News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

New Member from East Yorkshire

Started by paulr5604, Tuesday, 16 April 2019, 10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr5604

Thanks again everyone. I made a start at the weekend by taking off the headlight fairing, headlight and headlight brackets I have wet sanded all the cracked paint off of the headlight fairing (not sure I will put this back on yet). I have also wet sanded on of the headlight brackets working my way up from 400 to 1500 grit. I need to do the same with the other one and then polish them up. My plan is to clean things up as I remove them.

My first question, I believe the downpipes are the originals and I'm wondering about the best way to clean them up I was thinking about wet sanding and then polishing. Is this the best way or does anyone know of a better way.

Here is a picture of it from a couple of years ago in my old garage (My new garage is much tidier than this)

seth

To clean the worst of the crud off the downpipes use harpic black x10 cleaner (don't get this on any painted area's) put it on with a hard brush leave 5-10mins then wash off well.
Then polish with metal polish
This should bring them up to a good finish with no hard scrubbing or sanding .
See these threads
http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=3858.0
http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=2406.0
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

paulr5604

Quote from: seth on Wednesday, 17 April  2019, 05:12 PM
To clean the worst of the crud off the downpipes use harpic black x10 cleaner (don't get this on any painted area's) put it on with a hard brush leave 5-10mins then wash off well.
See these threads

Thanks very much will give it a try

KiwiCol

Paul, you do realise Blacks are worth heaps more money don't you?  If you really want a Blue & White, fix the black up, sell it buy a Blue & white & keep the change. 

For independent confirmation on the worth of the Blacks, just PM Red Biker.

@Red Biker
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Sir Prancelot

WELOME to the Forum.

Good luck with the project.
:hat: :salute:
It's better to have been a has-been than a never-was!

Mick_J

Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

paulr5604

Quote from: KiwiCol on Wednesday, 17 April  2019, 06:31 PM
Paul, you do realise Blacks are worth heaps more money don't you?  If you really want a Blue & White, fix the black up, sell it buy a Blue & white & keep the change. 

@Red Biker

Sorry what do you mean by blacks the paint on this bike is dark blue or do you mean something different

Basil Brush

Quote from: paulr5604 on Wednesday, 17 April  2019, 05:38 PM
Quote from: seth on Wednesday, 17 April  2019, 05:12 PM
See these threads

Whoooaaaa.... if those pipes are the OEM chrome headers. Try on a very descrete area first. Harpic 10 does wonders for stainless - I know. Dunno how chrome would go on tho. If it's hard rust (usually on 2/3) pots. It's a bugger  to shift.

I replaced with stainless. Then got pissed off with the look. So dug deep and went OEM again.

Thanks very much will give it a try
He who laugh's last - laugh's last...

KiwiCol

Quote from: paulr5604 on Wednesday, 17 April  2019, 08:24 PM

@Red Biker

Sorry what do you mean by blacks the paint on this bike is dark blue or do you mean something different
It is too, my mistake. changed the angle of the laptop & can see it's dark blue.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Red Biker

@Red Biker

I concur with the right honourable Kiwi that Black is indeed the peoples choice, so rather than clean those downpipes you should spray them Black,
you only need to do it once and they always look perfect after a quick wipe  :hat:

Welcome by the way  :onya:
Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

Red Biker

Quote from: KiwiCol on Thursday, 18 April  2019, 02:37 AM

@Red Biker

It is too, my mistake. changed the angle of the laptop & can see it's dark blue.

Damn!  :furious:
Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

paulr5604

Quote from: KiwiCol on Thursday, 18 April  2019, 02:37 AM

@Red Biker

No problem I think I have decided to just wet sand the existing paint and then use some cutting compound and polish to bring it back to life for now and then decide at a later date whether I want to change the colour

Kiwifruit

Welcome Paul.
Am sure the rebuild of your dads bike will be most rewarding. Best of luck  :cheers:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

paulr5604

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Thursday, 18 April  2019, 04:58 PM
Welcome Paul.
Am sure the rebuild of your dads bike will be most rewarding. Best of luck  :cheers:

Thank you

paulr5604

Well work has begun
Before and after

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk