0-100 2.4s
0-200 4.4s
0-300 8.4s 
Can generally do 0-100kph-0 in around 5.4 seconds.

The official speed record is Juan Montoya's speed of 372.6 kph (231.5 mph) though that was set up specifically for a straight line speed run;, not race conditions where speed must be balanced with cornering capability.

Power output: 850 + 160 hp (634 + 119 kW) @ 18000 rpm
Torque: Approx. 400–500 Nm (295–369 ft⋅lb)
Minimum weight: 728kg including driver (excluding fuel)
Noise: Awesome.

In summary, F1 cars accelerate quicker and are faster, but not by as much as people assume, despite the F1 cars MASSIVE horsepower advantage and lighter weight.

Why is it so?
Who knows. Science Or perhaps magic.

Quote from: Beaker on Tuesday, 15 January  2019, 10:10 AM
Quote from: VladTepes on Tuesday, 15 January  2019, 09:48 AM

MotoE World Cup

Ah, cheers.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

seth

Apart from the moto E bikes
not going or sounding like "proper"motorbikes it has some top rides in it most have done well in moto gp and web.
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk