News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Timo's K6 GSX1400 black

Started by Tim1954, Monday, 13 September 2021, 09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim1954

When I bought my bike in August 2020 it was basically standard and had only a GIpro gear indicator installed.

I barely could reach the ground with the tip of my toes, so the first thing was to take the seat to a furniture repair shop specialized to modify motorcycle seats. They lowered the front of the seat by a few cm and replaced the cover with a better material. I also bought a pair of higher heel boots.

The exhaust down pipes were full of bad looking dots which I removed with sand paper. Thanks to the pipes being of stainless steel they are easy to sand and polish. To better protect the pipes and the engine I installed a Pyramid front fender extender.

The bike's generator cover had some scratches indicating the bike had dropped in the past. I removed the scratches with sand paper and finishing paste and installed Fehling crash bars to protect the covers from further droppings.

The biggest modification was to the exhaust system. I removed the ugly bazooka and the original 4-2-1 collector and installed a Black Widow 4-2-2 collector and G.P.R. Furore black slip-ons. Because I wanted the bike to be street legal and to avoid fuel injection remapping I inserted the db killers in the mufflers. Of course the left footrest holder had to be replaced but I got it from Megazip together with the rubber cushion and spacer. At first I removed the main stand and planned to modify it at a later time but luckily I happened to get one cheap from a K2 owner. After sanding and repaint it is like new.

Being a bit lazy lubricating the chain I installed a Cobrra chain lubricator. It is activated by turning the cover of a small tank in the steering rod after every 300 km or so and lubricates the chain during a short ride automatically.

There is a photo of my bike in my post to the introductions section.

https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=6481.0

Mick_J

Tim, stiletto high heeled boots is not a good look for a GSX 1400 rider.  :whistling:
Perhaps something a bit more manly would be appropriate.  :lol:
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Tim1954

You are absolutely right! But they are practical. What would you suggest for a replacement?

Hooli

Quote from: mjgt on Monday, 13 September  2021, 10:22 PM
Tim, stiletto high heeled boots is not a good look for a GSX 1400 rider.  :whistling:
Perhaps something a bit more manly would be appropriate.  :lol:

Now that depends entirely on the GSX1400 rider...

Russty

What's your impressions of the black widow exchaust? I just discovered them and wondering if it's worth getting a 4-2 set sent down under. I'm a fan of the oem look so I might fit my oem silencers
Not every great bike is a 1400 - but every 1400 is a great bike - except Hyabusas - them not so much

Tim1954

@Russty IMO it's OK. At first I did not like the look of it because of the gap indicated in the picture below but I've got used to it. There are many posts discussing the BW collector which you may look at by typing "black widow" in the search box.

grog

Russty, check out Pipework Techniques, might save you lots of bucks. Mate got a system from Black Widow, Yamaha not 14. Was top quality stuff.

Tim1954

Since the bike is 16 years old and has 45000 kms I did a lot of service during the winter:

- front wheel bearings
- front fork seals, bushes and oil, added protective stickers
- Wezmoto braided brake and clutch hoses
- clutch slave cylinder rubber cover
- fuel tank phosphoric acid treatment
- cleaned fuel filters and changed o-rings
- new fuel cap seal from Triumph (triumphparts.co.uk)
- new fuel lines
- new Yuasa battery and NGK spark plugs
- brighter chromed turn signals (amazon.de)
- Just Bandits radiator cover

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Tim1954 on Friday, 15 April  2022, 04:20 PM
@Russty IMO it's OK. At first I did not like the look of it because of the gap indicated in the picture below but I've got used to it. There are many posts discussing the BW collector which you may look at by typing "black widow" in the search box.

That gap doesn't look right to me, the collector part looks like it needs to go further to the left and the collar of the downpipe to seat inside.  See photo from the BW website. https://50.cdn.ekm.net/ekmps/shops/sandybikespares/images/GSX1400-4-1-Full-Exhaust-System-200mm-Oval-Black-Stainless-Carbon-Tip-Silencer-[3]-34720-p.jpg?v=194b4d39-a0ad-43e1-910b-76192123686a
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Tim1954

@Eric GSX1400K3
I have original downpipes and they do not go further inside the BW collector. Probably the BW downpipes are different.

Eric GSX1400K3

Ah righto, thought they were BW downpipes as well.  All good.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk